Happy Chinese New Year!

Started by Ancilla Domini, February 02, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 03, 2014, 10:23:18 AM
Um, would this horse be pale in color?   ???

Landless, are you comparing me to a horse?  ???

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: The Harlequin King on February 03, 2014, 02:14:59 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 03, 2014, 02:02:41 PM
So why would Catholics celebrate it, then?

If they're Chinese, for cultural reasons? Because fireworks and big paper dragons are fun? I dunno. But there's not much separating it from our January 1 new year. That day was chosen to honor Janus, the god of beginnings and ends, as well as Julius Caesar, who reformed the Roman calendar (prior to that, the new year began in March).

But in Christendom, March 25 was more commonly observed as the new year until the Gregorian calendar reform. Britain stubbornly held on to the Julian calendar and the March 25 new year until 1752.

It's the direct ties to and celebration of the zodiac that gets me, I guess.  It would be like saying "Happy Year of [insert pagan god's name here]."
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bernadette

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 03, 2014, 02:02:41 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 03, 2014, 08:42:04 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 03, 2014, 02:30:22 AM
Isn't it like, pagan and zodiac related and such?  :P

Semi-serious question.

Yes, it is.

Semi-serious answer.  :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

So why would Catholics celebrate it, then?

Because you get money, of course! And tasty food.  ;D Though I like the March 25th idea, too, for theological reasons.
My Lord and my God.

Christknight104

One can celebrate the new year on the First Sunday of Advent if he really wants to do so for liturgical / theological reasons.

The Harlequin King

The western calendar and English day names are too replete with paganisms to avoid, unless, perhaps, I told someone "happy fifth day of the industrial workweek" instead of "happy Friday".

And in that case, the names actually recall Norse or Roman gods that people worshiped once upon a time. The 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac, though, are astrological signs only, not deities.

Since I know Kazakhstan is of interest to you, they are one of a few easten European countries who use, or formerly used, the Chinese zodiac.

OCLittleFlower

Kazakhstan is in central Asia, technically.   :tongue:  As a former member of the USSR, they sometimes get grouped in with Eastern Europe, but they are an Asian nation.  Well, except for that tiny bit on land in Europe that allows them to play footie as Europeans.

I thought all zodiac related things were sins, but I could be wrong on that.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 03, 2014, 02:56:21 PM

No, i was calling you the queen of Texas, sweet pea.  Pale horse was a reference to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (some of us are nervously watching over our shoulders for.)   ;)

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 03, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

No, i was calling you the queen of Texas, sweet pea.  Pale horse was a reference to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (some of us are nervously watching over our shoulders for.)   ;)

Oh, yes, of course. I don't know how I misread that. I must have been having another blonde moment, which almost explains my identification with a light-haired horse bringing destruction.  :tongue:

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 03, 2014, 08:55:36 PM
Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 03, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

Oh, yes, of course. I don't know how I misread that. I must have been having another blonde moment, which almost explains my identification with a light-haired horse bringing destruction.  :tongue:
:lol:  Not really your fault.  I'm not good with written communication (inevitable time lags and lack of non-verbal).  That's part of why i'm here...to practice.   :lol: 

Ancilla Domini

As for me being the Queen of Texas, The Harlequin King is under the impression that this is his domain, even if he is unable to hold it militarily.

Quote from: The Harlequin KingAncilla lives in the marches of my domains, far beyond the reach of the king's justice, where the only law is the gun on your hip.

I'm more like the White Queen of the Comanche, riding bare-breasted across the plains, wreaking havoc on Spanish missions and far-flung ranches, those ranches pushing ever westward... 

Landless Laborer

Ancilla Domini

Ohhh.... I might have found me a new avatar!  :)

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 04, 2014, 08:19:20 PM
I'd miss the one you have now.  It reminds me of my aunt Mildred "Mid", when she was young, in her Buffalo bungalow. 

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 05, 2014, 12:58:02 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 04, 2014, 08:19:20 PM
I'd miss the one you have now.  It reminds me of my aunt Mildred "Mid", when she was young, in her Buffalo bungalow.

Well, I am flattered, Landless. In that case, I guess I'd better keep it.  :)