Chapel veils and hats!

Started by Penelope, December 27, 2012, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Stubborn

They both are beautiful, though I will say that I've seen a few hats that I did not think were really a good fit for Church, but I can't say that about veils.
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Katyn

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2012, 02:24:30 AM
Quote from: Katyn on December 28, 2012, 05:46:06 PM
I like my veils. I have about six, and three scarves. That way I'm always matching and can mix things up. Not to trash people who religiously wear the same veil for eons... It's just fun to have a variety. Hats are nice also, and I look fairly decent in them. But unless you get white or beige you're a bit limited. I have two "Kate Middleton" hats (one in hot pink and the other is white) but it seems that summer is the only appropriate time to wear them.  And as for showing off... I always dress my best when attending the King's Court. (Oh that was syrupy....)

Definitely thought you were a man.

That's strange since every one of the few times I was in the FE chatroom you were most...oh let's find a word...endearing? Yes, endearing to me....
Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

Katyn

Quote from: tmw89 on December 29, 2012, 02:25:47 AM
I like my veils. I have about six, and three scarves. That way I'm always matching and can mix things up. Not to trash people who religiously wear the same veil for eons... It's just fun to have a variety. Hats are nice also, and I look fairly decent in them. But unless you get white or beige you're a bit limited. I have two "Kate Middleton" hats (one in hot pink and the other is white) but it seems that summer is the only appropriate time to wear them.  And as for showing off... I always dress my best when attending the King's Court. (Oh that was syrupy....)

A man who chooses the name Katyn... even on the Internet, I just can't see it.

Katyn is not a female name, though ;)

Lyubov

Quote from: Katyn on December 31, 2012, 09:27:15 AM

I also thought you were a man, but based on the Polish-themed posts you've made I just assumed your username referred to the Katyn Massacre.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Katyn

Quote from: Lyubov on December 31, 2012, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: Katyn on December 31, 2012, 09:27:15 AM

I also thought you were a man, but based on the Polish-themed posts you've made I just assumed your username referred to the Katyn Massacre.

Bravo. You win something incredible and amazing.

Lirael

I prefer long scarves so I can hide my face and prevent distractions.
However, I do have a beautiful antique black lace mantilla from Portugal that I accidentally put through the washer/dryer. Any suggestions on how to get it stretched back to its normal size? I'm afraid to iron it.
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

erin is nice

If I shave my head again I can stop wearing a veil, right?

Mithrandylan

Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

tx2step

I wear a veil, it's old, and "almond" shaped.
It is easy to keep on, the usual triangle shaped jobs seem to slip around, and are particularly tempting to being pulled or grabbed by little hands.
I look terrible in both a hat and a veil, but that's not why I wear it -
I also find that it really helps my focus during the Mass, I never have a problem being distracted by what is happening around me.
I really prefer old veils, the lace seems both softer and heavier somehow, better drape.

I don't remember who shrank their veil, but if it's ruined and you can't wear it anyway you have nothing to loosely trying to iron it.
I say give it a try!

phnuggle

Curious, how do we all feel about berets?

Penelope

There are a couple elderly women at my TLM who wear berets once in a while. They look cute, in that grandmotherly kind of way.

Lateran

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2012, 02:24:05 AM
Quote from: piabee on December 28, 2012, 03:20:40 PM

Styles change. The norm in trad circles is veils.

Modernist.

I have to [light-heartedly] agree. In many areas that the TLM has been recovered all we have as to customs and shared or handed down practices were those of the days before the protestant mass arose (NO) or we are creating New customs. We really do need to be aware of this.

As a male and other than the woman of my family and close friends of the female gender, I have no input and really don't give two figs on the matter. I do like woman with hats and I do support veiling and I have asked (note: asked  ;D ) that my sister wear a hat.

From my distant childhood (I was born after conciliar church) I recall that the ancient Italian (some Italian-American, but most were Italian) woman of my Parish wore solid black and 'smart' black hats.