What type of discipline works well with your children?

Started by Mushroom, July 17, 2023, 12:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TradGranny

I was unable to put this part in bold

and discipline when they are old enough to know the rules and have deliberately defied you by breaking clearly-understood rules

To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Greg

I actually used a rubber mallet.  Wanted to terrify him into thinking about the stupidity of dope smoking.  It worked, he stopped.  I could have done real damage with a claw hammer.  Rubber mallets hurt but hard to break a bone with them.

I tend to let my children get away with a lot of their own stuff.  But when I do object I really make it clear they have crossed a line.

I bet the younger 2 won't even try drugs. Mallets are scary.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bonaventure

Quote from: TradGranny on July 18, 2023, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: Greg on July 18, 2023, 08:22:01 AMBeat them hard when they are young (if they need it) and they will fear a beating later on.  You will probably not need to beat them as the threat of a beating is enough.  As James says, a stinging slap around the leg or their buttocks.

Never had to smack my two girls or two of the boys.  Two other boys needed a bit of smacking.  My teenage son I hit with a rubber mallet when he was smoking dope at 14.  He stopped smoking dope.  Wasn't worth the grief he got from me.

I cannot hit him any longer as he is 18 and a decent boxer.  He would win.

Using words like "smacking" "hit with a rubber mallet" and "beat them hard" indicate both a lack of chaity and a lack of maturity.

The man has successfully raised 6 kids and is married. The kids are all practicing.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."