To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dellery

One really has to wonder about Mr. Hemsey sometimes, but much of his music is inspired by the Secret War, and his style is comfortably apocalyptic.

Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

Fifty years old, and it stomps all over anything being recorded today.  "OK boomer," where is thy sting?

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 23, 2021, 07:58:36 AM

Fifty years old, and it stomps all over anything being recorded today.  "OK boomer," where is thy sting?

Please. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.  :lol:

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

dellery

Nous Defions

dellery

I've slayed a lot of paper, cardboard, and steel, listening to Sarah McLachlan.

Nous Defions

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:13:33 AMPlease. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.

Well, all of life is a disputing over taste.  I listened to the "Zack Hemsey" song you posted above and couldn't even make it half of the way through.  It's music, I suppose.  To each their own.  I will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.  I don't know if you were serious about listening to Taylor Swift or not.  Surely you couldn't be.  But perhaps you were.  No lo sé.  As a boomer once sang, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times."

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 23, 2021, 08:36:19 AM
Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:13:33 AMPlease. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.

Well, all of life is a disputing over taste.  I listened to the "Zack Hemsey" song you posted above and couldn't even make it half of the way through.  It's music, I suppose.  To each their own.  I will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.  I don't know if you were serious about listening to Taylor Swift or not.  Surely you couldn't be.  But perhaps you were.  No lo sé.  As a boomer once sang, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times."

Sorry, teasing people about their music is something I enjoy doing, and my musical tastes are definitely gay enough to embrace Taylor Swift.

Nous Defions

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:40:13 AMSorry, teasing people about their music is something I enjoy doing

That's okay.  I have the same tendency.

Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:40:13 AMand my musical tastes are definitely gay enough to embrace Taylor Swift.

Ouf.

dellery

In contemporary music a common theme is that the woman speaks to the man and vice versa. This is because all contemporary music is an advertisement. It does not advertise a specific product, however, but a collection of lifestyles and worldviews. People are more susceptible to suggestions made from the opposite sex rather than the same.
Moreover, all advertisement, according to the standardized practices of Bernays and Lippman etc., must convey a secondary message meant to control public opinion about certain issues. Like when a Coke or Pepsi ad shows several different people harmoniously coming together to give themselves diabetes. The ad sells the product as well as the message.

Another thing to watch for in contemporary music is the Song of Songs emanating from the subterranean depths of what at first glance seems like trash. 

Nous Defions

Lydia Purpuraria

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.  :lol:

Ohhh now, take it back what you've said!  ;D

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 09:14:34 AMAnother thing to watch for in contemporary music is the Song of Songs emanating from the subterranean depths of what at first glance seems like trash.

You mean bad quality ancient Hebrew erotic poetry?  Trash is trash, whenever and whoever composes it.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 23, 2021, 08:36:19 AMI will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.

Are you saying it's inconsistent as in the later records are not as good as their earlier records -- or are you talking the whole kit and caboodle, with almost peerless gems mixed in throughout? 

Mono no aware

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on April 23, 2021, 09:51:34 AMAre you saying it's inconsistent as in the later records are not as good as their earlier records -- or are you talking the whole kit and caboodle, with almost peerless gems mixed in throughout?

I think the first two albums are consistently good from beginning to end.  After that, each record suffers from extreme ups and downs (except for the fourth).  I mean, The Crunge is a truly execrable song, and it's on the same record as the masterpiece No Quarter.  And on the later records, I'm afraid, the good songs become more infrequent.