most relaxing games

Started by Chestertonian, May 12, 2018, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philomena

Quote from: Serviam on May 19, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
Solitaire. I'm hooked on Solitaire. Trick is not to just clear the stack but to do so in the fewest of possible moves, that way you have a relaxing game (there are no machine guns or jump scares in solitaire, at least not the version I play on my phone) but then at the same time enough brain engagement, plotting out which cards to move and which cards not to, so you don't feel like you are just shutting off your brain, drooling as you move cards from point a to point b.

I'd go with Solitaire, with that goal in mind. Try to beat my record, 93 moves!

Uh, other relaxing puzzle games, this one is pretty good http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-bloxorz

My record is 89!  8)

Serviam

With fear and trembling work out your salvation.

Serviam

Quote from: Philomena on July 05, 2018, 01:49:48 PM
Quote from: Serviam on May 19, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
Solitaire. I'm hooked on Solitaire. Trick is not to just clear the stack but to do so in the fewest of possible moves, that way you have a relaxing game (there are no machine guns or jump scares in solitaire, at least not the version I play on my phone) but then at the same time enough brain engagement, plotting out which cards to move and which cards not to, so you don't feel like you are just shutting off your brain, drooling as you move cards from point a to point b.

I'd go with Solitaire, with that goal in mind. Try to beat my record, 93 moves!

Uh, other relaxing puzzle games, this one is pretty good http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-bloxorz

My record is 89!  8)

After approx. 8500 games I just now got an 87!

*Total # of games is skewed due to sw reset.

Philomena

I've tried, but I can't seem to beat you, Serviam. My best is holding at 88.  :(

Serviam

Quote from: Philomena on August 08, 2018, 05:03:07 PM
I've tried, but I can't seem to beat you, Serviam. My best is holding at 88.  :(

A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits. - Richard M. Nixon

PerEvangelicaDicta

That was a gauntlet gently placed on the ground, Serviam style, Philomena  :P
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Philomena

Oh, I understood that, Per.  :)  What do you think I've been doing for the past three weeks?

85, Serviam! 85.  8)

Serviam

I'm mildly very extremely annoyed now.

george_aeterno

I don't play games much, and the following aren't exactly puzzle games, but definitely Animal Crossing would count. The PSX and GCN Harvest Moons are awesome.

I find most retro games that aren't button mashers or platformers to be extremely relaxing. Especially if you get an old cathode-ray television to play them on, on a rainy day.

DigitalLogos

My go-to game for relaxing is American Truck Simulator. I like driving as it is, so after a night at work it's nice to come home and have a beer while listening to some country music while hauling freight from Washington to Arizona.

"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

clau clau

Old School 8 bit Atari Adventure.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yINb5Huh0C4[/yt]
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Padraig

Quote from: clau clau on June 10, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Old School 8 bit Atari Adventure.

Brought back to the popular consciousness by Ready Player One

josh987654321

For a good relaxing game, I've gotta say I've been impressed with Forza Horizon 5

1. This game is rather demanding on the hardware, so if you plan to play it on PC, it will need to be a decent PC to get the most out of it.

2. It's expensive, but when on special and if you have the hardware for it, then it's a good buy IMO.

3. It can be addictive/unhealthy if one gets sucked into certain 'missions' and trying to collect every single car etc, however if you ignore that part, then it's a rather satisfying free roam driving game that can be quite enjoyable without sucking you into anything.

4. It does have "The Message" in regards to hints toward aztec paganism and pronouns etc, but this can rather easily be completely ignored and the game still enjoyed to the full without it IMO. Don't know what future turns it may take, but for the most part it's decent IMO.

But anyway, for a good video game that one can enjoy in moderation it gets a tick from me. It's just important to be aware of the traps in regards to certain time limited missions/items thus pressuring you to play it more than you want to and in regards to "the message" that is occasionally tried to sneak in, but for the most part can be entirely ignored.

God Bless

"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

Melkor

Grim Dawn is my go to for a relaxing game. It's a great ARPG, probably one of the best ever. Somewhat steep learning curve but the near endless replay ability; with the dual-class system and staggering amount of items is amazing. If you like good loot then this is your game! The best thing is you can pick any weapon, skill, or class theme and it will work with proper build planning. Great atmosphere and music, along with decent lore makes for an engaging experience, even when levelling multiple times. I probably honestly play more than I should, but an hour every night after work and family time isn't too bad I think.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

Most relaxing computer game ever?  In my opinion, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.  Why?  Because it's a simulation which allows you to take it at your own pace and sometimes just sit back and watch the trains and stuff travel.  There's no stress of constantly moving (like a FPS), figuring out puzzles (RPGs often), or madly clicking buttons (RTS) and you can often leave it running and go do something else.

Of course, the real reason is that you could put train tracks across the opponents' roads, do some deconstruction of the the roads, trap the vehicles near the train crossings, sit back and wait for the inevitable collision which results in a nice, satisfying fireball of the competition's road fleet.  Nothing more relaxing than delicious destruction, right?

It's a real time sink though so I uninstalled it about four years ago and haven't loaded it since.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"