A Very Old Rosary I Found

Started by Acolyte, October 14, 2020, 12:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

Here is the crucifix. It appears to have a bone fragment at the foot of the Cross.

Any idea what I have here ?
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Acolyte

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

aquinas138

I believe the relic is soil from the catacombs in Rome; "Terra delle catacombe" means "earth from the catacombs." Very cool!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Acolyte

Quote from: aquinas138 on October 14, 2020, 08:21:32 AM
I believe the relic is soil from the catacombs in Rome; "Terra delle catacombe" means "earth from the catacombs." Very cool!

Well, I should have realized that. I just didn't make the connection with the word Terra.

There is a floor cabinet near a side Chapel in my Parish where people place items free for the taking. Many times it will be items from a deceased family member and I believe this is probably the case with this Rosary.  There was a well-worn brown scapular and some old prayer cards there with it.

Anyhow I took the rosary to the two reliquaries under the side altars and touched the crucifix to them. They are the skeletal remains St Bonosa ant St Magnus. Both said to have been martyred in the third century and originally buried in the catacombs.

Here is the info the parish offers of how they made it to Kentucky.

https://stmartinoftourslouisville.org/shrine%20of%20two%20saints.htm
In 2012 they were given new garments and new glass reliquaries.

I often visit the reliquaries of both and pray for their intercession for an increase in faith at a level approaching their's and the past few months I've been doing so more frequently. Now I'm wondering if there is a connection between me being the one to claim the Rosary and my first thought after seeing the word catacombs on the crucifix, which was to touch it the the reliquaries.

Coincidence or Devine guidence, not certain. But I feel blessed either way !

St Alphonsus

Greg

Avoid going to Heinrich's house.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

paul14

Acolyte

Well, the rosary turns out to be one that was placed one the hand of a statue of Our Lady in my parish. It had been there for years and evidently someone took the crucifix that was originally on it. A few weeks ago one of the men that comes to the parish for Eucharistic Adoration noticed the beads did not have a crucifix so he got permission from the pastor to put the crucifix pictured above on them.

The rosary, along with a few other rosaries and a scapular wound up being placed on the statue with the rosary I found. There are a growing number of Hispanic Catholics visiting the parish for adoration due to our being open 24/7 and they have been bringing flowers an votive candles with them to leave at the altar and various statues.

It got to be too much and a staff member had removed the rosary I found and placed it where I found it free for the taking.

The gentleman that put the crucifix on the beads just so happened to ask me where the lost and found box was at the parish and as he described the rosary beads and the crucifix I realized it was the one I found.

I initially didn't tell him I had it because I wanted to talk to a member of the staff to see how the rosary wound up where I found it, in case someone who was not authorized to remove it did so. I just found out what was up today.

Anyhow, the gentleman said if they were not going to allow the Rosary to be placed back on the statue, he was hoping to get the crucifix back to put it on the beads that he took it off of. So after solving the mystery of where the rosary came from, I called him and told him that I would bring it with me to the parish tomorrow and let him have it back.

Figured it was the only proper thing to do. And I have rosaries galore anyhow.

St Alphonsus