To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Chestertonian

cheesy dance music from the workout DVD my wife is doing.  I don't understand why people exercise to terrible "jock jams" music...

apparently the exercise program is  called "insanity" which sums up the musical selection
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

PerEvangelicaDicta

LOL Ches!!

PDR, would you kindly post the title of your selection?  For some reason, I cannot listen to/view embedded videos on SD - no doubt it's on my end due to security features. I've turned them off when visiting this site, but alas no luck.  Thank you for listening to my tale of woe  :P
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Mono no aware

P.E.D., it's "You Wear It Well," a golden oldie by Rod Stewart from that brief early part of his career when he was making fine music.  I've long thought Rod the Mod would've had an enduring legacy had he died some tragic death in 1973, before he could embarrass himself with all that awful vanilla soul and disco stuff from the late 70s and the cheesy pop of the 80s, and marrying and divorcing a parade of increasingly younger blonde models.  He burned brightly for a few years and then took a disastrous nosedive.  The moral of the story, I guess, is that you have to know when to quit while you're ahead.  I do give him some small credit for never abandoning his trademark "rooster feathers" hairstyle.  At least that's one area where he can't be accused of shamelessly bending to the shifting winds of trendiness.

PerEvangelicaDicta

thank you friend.
Did you like him in Small Faces / Faces?  My oldest brother was a fan of that evolution, and then with R.S.'s first 1 or 2 solo albums. I preferred Steve Marriott/Humble Pie, but I was quite young, and my ear is more geared toward instrumental than vocal. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled

Mono no aware

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on May 15, 2017, 11:23:41 AM
thank you friend.
Did you like him in Small Faces / Faces?  My oldest brother was a fan of that evolution, and then with R.S.'s first 1 or 2 solo albums. I preferred Steve Marriott/Humble Pie, but I was quite young, and my ear is more geared toward instrumental than vocal.

Yes, I am definitely more a fan of the Small Faces ? Faces ? Rod the Mod progression, whereas Humble Pie, for me, tends to the more "boogie rock" or "jam rock" side of things, which isn't really my cup of tea.  A lot of this stuff was incubated in the Yardbirds scene, of course, but Led Zeppelin would definitely be my favorite from among the descendants of the British blues.  Heavier and more psychedelic.  I like the bowed guitars, the Celtic tunings, and the Indian drums, and all that.  I was in diapers when all this was going on.  In terms of my remembrances, the 70s sound like the stuff my mom listened to on the radio: Jim Croce, John Denver, Carole King, the Carpenters, &c.—anything that had gentle acoustic guitars, honeyed voices, and muzak orchestrations.  I had no idea Led Zeppelin even existed.

PerEvangelicaDicta

In diapers, close!  Much of this I discovered after the fact, like LZ.  You describe the appeal for me precisely: " bowed guitars, the Celtic tunings, and the Indian drums" + complicated rhythms are just, well, more interesting.
Pre traditional days - just after 911 - I saw an LZ cover band that was spectacular in reproduction. Unforgettable.
Now, after traditional conversion if you will, while I appreciate the talent of these musicians, my selections are those that, when I stand before the King, I won't be ashamed. However, I can assure you my current music selections have absolutely no taint of 70's style (kill me now), and I've always abhorred the banal sounds of most top 40. 
Big band, classical, sacred and... wait for it! ... bossa nova  :P

Mono no aware

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on May 15, 2017, 02:04:37 PM
In diapers, close!  Much of this I discovered after the fact, like LZ.  You describe the appeal for me precisely: " bowed guitars, the Celtic tunings, and the Indian drums" + complicated rhythms are just, well, more interesting.
Pre traditional days - just after 911 - I saw an LZ cover band that was spectacular in reproduction. Unforgettable.
Now, after traditional conversion if you will, while I appreciate the talent of these musicians, my selections are those that, when I stand before the King, I won't be ashamed. However, I can assure you my current music selections have absolutely no taint of 70's style (kill me now), and I've always abhorred the banal sounds of most top 40. 
Big band, classical, sacred and... wait for it! ... bossa nova

I was very much of the same mind when I became a traditional Catholic.  I mostly just listened to classical—and minimalist classical at that, like Bach's cello suites and Goldberg variations, and Arvo Pärt, or very "early" types of classical, like recreations of the period when Italians played a cousin of the bagpipes, or Ensemble Organum singing Machaut.  After Summorum Pontificum flooded the pews with a wave of young hipsters, I got labelled a "nutter" fairly often if I dared to peep a word in opposition to rock music.  Eventually I got so disheartened that I surrendered on most of my "hardline" or "kook" stances, but there are about fifteen pages of this thread dedicated to a short period when I dusted off the old anti-rock-n'-roll position.  Needless to say, I received some heated disagreement.

I do not think I would be able to identify bossa nova if I heard it.  What's the form of Latin music that uses steel drums?  I think the steel drums are my least favorite musical instrument "of all time," as they say. My blood curdles at the sound.  Steel drums are the sound of awful television advertisements for tropical resorts, where blandly good-looking middle-class surburbanites are shown on Caribbean beaches dressed in pastel colors "getting away from it all," and at night they're sipping piña coladas by the light of tiki torches and swaying their hips to steel drums.  There are also steel drums in that abhorrent 80s Beach Boys song, "Kokomo."  What a piece of unimaginable dreck that song is.  I'm sure it's been used in resort commercials.  The steel drums: get thee behind me, Satan!  I sure hate hip-hop, but I think I would rather spend an afternoon with inner-city juvenile thugs listening to hip-hop than with blandly good-looking middle-class suburbanites listening to "Kokomo."

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

INPEFESS

Listen to the whole thing before you reach your verdict...

Oh, and turn up the volume. 😉

Edited to Add:

Here is the track list along with my own interpretation of the album's unique fitness for telling, through music, the greatest story ever told.

01. Before Time - His Divine Plan
02. Creation of Earth - Creation
03. Sun - Garden of Eden
04. Cry -The Fall
05. Our Destiny - Hoping for the Prophesied Redemption
06. New Life - The Annunciation
07. Final Frontier - Census
08. Starchild - Emmanuel!
09. Cassandra - Mary's Love for Her Son
10. Colors of Love - His Public Life
11. Always Mine - The Chosen 12 (hear Judas?)
12. Dragonland - Satan's Plot
13. Fearless - Death's Triumph
14. Empire of Angels -  The Elect Awaiting His Return
15. Two Hearts - The Resurrection
16. In Paradisum - Reunion with the Father
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<