What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I just devoured Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton for the first time ever.  Very fun book!  I could hardly keep it down.  I bought it yesterday from Half Price Books... :lol:

Next on the (fiction) list is Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf link=topic=3.msg581298#msg581298 date=

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Padraig

Quote from: Heinrich on June 13, 2022, 03:31:16 PM

Never heard of him. I am barely getting through E Micheal Jones' Jewish RS and Don Quijote(en Castellano moderno). However, this is noted. Thanks, Dr.!

Don Quixote is quite a door-stopper. I read Book I (en Ingles) a long time ago, but never finished Book II.

I heartily recommend Laurus. Set in 15th century Russia during the plague, tragedy and sin transform the life of the main character into a pilgrimage of redemption, during which he assumes and casts off the various identities of healer, holy fool, and hermit. It's a stunning work, beautifully written and translated. If you enjoy Russian literature, this is the book I would recommend as the best modern example.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Heinrich on June 14, 2022, 07:19:21 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf link=topic=3.msg581298#msg581298 date=

[yt][/yt]

:lol:   Yes!
I just saw the movie for the first time last week, and I see that the book series is very well-regarded.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 13, 2022, 10:21:06 PM
I just devoured Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton for the first time ever.  Very fun book!  I could hardly keep it down.  I bought it yesterday from Half Price Books... :lol:

Timeline by Michael Crichton is kinda good crack historical(?) fiction
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on June 14, 2022, 01:20:26 PM
I just devoured Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton for the first time ever.  Very fun book!  I could hardly keep it down.  I bought it yesterday from Half Price Books... [emoji38]

[emoji38]

All of my friends have been suggesting I jump into the entirety of Chrichton's works. [emoji38]

I'll be adding them :)

Aulef

Added a second reading (other purpose than meditation)

Saint Peter the Apostle, by William Thomas Walsh
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

red solo cup

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 14, 2022, 05:17:53 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on June 14, 2022, 01:20:26 PM
I just devoured Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton for the first time ever.  Very fun book!  I could hardly keep it down.  I bought it yesterday from Half Price Books... [emoji38]

[emoj
Add Eaters of the Dead to your list.

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

Quote from: Padraig on June 13, 2022, 02:24:07 PMHeinrich and Pon, have either of you read any of Eugene Vodolazkin? I read Laurus last year, and it was one of the most remarkable books I've ever read.

I have not read this; I am unacquainted with modern Russian literature.  The Soviets effectively killed culture, and based on the cinematic offerings I have seen from Russia post-glasnost, it did not appear as if the arts there were going to return to their nineteenth century heights.  It is generally a failure of modern conservatism that it does it not encourage great art, and that seems to have been a failure of the Putin regime as well.  Perhaps Vlad is too macho, but one cannot be an Augustus without a Virgil.  So I am pleased to read your praise for this modern Russian novel; I researched it some, and it looks interesting.  Unfortunately, my local library in these semi-literate pinelands in Trump country does not carry it, so it will have to go on my Amazon wish list and languish there.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 15, 2022, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: Padraig on June 13, 2022, 02:24:07 PMHeinrich and Pon, have either of you read any of Eugene Vodolazkin? I read Laurus last year, and it was one of the most remarkable books I've ever read.

I have not read this; I am unacquainted with modern Russian literature.  The Soviets effectively killed culture, and based on the cinematic offerings I have seen from Russia post-glasnost, it did not appear as if the arts there were going to return to their nineteenth century heights.  It is generally a failure of modern conservatism that it does it not encourage great art, and that seems to have been a failure of the Putin regime as well.  Perhaps Vlad is too macho, but one cannot be an Augustus without a Virgil.  So I am pleased to read your praise for this modern Russian novel; I researched it some, and it looks interesting.  Unfortunately, my local library in these semi-literate pinelands in Trump country does not carry it, so it will have to go on my Amazon wish list and languish there.

Do you work for Twitter? LOL!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Heinrich on June 15, 2022, 12:23:56 PMDo you work for Twitter? LOL!

I'm not getting the joke.  Was my post exactly 140 characters?  Or maybe I write like a sentient form of artificial intelligence, but I think that one's at Google, not Twitter.

Twitter now belongs to Elon Musk, who once dated Amber Heard.

red solo cup

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 15, 2022, 12:04:19 PM

Have you considred the Inter Library Loan? Though not all libraries belong.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

Quote from: red solo cup on June 15, 2022, 01:17:53 PMHave you considred the Inter Library Loan? Though not all libraries belong.

According to the state website, one has to be on the Government & Heritage Library system, something my library card does not make mention of.  Mostly research and public records, it looks like, and not Russian novels.

Padraig

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 15, 2022, 12:33:36 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 15, 2022, 12:23:56 PMDo you work for Twitter? LOL!

I'm not getting the joke.  Was my post exactly 140 characters?

I think Heinrich's question was prompted by this phrase:
"these semi-literate pinelands in Trump country" :lol:

If I ever get my copy back from the current borrower, I'll lend you mine if you're unable to secure a copy :)

Mono no aware

Quote from: Padraig on June 15, 2022, 04:11:23 PMI think Heinrich's question was prompted by this phrase:
"these semi-literate pinelands in Trump country"

Ah, I see the connection.  Donald Trump was banned from Twitter ? deriding Trumpkins is associated with being a censor on Twitter.  I actually don't hate Trump himself.  I think he was great comedy and a refreshing tonic, and even some of his attempts at policy were decent, like the Muslim ban, but I'm afraid he didn't do anything positive to improve literacy or culture.  When Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are visiting the White House with presidential approval, nothing serious is being conserved.

Quote from: Padraig on June 15, 2022, 04:11:23 PMIf I ever get my copy back from the current borrower, I'll lend you mine if you're unable to secure a copy.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes.  I don't have too many books lined up for purchase, but the ones on my list are expensive.  Next up is The Magic of My Youth, by Arthur Calder-Marshall.  Good quality hardcover: 269.99 USD.  Maybe I'll win the lottery.