Being a good godparent

Started by Kaesekopf, April 25, 2024, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I was recently asked and served as the godparent for a friend's child.  This is my first godchild.

What do you usually do as part of being a godparent?  Annual gifts?  Daily prayer?  Is it weird to have Masses said for the child? 

What do you all normally do?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 25, 2024, 09:52:10 AMI was recently asked and served as the godparent for a friend's child.  This is my first godchild.

What do you usually do as part of being a godparent?  Annual gifts?  Daily prayer?  Is it weird to have Masses said for the child? 

What do you all normally do?

Pray as often as I can.

Give money as often as I am available.

My godson is family and in a NO family. My goddaughter is trad but the family moved and lives far away.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

queen.saints

In France the traditional present is a solid gold medal as a Christening present by the godfather, the godmother buys a solid gold chain to go with it, and this is just a symbol of all that you're going to be investing for the rest of your life.

Being asked to be a godparent is like a marriage proposal.

People often ask "Who are your parents?" And "Who are your godparents?" close together.

In Mexico my friend's godparents bought her the "lasso" for her wedding that was made of jewels.

I read in a manners book one time that in many Catholic countries the child's first cross made with a decent material is a traditional present.

In Ireland a beautiful baptismal shawl is the traditional present.

In Protestant countries a silver or pewter cup is traditional and these are readily available in America and England.

In most countries it's traditional to give a good wedding present. 

I heard you're supposed to pray for your godchildren everyday (mea culpa) and even if their parents are doing a good job be always looking out for their spiritual welfare. Fun books about the saints and Catholic dolls for girls are things kids tend to love.

The sermon in our church a few weeks ago mentioned that godparents have more authority over a child than anyone else besides their parents, including grandparents (French priest).
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

queen.saints

Definitely not weird at all to have Masses said.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

queen.saints

EastWest7

My godson's mother was and is unmarried. By God's grace she became (what I would call) a highly observant, devout novus ordo Catholic, belongs to an almost traditional parish.

I used to talk to my godson in his younger years about the basics of the Catholic faith. He was confirmed and I had taken him to a Byzantine Catholic parish on occasion.
He got married in the Church and he and his wife have four kids (so far). He is a fine young man, husband and father. I continue to pray almost daily for him and his family. I'm proud of him... although looking back, I really haven't done all that much as his godfather. I could have done more.   
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Michael Wilson

We are supposed to pray for our godchildren and see that they are instructed and brought up in the faith, if their parents fail to do so. Practically in most cases our involvement with them ends after the day of baptism; but it is still our duty to pray for them. I cannot remember the names of all of my godchildren (not that I have that many, I just have a poor memory), so I pray for "my godchildren" at Mass. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

I wanted very much to be godmother to my niece, but my sister chose a couple nearer their own age, as they wanted them to take my niece and raise her if anything happened to my sister and her husband. That's her understanding of what a godparent is: someone to raise the child if anything happens to the parents.
My Lord and my God.