Angelus vs Baronius Missal

Started by martin88nyc, December 18, 2018, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Which of these two do you prefer?
What are the differences?
Is the new Friday prayer for the Jews replaced in Baronius version?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

martin88nyc

I was told the new BP missal is a little bigger than angelus and has a bigger font. Also there are additional feasts celebrated in England, Scotland, USA and Australia/Asia
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Acolyte

Yes, the Angelus is a good one. The Baronius is way too thick and hard to handle.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Gardener

Angelus is better.

My wife has Baronius. It's too thick and unwieldy.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Der Polka-König

I might not be the best person to answer the question, as I almost never assist at Mass from in the pews, but I own the Baronius and have looked through friends' copies of the Angelus a fair amount.

Regarding the Baronius: It does have propers for some of the main Anglophone regions -- England & Wales, Scotland, USA, and Australasia. That is a nice feature, but in the USA, we only actually have 5 feasts that are not on the General Roman Calendar (O.L. Guadalupe, St Peter Claver, Sts Isaac Jogues, John de Brebeuf, et alii., St Isidore the Farmer, and St Frances Xavier Cabrini). Holy Week is entirely according to Summorum Pontificum -- all post-55, with Benedict's revision of the Oratio pro Conversione Iudæorum. It does have excerpts from the Kyriale in back (Asperges/Vidi; Masses I, IV, VIII, IX, XI, XVII, and XVIII; Credo I-IV). The font might be a little larger, but not substantially. The book is big, almost too big to really be practical, but mostly because they tried to jam too much content into it, in my opinion.

Although in general I highly recommend Baronius Press books, I would prefer the Angelus Press edition over theirs as an everyday hand missal, primarily because of the bulkiness of the former.
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Prayerful

The Baronius (and I think the Angelus) both derive the Daily Roman Missal of 1948, edited by Dr Sylvester Juergens, Regina Press, which managed to have all the necessary content for a daily missal, readable font and not be too big. The Angelus Press missal, although the binding is more basic than the '48 original and Baronius, is far closer to that. Now the Baronius is an excellent missal, but a bit too big.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kreuzritter

If you don't mind grabbing a hand-out during Holy Week.

GloriaPatri

I have to agree with Kreuzritter. The Saint Andrew Daily Missal was my go-to for Mass, and I found it to be an excellent aid for keeping up with Father as he celebrated.

Maximilian

Quote from: Prayerful on December 19, 2018, 12:04:48 PM

Now the Baronius is an excellent missal, but a bit too big.

I'm not familiar with the Baronius specifically, but in general the problem with some reprints that makes them too big is that they use lower quality paper that is too thick, as opposed to classic Bible paper. The reprints of the Fr. Lasance missal are like that. They're almost too big to hold in one hand, and the paper is a plain white paper rather than the onion-skin paper that is traditional.

Jacob

I have a Baronius.  The paper is nice thin Bible paper.  I agree with those who think the missal is thick.  The Baronius is hefty, but I am able to hold it in one hand without issue.  I haven't handled an Angelus ever.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Gardener

Quote from: Maximilian on December 20, 2018, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on December 19, 2018, 12:04:48 PM

Now the Baronius is an excellent missal, but a bit too big.

I'm not familiar with the Baronius specifically, but in general the problem with some reprints that makes them too big is that they use lower quality paper that is too thick, as opposed to classic Bible paper. The reprints of the Fr. Lasance missal are like that. They're almost too big to hold in one hand, and the paper is a plain white paper rather than the onion-skin paper that is traditional.

I know a couple who runs a Catholic paper (yes, as in, paper and not a blog: http://www.oremuspress.com/) . Speaking with the wife the other day, she said most of the old printing presses which were used for the thin paper are now in India and so this is why stuff printed in the US is using different paper. They have been given an old press and are working on getting it going for printing old-style holy cards, etc.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

martin88nyc

Here are the dimensions:
Angelus: 6.75 × 4.25 × 1.25 in

Baronius: 7.375 × 4.75 × 2.3125 in

From this I deduce Baronius has larger font. Is that true?

martin88nyc

Quote from: martin88nyc on December 26, 2018, 10:57:55 AM
Here are the dimensions:

could anyone confirm this?

Gardener

Quote from: martin88nyc on December 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on December 26, 2018, 10:57:55 AM
Here are the dimensions:

could anyone confirm this?

Send me a PM to remind me and I'll pull both out tonight and do some side-by-side pictures for you.