The essence of manliness

Started by Jayne, February 17, 2013, 05:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I had a strong emotional reaction to something KK wrote.  I was going to PM him about it but then it occurred to me that this might be an interesting topic for others.  This does not have anything to do with the thread his comments occurred in, so I am starting a new thread.  I hope this is a good place for it.
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 16, 2013, 01:57:23 AMFurther, do you all not see how repugnant it is that a group of men have banded together to attack a woman?  Not only did you call her names (completely uncalled for), but then you suggest physical violence against her AND praise each other for it?  If women really are the weaker sex, whether they behave "badly" or not, you don't treat them like children or trash.  They are still people with dignity.  We all the time hear about how the men are properly the height of the social order.  Well, here we have a bunch of "men" pulling crap like this?  And she ISN'T EVEN POSTING HERE.  We as Catholic men have an obligation to set the proper tone, to be Catholic men who treat all people with the dignity they deserve.  This kind of barbaric behavior should be utterly repulsive to any properly-formed Catholic man and I will not tolerate this on my forum. 

I had a notable visceral reaction when I read this post.  Since I am an old married woman, I experienced it mainly as deep feelings of respect and gratitude.  Even so, I was aware of his words as manly and attractive.  I think if I were young and single I would have a crush on KK right now.

When something moves me this much, I think about why.  As I considered my strong reaction, I concluded that his post was a manifestation of the essence of manliness.  As a woman, I respond to this from deep within my being. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

I accidentally posted before I was finished.  I want to explain what I mean by the essence of manliness.  I am talking about protectiveness and leadership.  It is obvious, I think, how his post was an act of protection.  It was an act of leadership because he was not basing his commitment to a certain standard of behaviour on the actions of others.  He takes the initiative.

Unfortunately we live in a time when women are trained to reject the leadership, even the very value, of men. Men are likely to encounter many women who do not deserve protection.  It is a temptation for men in this situation to simply not bother.  But a leader is not driven by simply reacting to others.  He acts out of his inner sense of right and wrong. 

It is all very well to talk about these things in the abstract, but to truly understand them, we need to see examples.  I count myself blessed to have have witnessed this example here.

Bonaventure

The essence is fulfilling the duties of one's state of life, and living the Faith.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 17, 2013, 09:25:33 AM
The essence is fulfilling the duties of one's state of life, and living the Faith.

That is the essence of being Catholic and is exactly the same for men and women.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

voxxpopulisuxx

I have defended you in the past at the tank. But that being said I have been raising my sons that they are to overlook forgive and protect womenfolk at all times even if they attack them. When they complain that thier sister did this or that...I tell them that women are held to a different standard than men. Men have a stricter standard to uphold. And I have been able to live up to that most of the time.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: RealJayneK on February 17, 2013, 05:45:19 AMI had a notable visceral reaction when I read this post.  Since I am an old married woman, I experienced it mainly as deep feelings of respect and gratitude.  Even so, I was aware of his words as manly and attractive.  I think if I were young and single I would have a crush on KK right now.

When something moves me this much, I think about why.  As I considered my strong reaction, I concluded that his post was a manifestation of the essence of manliness.  As a woman, I respond to this from deep within my being.

Yes, KK's manliness is well known and widely celebrated.  :)

Penelope

Ugh, please. Don't feed his ego.

Kidding, kidding! Has he seen this thread yet?

erin is nice

Quote from: Penelope on February 17, 2013, 01:29:59 PM
Ugh, please. Don't feed his ego.

Kidding, kidding! Has he seen this thread yet?

If his ego gets too big, we can pick on him for a while.

voxxpopulisuxx

he has no ego...only shame...he shaved his awesome beard

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

tmw89

Keep the boot-licking on the other forum.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Archer

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 17, 2013, 05:35:40 PM
he has no ego...only shame...he shaved his awesome beard

Oy, if you haven't noticed beards are kinda a touchy subject.  Can we please not go down that road here too?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

voxxpopulisuxx

why not?
their debating the dam skirt...shorts modesty issue in the family life forum lol

911!

Penelope

Annddd, I think this thread has just captured everything that is wrong with trads on the internet... skirts, beards, and Kaesekopf's ego, which is growing at an alarming rate.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Penelope on February 17, 2013, 05:46:03 PM
Annddd, I think this thread has just captured everything that is wrong with trads on the internet... skirts, beards, and Kaesekopf's ego, which is growing at an alarming rate.
lol
:trainwreck: :worthless:

911!