Ever dreamt of owning your own French chateau?

Started by ADMG, January 07, 2014, 04:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADMG

Stumbled upon this page, I was pretty surprised at how relatively cheap these places are, though maintenance costs are likely to be quite the pain in the a**. Granted, 1 million dollars is quite a lot of money  ;D, but look at what you'd get for it, complete with 4 acres of land, 18 km from Poitiers:

Cough up a little more, and those awaiting a great persecution can have their own defensive tower, from which you can unleash a storm from above onto any approaching foes. Probably about 45 minutes by car to Bordeaux.

Going through their listings is rather interesting even if you aren't a retiring multi millionaire though. France is such a beautiful country.

ResRev

Yes! My husband wants a place on the Camino (to Santiago).

He's serious. :lol:
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Lynne

Quote from: ResRev on January 07, 2014, 05:19:45 AM
Yes! My husband wants a place on the Camino (to Santiago).

He's serious. :lol:

Oooo

Sent from my Droid Maxx

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Parresia

Not to mention that, with the strength  of the SSPX and the number of traditional monasteries, etc. the Faith may make its return there before it does almost anywhere else. 

Older Salt

Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

The Harlequin King

I know what I'm doing if I win the lottery. It perplexes me that these estates aren't all occupied by American lottery winners.

JoyfulMother

Not only that, but do any of you remember Roger Buck from FE?  Who writes the blog CorJesuSacratissimum?

I get that Europe supposedly doesn't practice the faith much anymore, but he talks about the whole difference in culture from America -as a Protestant country - and the Catholicism that shaped the heart of Europe is still there, though diminished.

I would love to go experience the difference.  I am so tired of certain things in American culture - especially the materialism and consumerism - and have been told by people that I am in touch with that it is very different in Europe.

Not only that, but I have developed a love for Catholic history that will never be satisfied in the US.  I have a list of places that I want to see in Europe.

I would love a beautiful place like this.  We all pitch in our money, buy the place, and set up an SD traditional Catholic community.

;D

The Harlequin King

Quote from: JoyfulMother on January 07, 2014, 10:18:05 AM

I would love a beautiful place like this.  We all pitch in our money, buy the place, and set up an SD traditional Catholic community.

;D

It would never get off the ground. Americans would just call that communism.

Older Salt

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 07, 2014, 10:10:09 AM
I know what I'm doing if I win the lottery. It perplexes me that these estates aren't all occupied by American lottery winners.
That exactly what I thought.

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Older Salt

Does anyone know if there is a regular TLM near Angers?

[the city closest to my fav house]

ADMG

Quote from: Parresia on January 07, 2014, 08:48:21 AM
Not to mention that, with the strength  of the SSPX and the number of traditional monasteries, etc. the Faith may make its return there before it does almost anywhere else. 

True for France at least. Even as things are I doubt there are many places in France where traditionalism is more than a half hour away. The SSPX have over 150 priests in France, and geographically it's not all that large.

Quote from: Older Salt on January 07, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
Does anyone know if there is a regular TLM near Angers?

[the city closest to my fav house]

It's beautiful, your own personal Brideshead  :D
They do in fact, and not any old TLM. The SSPX dominicans in Avrillé are in northern Angers. The entire TLM list is HERE.

Also you're pretty close to the Vendée, honestly what more could a Catholic ask? Quite stallin' and buy it so I get my commission ;)

drummerboy

Quote from: Parresia on January 07, 2014, 08:48:21 AM

Kind of ironic...south France used to be a hotbed of heresy in the Middle Ages, and now its like a bastion of the Faith.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

piabee

verbumdomini

JoyfulMother

Quote from: piabee on January 07, 2014, 12:05:53 PM
Thread not complete without this Buzzfeed list.

WTF?  How can these castles cost less than some homes in America?!!!

One thing for sure - I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill for one of those castles - it must be atrocious!

I guess I know what I am doing if I ever inherit a decent amount of money or win the lotto! ;D