Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Othmar

It's quite historically inaccurate, and seems to espouse some strange revisionism. I mean, why refer to historical characters if you just make up almost everything? Some parts are almost insulting to anyone who knows a bit of medieval history (Ius Primae Noctis, kilts, ...). The scenery was quite fine, as well as the battle scenes. The pacing is a bit uneven, and the love scenes are a bore. Mel Gibson is a good actor, though I think Patrick McGoohan was the real star.

I'm not saying that it's bad, but it has some deep flaws. It's certainly a spectacle, and I don't regret seeing it, but it is somewhat overrated.

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Othmar on August 01, 2013, 10:14:48 AM
It's quite historically inaccurate

Doesn't matter, no one is getting graded on the outcome but I see your point. I am bothered however by historical inaccuracies when the agenda is anti-Catholic. The Elizabeth movie for example.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Bonaventure

It's very inaccurate. William Wallace did not simultaneously die with Edward Longshanks. The notion that he fathered Edward III is, historically, ridiculous.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gerard

Quote from: Bonaventure on August 01, 2013, 12:40:10 PM
It's very inaccurate. William Wallace did not simultaneously die with Edward Longshanks. The notion that he fathered Edward III is, historically, ridiculous.

If you watch it with the Director's Commentary, Mel Gibson points out a lot of the historical changes that were made, some for Hollywood storytelling purposes and others for pragmatic filming purposes. 
Gibson didn't even want to play the part because he was too old (37 at the time), Wallace was castrated before his execution and a host of other details. 

Othmar

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on August 01, 2013, 10:22:22 AM
I am bothered however by historical inaccuracies when the agenda is anti-Catholic. The Elizabeth movie for example.
I think I've only seen its sequel, or was too young to remember the first one. In any case, some scenes might yet have some didactic use.

Concerning the diabolisation of Catholics in films about Queen Elizabeth, I guess it's bound to happen with "Bloody Mary" still lingering in British culture. Are there any films about Elizabeth that portray Catholics somewhat sympathetically?

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Larry

Quote from: Othmar on August 01, 2013, 01:40:37 PM
I am bothered however by historical inaccuracies when the agenda is anti-Catholic. The Elizabeth movie for example.
I think I've only seen its sequel, or was too young to remember the first one. In any case, some scenes might yet have some didactic use.

Concerning the diabolisation of Catholics in films about Queen Elizabeth, I guess it's bound to happen with "Bloody Mary" still lingering in British culture. Are there any films about Elizabeth that portray Catholics somewhat sympathetically?

John Ford's MARY OF SCOTLAND portrays Elizabeth as a harpy, makes Reformer John Knox look like a fanatic, and presents the Catholic Faith in a sympathetic manner.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Othmar

Quote from: Larry S. on August 01, 2013, 05:32:51 PM

John Ford's MARY OF SCOTLAND portrays Elizabeth as a harpy, makes Reformer John Knox look like a fanatic, and presents the Catholic Faith in a sympathetic manner.
Didn't it flop precisely because of that?  :P

Larry

Quote from: Othmar on August 01, 2013, 05:41:30 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on August 01, 2013, 05:32:51 PM

Didn't it flop precisely because of that?  :P

I know it didn't do very well, but I don't know if that's why. I think it was Katherine Hepburn. She was labeled "box office poison" around the time this movie was released.

Hat And Beard

All 25 seasons of this:

They don't make programs like this anymore. Nope. Now all they make is crap and I'm angry about it!!!

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Hat And Beard on August 01, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
All 25 seasons of this:

They don't make programs like this anymore. Nope. Now all they make is crap and I'm angry about it!!!

I don't know of programs that are quite like that (if you mean explicitly educational cartoon shows), but there are good cartoon series still being made today. I made a thread not long ago about Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel, The Legend of Korra. They are pretty darn good. I would even speculate to say, perhaps even better than the cartoons I saw growing up (with the exception of Batman: The Animated Series).

But I thought this thread was for movies, not TV shows. If it were about serials, I'd post here a lot more frequently.

zork

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (1972). Non-Rifftrax version, out of morbid curiosity.

The film wasn't very good.  ::)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Larry

Wolverine. It was great, much better than the Wolverine:Origins movie.