Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Well, I ended up not receiving The Liturgical Year after all. The seller only sent the first book. Needless to say, I got a refund. Now I'm on the hunt for another set. :(
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Quote from: Bernadette on May 18, 2019, 01:49:23 PM
Well, I ended up not receiving The Liturgical Year after all. The seller only sent the first book. Needless to say, I got a refund. Now I'm on the hunt for another set. :(

Bummer.

I had an experience a while ago where I purchased a DRB special edition from the 50s from Amazon private seller. They sent me a KJV. Still same artwork and edition type, but wrong text. Sent it back and they gave refund.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

Now I've bought The Liturgical Year:P Complete hardcover set, for about what I paid for the first "set", and probably in better condition. Seller's shipping them out today!  ;D Anybody know of a good liturgical calendar online, so I can start with the right volume?
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

62? 55? Late-mid 1800s when Dom Gueranger was writing?
:D

Here's the 1962 from OLGS seminary:
http://www.fsspolgs.org/en/liturgical-aids/liturgical-calendar/
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Gardener

Kaesekopf

I bought a prayer book off Goodwill.

Thanks, Gardener.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

They have some gems every once in a while, for sure. Got an entire Summa on there for... I dunno, 67 bucks or something?

Vetus Ordo

I was recently given a very nice book that teaches the fundamentals of how to write the letters and sounds of the Arabic language: Alif Baa, Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds.

I hope to finally be able to read and write Arabic by the end of the year. It's something that I've been too lazy to do until now.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Gardener

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 26, 2019, 06:53:46 PM
I was recently given a very nice book that teaches the fundamentals of how to write the letters and sounds of the Arabic language: Alif Baa, Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds.

I hope to finally be able to read and write Arabic by the end of the year. It's something that I've been too lazy to do until now.

I used that one for my Intro to Arabic class.

I never kept up with it, but it's a beautiful language.

Josephine87

I bought a tiny Confraternity New Testament with a fascinating little intro regarding its translation and earlier translations of the Rheims NT. I've been meaning to make a thread about it, maybe Tuesday. A couple used Catholic books: This is the Mass and Catholic History through Biography. I also got a lovely used kids book called In The Town all Year Round. No words, just beautifully illustrated and it even includes nuns and a monastery! Also got a couple used Spanish books for kids.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Bernadette

A new rosary to replace the one that was lost. And some hematite beads to make an inexpensive one that I can carry with me.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

A Ruitertassen leather satchel (from ebay). Finally! I've wanted one for years! Although I love leatherwork, there's no way I could possibly make a bag as nice as one of these. And a St. Teresa medal (also from ebay) to put on my rosary, the exact same one as the one that was on my lost rosary, except that one was silver and this one is gold.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Missal which was not at all expensive considering its size and condition.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

Used my amazon gift card to buy a Kobo ereader.  :P
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Blech. I hate this thing! I wonder if I can send it back...
My Lord and my God.