Hi from Philadelphia

Started by AaronAndAbigail, March 01, 2021, 06:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronAndAbigail

What brings you to SD? Looking to make some traditional Catholic friends outside of my home area. My fiancée and I aren't sure yet if we're going to stay in PA or move to a state that's more friendly to our beliefs and lifestyle. It'd be nice to have some acquaintances all over the country so we wouldn't necessarily be going somewhere we know no one if we decide to move far away from our families.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  Not since I was a kid, long before I became devout in college. It wasn't a great use of my time. Even now I'm usually too busy to invest significant time in a community like this, but my fiancée and I want to be as active as we can here because we need to step out of our introverted comfort zones for the good of our family.

Why did you choose your username and avatar? Our names and her engagement ring

What is your state of life? Engaged to be married in our FSSP parish September 4

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) Suburban Philadelphia

Personality type? We're both introverted. We both have Asperger's. She has very few close friends, in part because it's only been 3 years since she became Catholic, and she only got into the TLM right before we met. In fact, she went to her very first TLM the Sunday before we met. We found each other's Catholic Match profiles and started talking within a day of when she checked the TLM box on her profile. As for me, I have a decent-sized circle of friends from throughout the 10 years since I converted from lukewarm to devout, but I'm not super close to most of them.

Favorite books/movies/TV? Most literature, movies and other works of art have always gone over my head. I've never had an intellectual gift for appreciating art of any kind. I tend to enjoy spiritual and political reading more than anything fiction. Because I spend so much time driving as a trucker, I mostly listen to podcasts rather than read. Timothy Gordon and Taylor Marshall are my main traditional podcasts. I also listen to Relevant Radio and Catholic Answers (including The Counsel of Trent and Jimmy Akin's Mysterious World) for more mainstream Catholic talk, Jen Fulwiler and Lino Rulli for Catholic comic relief, Ben Shapiro and Michael Knowles for political commentary, and a few others.

Favorite sports/teams? I grew up rooting for the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers. Sports fandom was a matter of idolatry for me as a teenager. I've paid less and less attention to my teams as I've grown in my faith, and now that their leagues have all gone woke, it's easier than ever to pay no attention at all.

Have any hobbies? If trucking wasn't my job, I'd call long road trips a hobby. Beyond that, mainly just spending time outdoors. I've been quite a cheapskate my whole adult life, so it's hard to imagine getting into any hobby that's even somewhat expensive. I guess I like singing too. I'd be in my parish choir if my work schedule allowed me to make the rehearsals.

Pet peeves: Slow drivers

Fun random fact about yourself: I can recite the names of every county in all 50 states. As a trucker, I've visited or driven through more than a third of them.

Melkor

Welcome to you and your soon to be wife.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Aulef

Welcome to both of you!

Saint Vibiana, ora pro nobis
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

Heinrich

Quote from: AaronAndAbigail on March 01, 2021, 06:37:40 PM
What brings you to SD? Looking to make some traditional Catholic friends outside of my home area. My fiancée and I aren't sure yet if we're going to stay in PA or move to a state that's more friendly to our beliefs and lifestyle. It'd be nice to have some acquaintances all over the country so we wouldn't necessarily be going somewhere we know no one if we decide to move far away from our families.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  Not since I was a kid, long before I became devout in college. It wasn't a great use of my time. Even now I'm usually too busy to invest significant time in a community like this, but my fiancée and I want to be as active as we can here because we need to step out of our introverted comfort zones for the good of our family.

Why did you choose your username and avatar? Our names and her engagement ring

What is your state of life? Engaged to be married in our FSSP parish September 4

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) Suburban Philadelphia

Personality type? We're both introverted. We both have Asperger's. She has very few close friends, in part because it's only been 3 years since she became Catholic, and she only got into the TLM right before we met. In fact, she went to her very first TLM the Sunday before we met. We found each other's Catholic Match profiles and started talking within a day of when she checked the TLM box on her profile. As for me, I have a decent-sized circle of friends from throughout the 10 years since I converted from lukewarm to devout, but I'm not super close to most of them.

Favorite books/movies/TV? Most literature, movies and other works of art have always gone over my head. I've never had an intellectual gift for appreciating art of any kind. I tend to enjoy spiritual and political reading more than anything fiction. Because I spend so much time driving as a trucker, I mostly listen to podcasts rather than read. Timothy Gordon and Taylor Marshall are my main traditional podcasts. I also listen to Relevant Radio and Catholic Answers (including The Counsel of Trent and Jimmy Akin's Mysterious World) for more mainstream Catholic talk, Jen Fulwiler and Lino Rulli for Catholic comic relief, Ben Shapiro and Michael Knowles for political commentary, and a few others.

Favorite sports/teams? I grew up rooting for the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers. Sports fandom was a matter of idolatry for me as a teenager. I've paid less and less attention to my teams as I've grown in my faith, and now that their leagues have all gone woke, it's easier than ever to pay no attention at all.

Have any hobbies? If trucking wasn't my job, I'd call long road trips a hobby. Beyond that, mainly just spending time outdoors. I've been quite a cheapskate my whole adult life, so it's hard to imagine getting into any hobby that's even somewhat expensive. I guess I like singing too. I'd be in my parish choir if my work schedule allowed me to make the rehearsals.

Pet peeves: Slow drivers

Fun random fact about yourself: I can recite the names of every county in all 50 states. As a trucker, I've visited or driven through more than a third of them.

Welcome. Check out Nothern Kentucky/SE Indiana/SW Ohio if you are looking for a trad region. At last count there are eight TLMs in our area, including FSSP. Let me know if you are ever on I74 in Franklin County, IN. Frau and I live right near exit 156.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

I-80, Iowa, Exit 244!

Reputed to be the consistently busiest stretch of interstate in the US!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

AaronAndAbigail

Quote from: Heinrich on March 02, 2021, 10:01:16 AM
Welcome. Check out Nothern Kentucky/SE Indiana/SW Ohio if you are looking for a trad region. At last count there are eight TLMs in our area, including FSSP. Let me know if you are ever on I74 in Franklin County, IN. Frau and I live right near exit 156.
Thanks! My last ex girlfriend went to Holy Family in Dayton, so I'm well aware of what a good trad region that is. Lately I've been thinking Tennessee would be nice because it's the closest state to PA with no income tax (except for investments). It could be years before we move, as we'll be starting out at my mom's house. My mom has relied on my financial support anyway since my dad died 3 years ago and her house is big enough that we could fit there comfortably with at least 3 kids, so it only makes sense to stay there and not be paying rent to a stranger until we're more certain where we want to plant our roots and have enough saved for a big down payment.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum! I love the miked version of the Eagles vs. Pats Super Bowl video: "You want the Philly special? O.K. Let's go with the Philly Special!" Great call. I hope you like it here. Prayers for a happy Catholic marriage.  :pray2:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers