Introduction

Started by PangeLingua, December 05, 2022, 04:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PangeLingua

Hello SD community!

What brings you to SD?
I'm happy to be here but the reason for it is, unfortunately, a lack of in-person Catholic community. I recently moved from the U.S. to Italy (only for a school year) but my inability to yet find a group of Catholic young adults has taken a toll on my spiritual life. I hope this forum may be at least a partial solution.

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
My avatar is TBD, but my name comes from the eponymus hymn which I find very moving. It is also a goal: I do, indeed, want my tongue to always sing of Christ, especially the life-giving Eucharist.

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?
I am currently single and I believe my call is to married life. While I am just a bit older than most who enter the seminary, I always say I have left the door open to it, God must simply call me through if He desires. Until if and when that happens, I am anxiously seeking a woman with whom to discern marriage.

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)
I'm from Michigan, did college in Cincinnati (great city), currently live in northern Italy, and will be living in Washington, D.C. before long.

Personality type?
Various measurements have their validity debated, but I think the most accurate way to describe my personality is as a social introvert (I am outgoing but need time at home to "recharge") and agreeable (interpersonal situations, not debates on theology, morality, politics), although I am working on becoming more assertive.

Favorite books?
The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva, Lord of the World by Fr. Robert Benson, Why Liberalism Failed by Patrick Deneen, Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam

Favorite movies?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Siege of Jadotville, A Quiet Place, Thank You For Smoking, The Book of Eli, Snowpiercer

Favorite TV shows?
Hannibal, Suburra, Peaky Blinders, MASH, Kitchen Nightmares

Favorite sports/teams
Whoever the most Catholic and/or otherwise based country/city is. Also, Kansas City Chiefs (I was a fan before Mahomes), tennis, college basketball, hockey

Have any hobbies?
Cooking, playing tennis, riding horses, splitting wood, reading, listening to and singing sacred music (former schola member)

Pet peeves
People who make the internet/memes their personality.

Fun random fact about yourself
I have met two Cardinals.

Melkor

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time with us. Curious as to what you are taking in college?

Splitting wood boosts testosterone considerably, I hear. Workout at all?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Heinrich

Where did you attend Mass in Cincy? My Frau and I live in the region and attend Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes in Covington. How many weighted pull ups can you do?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melkor

Quote from: Heinrich on December 05, 2022, 06:51:53 PM
Where did you attend Mass in Cincy? My Frau and I live in the region and attend Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes in Covington. How many weighted pull ups can you do?

How many weighted pull ups can you do, Heinrich?

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

diaduit

My friends late father was in Jadtoville, that movie is very very close to what happened.  They were treated as cowards when they came home.

Lynne

Quote from: diaduit on December 06, 2022, 02:59:53 AM
My friends late father was in Jadtoville, that movie is very very close to what happened.  They were treated as cowards when they came home.

It's on Netflix and I bookmarked it.

And welcome, PangeLingua!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: Melkor on December 05, 2022, 07:08:41 PM

More than you.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Elizabeth

Melkor

Quote from: Heinrich on December 06, 2022, 10:14:50 AM
Quote from: Melkor on December 05, 2022, 07:08:41 PM

More than you.

Lol good answer.

james03

Welcome.

Send me a PM when you move to DC.  My daughter has many Trad/conservative Catholic young adult contacts there.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Acolyte

Welcome to the best trad forum out there !
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Hannelore

Welcome! I studied in Rome for a semester and met a Cardinal while I was there. :)
My Lord and my God.

PangeLingua

Quote from: diaduit on December 06, 2022, 02:59:53 AM

That's what I read, terribly sad and unjust.