What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Is Paris Burning?  How Paris Miraculously Escaped Adolf Hitler's Sentence Of Death In August 1944 by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Hannelore

Finishing up Harry Potter #4. My favorite one.
My Lord and my God.

Hannelore

Centennial, by James Michener. People hated the narrator, so hopefully I can stand him.
My Lord and my God.

FaithByProxy

Currently slogging through The Count of Monte Cristo. I never read it growing up so I'm attempting to now, and boy is it hard to get through a novel this length as a homeschooling mother now haha. I'm enjoying it so far, though.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Hannelore

Quote from: FaithByProxy on January 18, 2022, 11:39:49 AM
Currently slogging through The Count of Monte Cristo. I never read it growing up so I'm attempting to now, and boy is it hard to get through a novel this length as a homeschooling mother now haha. I'm enjoying it so far, though.

One of my favorites. I downloaded it as an audio book from Librivox.org.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Finished Nineteen Eighty-Four yesterday, so now I'm on to Yours, Till Heaven, which tells the story of the marriage of Charles and Susie Spurgeon. A Protestant friend gifted it to me.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Hannelore

Bleak House, one of my favorite Dickens novels.
My Lord and my God.

Elizabeth.2

It stresses me out so much I can't get through it.  The betrayal. 

Hannelore

Quote from: Elizabeth.2 on January 19, 2022, 08:21:53 PM
It stresses me out so much I can't get through it.  The betrayal.
What a shame. It's so good. People think it's about revenge, but it's not really.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Game Change. Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

Christina_S

On to Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Fascination with Novelty

Prayerful

Dissolution of the Monasteries, a New History, James G. Clark. It treats of the dissolution of the monasteries in England and Wales, where Henry VIII held sway, but does not cover Ireland, stating that that is different story, its own. Given the sheer size, there is already enough material. Scotland is omitted as it was a separate kingdom with its own king.

One thing with Scotland is it had a few lay abbots or so when it was firmly Calvinist under James I. The assets were presumably a useful thing for the king to have in his gift, and James did sometimes entertain ideas of a sort of peace with Catholicism.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Hannelore

The Help. It's been a while since I last read it.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Age of the Moguls by Stewart Holbrook

Christina_S

DH started reading aloud from St. Gallen Mafia by Julia Meloni. I'd say it's an engaging, quick-paced mystery/thriller, but the fact that it's real makes it somehow less enthralling...

Fascination with Novelty