Asking for intercession

Started by Jacob, October 27, 2020, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

At what point along the path to sainthood can we start directing our prayers for intercession directly towards the holy person?  Some prayer cards for persons who are only venerable for instance direct prayers to the person and some don't.  I am familiar with the rule here, but it is not consistent and I am confused.  Thank you.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Non Nobis

Someone must be praying to a Venerable in order to get the miracle(s) needed for Beatification...

Surely you can pray to a Venerable at least in private prayer.  Part of the prayer can be to God to grant the Venerable's Beatification.  There are such prayers online for Matt Talbot, Margaret Sinclair, and others.

In very private prayer I've "prayed" conditionally to good people I've known well to help me, if they are in heaven, or to Our Lord to release them if they are in Purgatory, and to redirect my prayers if appropriate.

I just read the comment that we ought to pray to Archbishop Lefebvre.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Jacob

Quote from: Non Nobis on October 27, 2020, 11:41:02 PMSurely you can pray to a Venerable at least in private prayer.  Part of the prayer can be to God to grant the Venerable's Beatification.  There are such prayers online for Matt Talbot, Margaret Sinclair, and others.

Yeah, I really didn't want to use a specific level as an example and focus people on it.  My question is does anyone know for sure what level is the proper level for prayer cards and things have prayers that directly address holy people rather than just asking God for a favor as a sign of that holy person's status in Heaven?  I used venerable because I have seen prayer cards go both ways; different prayer card publishers may or may not observe what is appropriate.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Prayerful

You can pray for the intercession of any deceased you reasonably think was holy, and not known as a heretic. The chaplain of Pentonville Prison, Fr James McCarroll, who received Roger Casement into the Church, said not to pray for him, but to him, so holy did he consider him. Fr McCarroll was aware of the British forged calumny known as the 'Black Diaries.'
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jacob

I got my answer today.  Only blesseds on up can be prayed to publicly.  Thank you all.
--Neal Stephenson