To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vox Clara

Quote from: Prayerful on February 17, 2022, 03:00:37 PM
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05iEjaPQ_2A[/yt]

BUT JESUS PASSED...
Posted on February 20, 2013
The title of this blog is taken from a 15th-century setting of the Credo written by Robert Wylkynson. The body of the piece, the creed, is bookended by a simple, three bar chant-like motive on the text "Jesus autem transiens", or, "But Jesus passed", which is taken from Luke 4, where Jesus turns and walks through a crowd that had been attempting to throw him off a cliff.

Screen shot 2013-02-19 at 5.20.44 PM

The genius of the piece is that it is written as a canon, with the opening phrase – "Jesus autem transiens" – setting the period. Wylkynson then divided the creed into 12 parts, labeling each with the name of one of the twelve apostles. Add in the first phrase and you get 13 parts in total: Jesus plus the disciples. It's not coincidental that the piece has a range of exactly 13 notes. When the  canon is sung as indicated with 13 voices, the opening/closing motif is always present, i.e. Jesus is always walking through while the creed is being sung. It's a theatrical setting, and while the music is fine as is, the symbolism is what really strikes me. I suppose the whole thing could be viewed as a stunt, or even a musical joke, but I find it both incredibly resonant and also open-ended. Here is a great clamor of voices singing out the creed, and all the while Jesus is very purposefully walking through. The word "amidst" comes to mind.

The idea of Jesus passing by, or through, my life is a powerful image. I don't mean to discount any way in which Jesus is present in a more immediate way, but when my life often feels clamorous and chaotic, the idea of Jesus walking calmly and quietly through, leading the way, has more immediacy. Peace, and also purpose – off he heads to the next healing in Capernaum. There is more work to be done, there are more steps to be taken, there is more to learn, more following to be done.

I find myself with that opening chant stuck in my head a lot lately. Although I am hard-pressed for specifics, it is comforting and calming to think of Jesus walking through, past, alongside, amidst. Regardless of where I find myself – joy, pain, confusion, clarity, closeness, distance – it's good to have something in my pocket to remind me that he's walking through it, leading on to the next thing.

source

Stunning. Thank you.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Melkor

Because we shoot to kill
And you know we always will
It's a bomber, it's a bomber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

red solo cup

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Hannelore

Bridge Over Troubled Water, by Josh Groban.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Aulef

One of my favorite musics of all time and a version I really enjoy.

[yt][/yt]

Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

Melkor

Much as I love the original, this version is hilarious.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

red solo cup

Melkor

Song has harsh vocals and unrelenting guitar/drums. Listen to at your own discretion.

"Reassurance dead like the falling leaves
Losing hope in your unchanging ways
All of my strength can't save you
If you're unwilling to help yourself"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannelore

My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

La Bohème. It is the complete opera on CD.

I figured I should listen to more Italian that is not from mobsters or chefs.

red solo cup

red solo cup