Prefer e readers or books :-)

Started by angelcookie, May 28, 2017, 12:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

I prefer the ease of the e- reader now, but used to prefer books.  :coffee:

Sempronius

Havent read a book for ages, the best ones are old and therefore available for free online

Lynne

I like books, they don't need to be re-charged.  ::) But I do 90% of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite which I love.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

I just can't bring myself to use an e-reader.  I am emotionally attached to the sensory input that accompanies reading from a book.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Chestertonian

I prefer  the sensory input from books too (and all sorts of other sensory things) but can't physically hold books or turn pages anymore so tablet it is.  I think I would have liked one when I was a student
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

OCLittleFlower

I prefer books, but I do have a Kindle paperwhite for travel and for scanalatons of manga not for sale in English.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Pretty much what oclf's attitude is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 28, 2017, 08:35:56 PM

Right down to the manga?  :P

I didn't know you were an otaku.  ;)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 29, 2017, 02:17:17 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 28, 2017, 08:35:56 PM

Right down to the manga?  :P

Ew.  No.

:lol:

I like my e-reader, but there's something about a book that makes life easier and reading better.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Prefer books. but I like the fact that I can change the size of the type on my kindle.  #oldeyes
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Pheo

I thought I liked my Kindle better, but a buddy started loaning me a bunch of old spiritual classics.  I had forgotten how holding a book makes you connect with it.

I heard a radio interview a while back talking about how our brains activate different pathways when reading physical books vs electronic ones.  Yeah, I'm convinced that's true.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Lynne

Kindle samples are like crack.  ::) I love that I can get spiritual classics cheaper on a Kindle than as a book.

But I believe the info below is true...

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 01:47:23 PM
I thought I liked my Kindle better, but a buddy started loaning me a bunch of old spiritual classics.  I had forgotten how holding a book makes you connect with it.

I heard a radio interview a while back talking about how our brains activate different pathways when reading physical books vs electronic ones.  Yeah, I'm convinced that's true.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Non Nobis

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 01:47:23 PM

Interesting; I think it is possible.

I like Kindle because I can read in bed and while eating meals (with the Kindle propped up).  I used to think having a electronic device in bed would be unpleasant, but I have gotten use to it.  I can use the Kindle for sleep music and for an alarm too. I also like Kindle because books are less expensive (although I end up buying more of them even when they are not so cheap), and take less room. Changing the type size is also a definite plus.

I read "real books" when not available on Kindle(!), when I already have the book (!!), and when Kindle indexing is bad or I'm doing reading that requires a lot of page flipping.

For serious study there is something to be said for real books. It is much easier to flip back to reference earlier parts of the book, and to take usable notes. (I don't do enough serious study).  I did some technical reading using Kindle; it was nice, but it will be hard to reference again. Using Kindle was probably a mistake.

I will have to try going back to "real books" more often.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 28, 2017, 07:13:26 PM
I prefer books, but I do have a Kindle paperwhite for travel and for scanalatons of manga not for sale in English.

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 29, 2017, 02:17:17 AM

I definitely had to look this up

Is it scanalatons, scanlations, or scanslations? In any case it's not something I am likely to do.

Otaku? Sometimes.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!