SSPX take over ICK church in San Jose CA

Started by ADMG, December 16, 2013, 05:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

I'm not talking about priests owning property, but a group of laymen owning a church and bringing in or kicking priests out at will.

Bonaventure

That's how the show is run in the Silicon Valley. One family wields tremendous power.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 19, 2013, 02:31:33 PM
That's how the show is run in the Silicon Valley. One family wields tremendous power.

Do they work for Google?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

I've had experience attending a Mass where the chapel-goers controlled the property (a board of directors, basically).

I never really felt comfortable with that situation.  The chapel brought in the SSPX after their old priest had gotten too old to be the sole priest for the chapel, but then there were apparently some issues with the chapel, especially with having a Sung Mass each week (apparently, it took "too long", having a choir and all.... :rolleyes: ). 

But, I don't think the laity controlling the chapel is at all desirable. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

DanielVu

UPDATE
Immaculate Heart of Mary Oratory (ICKSP Apostolate in San Jose) are no longer at Five Wounds Portuguese National Church. During June 2020 when the Pandemic Protocols was a little bit eased we rented a parking lot owned by the Knight of Columbus and we have our Liturgies there for almost the whole summer. After that we found a small commercial building in a Shopping Mall and started to hold Liturgies there indoor for awhile. Suddenly, around Advent-Christmas time the county order us to go back to outdoor activities. I still remember seeing the ushers and parishioners helps out setting up canopies, heaters and chairs for the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice and other events. Even though we were watching Mass outdoor through a large window at the side of the building we were able to celebrate big feast such as Assumption of Our Lady and Christmas. Despite all of this difficulties we face we still offered Our Lord the best we could. Through those hard times, parishioners got more connected to each other and know more about each other.
Today, we are still at the Shopping Center but the building will be destroyed in March 2021, therefore I ask you to pray for us to have our own church just like the most of the ICKSP apostolates are.

Miriam_M

Quote from: DanielVu on June 28, 2021, 09:35:41 AM

Today, we are still at the Shopping Center but the building will be destroyed in March 2021,

4:40 PM
Monday, June 28, 2021
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Insanis

Quote from: Miriam_M on June 28, 2021, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: DanielVu on June 28, 2021, 09:35:41 AM

Today, we are still at the Shopping Center but the building will be destroyed in March 2021,

4:40 PM
Monday, June 28, 2021
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

It appears we have a time traveling necromancer here.

The names in this thread bring back memories though.

Jayne

The building project replacing the shopping center where they hold Mass is due to start construction in 2022. So that is likely when the destruction of the current building is planned.  The 2021 date was probably just a typo.

Not that I have anything against time travel.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

lauermar

Hmmmm. The archdiocese of Albany, NY had no problem replacing a deceased priest pastor with a lay woman who has a divinity degree. It's an experiment called priestless parishes. They welcome it and brag about it. Now if the lay people who want to run it are traditional Catholics, suddenly it is a problem.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2021/02/18/parish-life-director-catholic-woman-240050
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)