Bishop Barron at it again

Started by Mr. Mysterious, March 04, 2021, 05:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Mysterious

"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Elizabeth.2

People are showing their true colors right and left these days.

ralfy

Also, in reference to the point raised concerning Pope Benedict XVI:

"Pope Benedict XVI likes the Novus Ordo"

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: ralfy on March 04, 2021, 07:33:44 PM

Even though in the past he's called it "fabricated liturgy" and "a banal, on the spot product."

Miriam_M

I went to the article and found the diversion more interesting -- the "mean and judgmental" video, LOL. 

I actually think a lot of the comments were spot on because although it sounded at the beginning like just another trash-trads-party, it ended up being much more truthful about the superficiality of the N.O.M. and the "expectations" there than I would have guessed from the beginning.  I guess the host is in the process of making some film with several European and other locations, regarding the Latin Mass.

The men, especially, were totally spot on about the purpose of the traditional Mass and how being serious about one's presence has nothing to do with being "mean and nasty" to newcomers but rather shutting everything out except our prayerful presence because it is not about people and how they relate to each other; it's about God.

One of the men also made a really great point about the refuge of the TLM and the instinctive protectiveness about that sacred space -- that gets translated into "unwelcoming," which --again-- shifts the focus to so-called social responsibility at an unsocial occasion.

This all strikes a chord with me because I'm in crisis with a friend from the N.O. who claims she wants to learn Tradition, but she is so closed to anything but a subjective experience of religion and so threatened by anything except subjectivity, that I'm finding this very painful and it is definitively straining our friendship. I may open a different thread in the hopes of getting some advice.

Xavier

Good article. Bp. Barron needs to change some of his opinions on "dare we hope" etc and on the universal necessity of Christ for salvation, and his hostility toward trads. If the Church doesn't believe and preach that there is no salvation without Jesus Christ, She will soon find She seems to have no raison d'etre. Bp. Barron does do some good work otherwise, and some non-Catholics have entered the Church thanks to him, so I hope H.E. corrects his opinion on these matters, and then he could begin to do truly useful work for the Church, by holding to orthodox doctrine.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

MaximGun

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on March 04, 2021, 08:17:24 PM

Even though in the past he's called it "fabricated liturgy" and "a banal, on the spot product."

As Pope Benedict how many public old-rite masses did he say?

I rest my case.

Vincentus Ioannes

If he thought that, why didn't he do something about it?

Christina_S

How timely. I'm part of a moms group that has mostly FSSP attendees, along with a few NO ladies, one of whom announced her departure recently. This was in the wake of a loooooong conversation about Bishop Barron and why trads dislike him, as well as some chatter about the risks of vaccination (typical moms group).

I still don't know how some people are willing to gobble him up without an ounce of suspicion that he may not be right about everything.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

King Wenceslas

If we were in 350 AD, who should we be listening too?

Pope Liberius or Bishop Athanasius?

Who should we be listening to in 2021 AD

Bishop Barron or Bishop Vigano or Bishop Schneider?

Don't waste your time on Barron. He is not a Catholic Bishop. The church of man he is creating will crumble into dust when God decides.

Time for all of us to move on and stop fretting about what these apostates say about us.

Lynne

Quote from: Christina_S on March 05, 2021, 12:39:56 PM
How timely. I'm part of a moms group that has mostly FSSP attendees, along with a few NO ladies, one of whom announced her departure recently. This was in the wake of a loooooong conversation about Bishop Barron and why trads dislike him, as well as some chatter about the risks of vaccination (typical moms group).

I still don't know how some people are willing to gobble him up without an ounce of suspicion that he may not be right about everything.

It's as if they believe the whole hierarchy is infallible.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

ralfy

Yes, and they're mentioned here:

https://taylormarshall.com/2013/01/eleven-great-quotes-from-pope-benedict.html

The strange thing is that points for and against it are given in the same sources. Meanwhile, points against were raised from around 1972 to around 2000, and points for from 1985 to around 2007.

My guess is that for points against he wasn't referring to form but to practice. And that the EF was allowed for those who miss it.

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Vincentus Ioannes on March 05, 2021, 12:26:46 PM

Because for the past 60 odd years or so Rome's policy has been that when a mistake has been made they don't try to correct it, they try and live with it.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on March 05, 2021, 09:46:47 PM
Quote from: Vincentus Ioannes on March 05, 2021, 12:26:46 PM

Because for the past 60 odd years or so Rome's policy has been that when a mistake has been made they don't try to correct it, they try and live with it.

That's been Rome for the past 1000 years to be fair
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

lauermar

This part of the article resonated with me personally:

"When you read Barron's descriptions of traditionalist Catholics, you find the words "extreme," "radical," and "angry" peppered throughout. Apparently, in his view traditional Catholics are a fringe movement of socially-inept people who desire to overthrow the Church and install their own 1950's-style religion in its place...it's true that traditional Catholics have long had a reputation for being mean and judgmental. This reputation is partially justified. From the early 1970's until Pope Benedict's motu proprio liberalizing the use of the traditional Latin Mass, traditional Catholics were truly on the peripheries of the Church."

I must admit that I fit the definition and it has turned many people off. Other traditionalists are not like that, they're far more humble than I am. After the election aftermath I've had some months to examine my conscience and start an Ignatian Spiritual Exercise program. I pray that it will help me change. I had to reduce my time listening and reading angry conservative blogs because they were an occasion of sin for me.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)