Daily prayers for children

Started by Chestertonian, April 03, 2018, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

i keep worrying about my son.  he has very little consistency in his life especially rigt now.  we have zero family prayer life, he spends most of his time with his Catholic nanny and his Jewish grandmother and aunts and uncles.  The nanny is good about praying with the kids, they alway say the rosary and she takes them to Mass (novus ordo or TLM depending on what day and where they are)

my older son (7.5) is a self starter and has the morning offering memorized, he's very good about saying that every night, and saying the Angelus at school (he sets his watch to noon)...he's good about saying grace before meals regardless of who he's eating with whether it's public school cafeteria, or with his jewish relatives, or at a restaurant, we taught him to bow his head and say grace quietly.  If he doesn't pray the Rosary with the nanny or with one of us (that doesnt happpen much these days) he is good about making sure he says it.

Even though he's a really anxious kid I think prayer has really been a stabilizing force when everything else is unpredictable and I was wondering if there was any kind of kid's version of a breviary--some kind of book he can take with him that has prayers for each time of day.  Obviously he's not going to be chanting from the Liber at this age but the ones aimed at his age group tend to be goofy and made up.  does such a thing exist for children? 

i think he likes the idea of praying the angelus because we told him that Catholics traditionally pray it every day at noon so even if you're the only Catholic at recess and no one else is bowing their head and remembering the incarnation of Christ, there are other Catholics out there, somewhere, praying the same prayer so we feel less alone.  My wife says the angelus so she told him that even if she's at work, or in the hospital, wherever she is, she never forgets to say the angelus.  Me, I'm less predictable.  I sleep through it a lot or I lose track of time.  but they are both good about it and so is the nanny

i think the breviary would hold the same appeal but it's a little too complicated for a 7.5 year old even one with a good reading level.  i can barely keep track of all the ribbons and stuff

it just needs to be something he can do without assistance
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Non Nobis

God has blessed your sons with a good Catholic father and mother!

I found this; I don't know if is too young for your son:  https://www.amazon.com/This-What-Pray-Today-Children/dp/0525478280#customerReviews

Another idea is "The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary". It's not really for children, but at least it is a small book, easier to carry.

Happy Easter to you and your family, Chestertonian! It is so good to get a glimpse of your lives.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Xavier

Wonderful, Ches. You have a beautiful family. Hope you have a blessed Easter season.

I second NN's suggestion. Here's a Little Office booklet with a preface from Fr. Berg, FSSP. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-English/dp/1905574401 227 pages. It's priced at 34.95, hope that's not a strain. Hope it proves useful for your son! I wish someone had given me a prayer book of the little office at 7 and a half! I had almost no idea about it until much later in life! But seriously, I think it'll be just about right, neither too easy for his age, as are some children's prayers; nor one that is too difficult either - an appropriate prayer for a growing, pious child. Your son already seems to have a regular prayer life; which is just great and the LO of the BVM will help develop and sustain that. Some I guess would advise waiting for a few years before the LO, but personally I feel at 7.5 the time is right. It's a great blessing to develop a regular prayer rhythm early in life.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Obrien