A Celebrity with the Right Idea

Started by Jayne, August 21, 2013, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Here is the latest picture of Benedict Cumberbatch making the rounds:

A lot of the time people's interest in celebrities is out of proportion to their actual importance.  Benedict Cumberbatch found a good way to express this idea when he recently encountered photographers while filming Sherlock.

I think that being interested in celebrities is probably harmless enough,  in general.  But it is good to get a reminder like this once in a while.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

voxxpopulisuxx

Man I wish netflix would play the new episodes of sherlock...the first season was fantastic!
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Roland Deschain

Am I supposed to know who this "celebrity" is?  :huh:
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Adeodatus

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on August 21, 2013, 05:47:22 PM
Man I wish netflix would play the new episodes of sherlock...the first season was fantastic!

They have Season 2 also.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Larry

Quote from: Roland Deschain on August 21, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

I think he played Khan in the newest Star Trek movie.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Larry S. on August 21, 2013, 06:58:43 PM

I think he played Khan in the newest Star Trek movie.

Well I certainly wouldn't know him from a Star Trek movie.
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Archer

Vox referenced it, but he is more well known for playing Sherlock Holmes in BBC's new "Sherlock" TV series.  If you haven't seen it you really should.

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Othmar

I wonder if he is talking about the Copts or the "poor Muslim Brotherhood". I can't really say for sure what his political views are, either.

Jayne

He is an actor so there is no reason you would know his name unless you follow such things.  Very few celebrities are famous for doing something important.  I thought this story was interesting in that the celebrity himself seems to acknowledge this.

Roland Deschain

Quote from: RealJayneK on August 22, 2013, 03:31:04 AM

He is an actor so there is no reason you would know his name unless you follow such things.  Very few celebrities are famous for doing something important.  I thought this story was interesting in that the celebrity himself seems to acknowledge this.

Oh I agree with you there. I suppose that either the term "celebrity" doesn't carry as much weight as it used to or that I am simply "out of the loop." I'm guessing it is probably mostly the latter.

Anyway.....if he is speaking about the persecution of the Copts then I say good for him.

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on August 22, 2013, 12:00:47 AM
I wonder if he is talking about the Copts or the "poor Muslim Brotherhood". I can't really say for sure what his political views are, either.
He is probably liberal and he probably doesn't even know what a Copt is. That being said it's kinda nice to see a celebrity(not really big stateside, but huge in UK) caring about SOMETHING other than him/her self.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Othmar

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 22, 2013, 04:17:03 AM
He is probably liberal and he probably doesn't even know what a Copt is. That being said it's kinda nice to see a celebrity(not really big stateside, but huge in UK) caring about SOMETHING other than him/her self.
Ah, 'liberal', that's really one of those points in which American usage and our Belgian use differ. Liberals are most often conservatives here, but I take it you mean something similar to "progressive", right?

This doesn't sound that progressive: [I'm] castigated as a moaning, rich, public-school bastard, complaining about only getting posh roles. . . . It's just so predictable. . . so domestic, and so dumb. . . . It makes me think I want to go to America. But as I said, he doesn't talk about politics often, so it's hard to find his views.

Jayne

Quote from: Roland Deschain on August 22, 2013, 03:50:43 AM
Quote from: RealJayneK on August 22, 2013, 03:31:04 AM

Oh I agree with you there. I suppose that either the term "celebrity" doesn't carry as much weight as it used to or that I am simply "out of the loop." I'm guessing it is probably mostly the latter.

Anyway.....if he is speaking about the persecution of the Copts then I say good for him.

I figured that any actor that I had heard of must be pretty famous. I'm usually the one "out of loop." :D

I first came across the picture in a collection of articles about the persecution of the Copts so I assumed that was what he was referring to.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on August 22, 2013, 05:11:09 AM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 22, 2013, 04:17:03 AM
Ah, 'liberal', that's really one of those points in which American usage and our Belgian use differ. Liberals are most often conservatives here, but I take it you mean something similar to "progressive", right?

Yeah, kinda like the UK's Labor party. (maybe you know about them, they are a Little closer to where you are. 
Probably a better analogy would be that Barack Obama is a "liberal" Even though you are Belgian you MUST know about our wonderful leader.  :P
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Othmar

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 22, 2013, 06:02:45 AM
Yeah, kinda like the UK's Labor party. (maybe you know about them, they are a Little closer to where you are. 
Probably a better analogy would be that Barack Obama is a "liberal" Even though you are Belgian you MUST know about our wonderful leader.  :P
Obama is extremely popular here. But he would be considered centre-right if he were Belgian politician.