TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: Angelorum on April 03, 2014, 10:23:09 PM
Does baseball count? If so, I've certainly enjoyed myself this week.  8)

Only if it is the Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, or Boston Red Sox. If it's the LA or NY teams, then it is single A, San Diego chicken calibre baloney. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Habitual_Ritual

Vikings season 2. Awesome show. and not so much nudity this time round.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Angelorum on April 03, 2014, 10:23:09 PM
Does baseball count? If so, I've certainly enjoyed myself this week.  8)

Only if I can include paint drying:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZr3WbMQ6w[/yt]
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

Heinrich

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on April 06, 2014, 05:05:59 PM

It is certainly well-produced and entertaining. What I have a problem with is, ironically, the historically inaccurate depictions of Catholicism.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Heinrich on April 06, 2014, 05:18:34 PM

It is certainly well-produced and entertaining. What I have a problem with is, ironically, the historically inaccurate depictions of Catholicism.

Actually the viking depictions are also inaccurate. The crucifixion scene was just silly.It has more of a graphic novel feel to me.
Discussed here:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-gladnick/2014/04/04/vikings-portrays-crucifixion-normal-church-punishment-apostates

Heinrich

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on April 06, 2014, 05:29:57 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on April 06, 2014, 05:18:34 PM

Actually the viking depictions are also inaccurate. The crucifixion scene was just silly.It has more of a graphic novel feel to me.
Discussed here:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-gladnick/2014/04/04/vikings-portrays-crucifixion-normal-church-punishment-apostates

To add: the ad populus Mass with unleavened bread and, of course, the noble savage's amicus curiae rendering of humane justice to the peasant woman contrary to the barbaric tradition of the Christian king.

red solo cup

The Fall with Gillian Anderson
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

I watched an episode of Chrisley Knows Best on USA. I really, really disliked it.
My Lord and my God.

The Harlequin King

I saw the first episode of Turn, a drama on AMC about a spy ring during the American Revolutionary War. I enjoyed it, though not everyone will.

dymphna17

Quote from: Bernadette on April 09, 2014, 09:29:59 AM
I watched an episode of Chrisley Knows Best on USA. I really, really disliked it.

It's sad to see men going down the attention whore road.  Especially when you can see they have some good fatherly instincts ("Class, not ass") but let the world take them so they can look good. 
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

LouisIX

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 09, 2014, 10:01:17 AM
I saw the first episode of Turn, a drama on AMC about a spy ring during the American Revolutionary War. I enjoyed it, though not everyone will.

Why is that?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

They have nudity on the History Channel?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on April 09, 2014, 02:22:14 PM

Ratings, bro
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LouisIX

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 09, 2014, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on April 09, 2014, 02:22:14 PM

Ratings, bro

I just didn't know it was possible.  I thought cable still had censorship.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: LouisIX on April 09, 2014, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 09, 2014, 10:01:17 AM

Why is that?

A lot of reviewers have been complaining about how, hmm, conventional it is; evil redcoats, virtuous rural patriots, that sort of thing. I think that a.) we've been spoiled by modern television and expect serious shows to all have the grittiness of Breaking Bad or the lavish costume and set budget of Game of Thrones/the size of George R.R. Martin's waistline. And b.) the show might be considered boring to those who aren't already interested in American Revolutionary War history because of its pace and subject matter.