What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesChristi

True Devotion to Mary, by St. Louis-Marie de Montfort. I love it. It gives me more desire to do the Total Consecration.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Hannelore

My copy of Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine arrived today. It turns out that this edition includes both volumes, which means that I'll have an extra copy of Volume II. I get a feeling of sadness reading it, though: the author probably never imagined what would happen to the Church in just a generation after his book's publication.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Quote from: Hector, Tamer of Horses on May 06, 2014, 07:53:47 PM
The library at school has a free book table where all the old slightly ratty books that are no longer wanted are placed and anyone can take them, and today I picked up a nice copy of That Hideous Strength from 1960.  It's not even in very bad shape.  And luckily it's the book in the "Space Trilogy" that I haven't read yet.
I read that a couple of months ago. Very good!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Jacob

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian this summer.

Right now I'm in the third book, H.M.S. Surprise.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Not I: Memoirs of a German Childhood by Joachim Fest. The author was a schoolboy when Hitler came to power. His father was one of the founders of Reichsbanner, a
group of conservative Catholics set up to be an alternative to Nazis or Communists.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on May 12, 2014, 09:08:03 AM
Not I: Memoirs of a German Childhood by Joachim Fest. The author was a schoolboy when Hitler came to power. His father was one of the founders of Reichsbanner, a
group of conservative Catholics set up to be an alternative to Nazis or Communists.

The Wiki entry on this group mentions not this fact.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

Probably the best work I've ever read for those suffering from scruples. Will post more soon.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

MilesChristi

Open Letter to Confused Catholics.

Eye-opening
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Hector, Tamer of Horses

Re-reading The Splendid Century by W.H. Lewis.  Such a great book.  People sure were characters in the seventeenth century...
"The world is not yet exhausted: let me see something to-morrow which I never saw before."

-Dr. Johnson, Rasselas

Archer

Quote from: MilesChristi on May 15, 2014, 03:46:49 PM
Open Letter to Confused Catholics.

Eye-opening

Isn't it? It's enlightening to read about the crisis from his perspective too. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Hector, Tamer of Horses

A Nervous Splendour: Vienna 1888/1889 by Frederic Morton.  Very interesting.

Also picked up at the library Everyday Life in Ancient Egypt by John Manchip White.  The Egyptians are so much fun to read about.  Though really the Ptolemies a bit later on are my favourites.  They have the best family tree in human history.  ;D
"The world is not yet exhausted: let me see something to-morrow which I never saw before."

-Dr. Johnson, Rasselas

maryslittlegarden

Just finished reading The Hunt for Red October
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Daniel

red solo cup

Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. Very accurate for something written in 1907.
non impediti ratione cogitationis