An atheist with faith...

Started by houseofcantor, December 31, 2013, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houseofcantor

All I wanna know is what happened to http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=454...  :tongue:

Other than that, I remember standing before the creator of the universe and accepting the title of prophet, which has inspired me to interact virtually. (Cause let me tell ya, up close and personal, prophet is a dangerous title. :D )

C.Z.

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people" - G.K. Chesterton.

"To be able to speak the Truth and yet remain silent is to draw down the anger of God" - St. Justin Martyr

Jayne

Welcome. That is an interesting person you chose as your screen name and avatar.  I looked up Georg Cantor on Wikipedia and it says
QuoteTo Cantor, his mathematical views were intrinsically linked to their philosophical and theological implications – he identified the Absolute Infinite with God, and he considered his work on transfinite numbers to have been directly communicated to him by God, who had chosen Cantor to reveal them to the world.
Do you also believe this about the Absolute Infinite?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

houseofcantor

Quote from: Jayne on December 31, 2013, 01:11:53 PM
Welcome. That is an interesting person you chose as your screen name and avatar.  I looked up Georg Cantor on Wikipedia and it says
QuoteTo Cantor, his mathematical views were intrinsically linked to their philosophical and theological implications – he identified the Absolute Infinite with God, and he considered his work on transfinite numbers to have been directly communicated to him by God, who had chosen Cantor to reveal them to the world.
Do you also believe this about the Absolute Infinite?

Yes on the link, no on the Absolute Infinite.

Scriptural tradition seems to require "prophets" to belong to "a house," therefore I claim 'spiritual descendance' from 'the last known prophet, Georg Cantor' as I feel that we are 'birds of a feather.' If there is a flaw in ancient understanding in terms of bloodline, I would add memetics; as an Irish American, I cannot readily trace my bloodline to David, but I can trace my conceptualization to Georg Cantor, i. e. one who is challenged by god to do a seemingly insurmountable task...

At this point I feel I should interject what I believe should be the 'actual definition' of atheist - one who rejects contemporary theology - in contrast to the currently established 'one who lacks belief in deities' expression. I do not 'lack belief,' or, more locally appropriately here, 'my faith is not in question;' I actively dispute a "creationist/personal god' revelation.

As for "absolute infinite," Georg was constrained by contemporary theology and it abandoned him. Man was a prophet, and was ridiculed for daring to question the status quo. I do not believe in that god. I believe in testing boundaries, tossing tables, and that when God is ready to ask questions, I am there to answer them, a.k.a. Job.

houseofcantor

Recovering NOer

Jayne

Quote from: houseofcantor on December 31, 2013, 01:46:42 PM
Scriptural tradition seems to require "prophets" to belong to "a house," therefore I claim 'spiritual descendance' from 'the last known prophet, Georg Cantor' as I feel that we are 'birds of a feather.' If there is a flaw in ancient understanding in terms of bloodline, I would add memetics; as an Irish American, I cannot readily trace my bloodline to David, but I can trace my conceptualization to Georg Cantor, i. e. one who is challenged by god to do a seemingly insurmountable task...

You have a sense of spiritual kinship with Georg Cantor.  I can relate to that.  Sometimes I learn about a Catholic of the past and have such a sense.

At this point I feel I should interject what I believe should be the 'actual definition' of atheist - one who rejects contemporary theology - in contrast to the currently established 'one who lacks belief in deities' expression. I do not 'lack belief,' or, more locally appropriately here, 'my faith is not in question;' I actively dispute a "creationist/personal god' revelation.

The conventional definition of atheist is justified by both usage and etymology.  I see no grounds for rejecting it.  Adopting idiosyncratic definitions is a poor communication strategy.  Your position seems to be a good match for the conventional definition of deism.  Here is the Wikipedia version:
QuoteDeism is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a Creator, accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge.
Is there some reason that you do not like the term "deism"?

As for "absolute infinite," Georg was constrained by contemporary theology and it abandoned him. Man was a prophet, and was ridiculed for daring to question the status quo. I do not believe in that god. I believe in testing boundaries, tossing tables, and that when God is ready to ask questions, I am there to answer them, a.k.a. Job.

According to Scriptural accounts of prophets it is typical for them to be ridiculed.  Jeremiah and Isaiah, for example, faced ridicule, although I do not think it can be argued that they rejected contemporary theology.

LouisIX

Just to be clear, are you claiming the power of prophecy?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

houseofcantor

Quote from: LouisIX on December 31, 2013, 02:26:04 PM

"Prophecy" is merely "to speak for god." Does anyone here not do that?  :tongue:

The prophet, as defined by scripture, is one who works with "wondrous sign," not one who "predicts the future;" that is a modern definition. ;)

Thing about power is, it is not taken, but rather given. Catholics, I suspect, give power to the Pope, in much the same manner modern atheists give power to Richard Dawkins. My personal "proselytizing" is rather limited, and I really ain't here for that. KC, or locally, "Zzyzx," posted on TTA about coming here and I drifted by to "testify" about the quality of his character, not much more...

Of course, now that I'm here and stuff, and not banned yet... :D

Basilios

So....... Like.... I'm confused.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

voxxpopulisuxx

Job asked God questions but God cleared a few things up for him.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: houseofcantor on December 31, 2013, 02:45:05 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on December 31, 2013, 02:26:04 PM

"Prophecy" is merely "to speak for god." Does anyone here not do that?  :tongue:

The prophet, as defined by scripture, is one who works with "wondrous sign," not one who "predicts the future;" that is a modern definition. ;)

Thing about power is, it is not taken, but rather given. Catholics, I suspect, give power to the Pope, in much the same manner modern atheists give power to Richard Dawkins. My personal "proselytizing" is rather limited, and I really ain't here for that. KC, or locally, "Zzyzx," posted on TTA about coming here and I drifted by to "testify" about the quality of his character, not much more...

does Character mean whiney?
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Recovering NOer

LOL ... thank you for clearing this up, something really did seem "off" about that.

Quote from: houseofcantor
Quote from: Zzyzx"Im the highest rated member on the site by a large margin"

There you go, lighting up a pet peeve. Mofo goes around here begging for rep, then goes over there spouting off like rep means something. :dodgy:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-My-short-time-on-Suscipe-Domine?page=2

Jayne

Quote from: houseofcantor on December 31, 2013, 02:45:05 PMKC, or locally, "Zzyzx," posted on TTA about coming here and I drifted by to "testify" about the quality of his character, not much more...

I liked KC and would have enjoyed talking with him more.  I think it is admirable to want to stand up for a friend.