How can an American Catholic Take the Oath of Allegiance?

Started by St. Columba, April 25, 2021, 10:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Columba

I am thinking of moving to the US (I had a job interview this past week), but, if I ever wanted to become a citizen, I need to take the Oath of Allegiance;

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...."

Apparently, there are ways to get around the promise to bear arms and fight for the nation, but there seems to be no remedy to get around th first part of the oath, in bold above....

The problem is that I am a Catholic, and I do have a prior allegiance to the Pope (who is a potentate), who is a sovereign of a foreign state, and has my (prior) devotion and obedience (which I think extends beyond merely spiritual/moral matters).  The Pope could, I think, in theory, call for a crusade against the allies of the United States, or even against the US itself.

The Oath also ends with, "and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Mental reservations ain't a way out either.  It seems that a Catholic must oath the words as they plainly mean.

Does anyone see a way out of this?  I love the USA, but I am a Catholic first.

Thanks for any help!

People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

dellery

Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Michael Wilson

According to the official I.N.S. Website the oath in  its present form has been around since 1929; which means that plenty of Catholics have taken the oath since then, and I would presume with the permission of the Church. Unless you can find something that interprets the Oath in a manner that is contrary to the Catholic faith, I think it is safe to take it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Quote from: dellery on April 25, 2021, 10:55:59 AM
Quote from: St. Columba on April 25, 2021, 10:30:46 AM
Apparently, there are ways to get around the promise to bear arms and fight for the nation, but there seems to be no remedy to get around th first part of the oath, in bold above....

So you want to enjoy our way of life but don't want to fight for it?

Please, do not come here. We do not need any more freeloaders. Besides, Mexicans join the Marine Corp in droves and will fight alongside us, and they're Catholic. So we've already got a better replacement.
Its not about fighting, he know one can "opt out" of that part, its the renouncing of any allegiance to a foreign Potentate i.e. The Pope that he is concerned about.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

St. Columba

Quote from: dellery on April 25, 2021, 10:55:59 AM
Quote from: St. Columba on April 25, 2021, 10:30:46 AM

So you want to enjoy our way of life but don't want to fight for it?

Please, do not come here. We do not need any more freeloaders. Besides, Mexicans join the Marine Corp in droves and will fight alongside us, and they're Catholic. So we've already got a better replacement.

Thanks Dellery, but what I mean is that modifications are possible (please see here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-3) for the military service portion, but not, seemingly, for the renounciation of allegiance to a foreign power.

My concern is simply being able to say the Oath without incurring sin by lying under oath.
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

dellery

My apologies to St Columba. Add another tally to my "see how much you can make an ass out of yourself" count. My confidence in this department soars.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

dellery

Nous Defions

dellery

Nous Defions

St. Columba

Quote from: dellery on April 25, 2021, 11:12:05 AM
My apologies to St Columba. Add another tally to my "see how much you can make an ass out of yourself" count. My confidence in this department soars.

No worries dellery!  Thanks very much!

Daniel

I'd point out that you also need to renounce your allegiance to Christ and your citizenship in His kingdom. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about committing apostasy than perjury.

Short answer is, if those are the rules then I don't think you can become a US citizen. But if it's worth my opinion--as an American citizen--I'd say that you aren't missing out. I'm not even fully convinced that the USA is a legitimately-established authority. (And I sure hope it isn't, because I don't obey all its oppressive laws.)

dellery

Quote from: Daniel on April 25, 2021, 01:06:37 PM
I'd point out that you also need to renounce your allegiance to Christ and your citizenship in His kingdom. Frankly, I'd be more concerned about committing apostasy than perjury.

Short answer is, if those are the rules then I don't think you can become a US citizen. But if it's worth my opinion--as an American citizen--I'd say that you aren't missing out. I'm not even fully convinced that the USA is a legitimately-established authority. (And I sure hope it isn't, because I don't obey all its oppressive laws.)

Take it back before I send my Gang-stalkers after you for being an avowed law-breaker.

You're being typed at by a covert Mossad agent assigned to a special task force in the FBI to root out DVE's and terrorize them. Ask Heinrich and James, they know.

Nous Defions

St. Columba

Quote from: Daniel on April 25, 2021, 01:06:37 PM

dellery

Even initiates into the 666th degree of the Illuminati, the degree in which the adept learns the Elbow Destruction technique, are not required to renounce their allegiance to Christ, and are permitted to continue being citizens in His kingdom.

Nous Defions

St. Columba

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 25, 2021, 10:57:16 AM
According to the official I.N.S. Website the oath in  its present form has been around since 1929; which means that plenty of Catholics have taken the oath since then, and I would presume with the permission of the Church. Unless you can find something that interprets the Oath in a manner that is contrary to the Catholic faith, I think it is safe to take it.

Thank you Michael for your kind response.  In all charity and humility though, someone could counter with: (a) the fact that many Catholics do (or don't do) something is not proof that it is ok to do (bandwagon fallacy); (b) that fact that a country's bishops are silent on a matter does not necessary prove it is ok (argument from silence); (c) episcopal hierarchies of countries can and do err (example, the infamous Winnipeg Statement in Canada, or the Bishops in England in St. Thomas More's time)

If there is a postive approbation from the U.S. Bishops (pre or post Vatican II) stating that the Oath is (morally) salutary, then ok, I can use that as some evidence that my thinking is wrong.  Otherwise, I am left with the obvious and plain meaning of the words contained in the Oath.

Besides, part of the entire American ethos was to emancipate from the Crown and the Pope.  Perhaps this Oath is exactly what those who framed it had in mind: no foreign power shall supercede here.

I am most certiainly not trying to start an argument Michael....I have not posted on SD for a very long time before today....but I am looking for a good solid argument as to how, and why, it is perfectly fine for a Catholic to take the US Oath of Allegiance.

In a spirit of peace Michael,

Peter

Michael Wilson

St. C.
I'm not looking for an argument either, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible, and I don't mind if you don't take my post as "Gospel truth". I want to go back to the approbation thingy; it is true that bishops are not infallible even a large number of them without the Pope; but what I am assuming is that the U.S. Bishops informed Rome about this oath and that Rome did not raise any objections to Catholics taking the Oath. Even if we assume that the U.S. Bishops didn't inform Rome, there has been a "Papal Nuncio" in the U.S. For a long time, and I don't see how they (the Nuncios) could not have been informed about the Oath and made Rome aware of it. If Rome raised no objection to Catholics taking the Oath, then we have to assume that it is O.K. for Catholics to take it.