Author Topic: To what are you currently listening?  (Read 437166 times)

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Re: To what are you currently listening?
« Reply #3315 on: April 20, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
One really has to wonder about Mr. Hemsey sometimes, but much of his music is inspired by the Secret War, and his style is comfortably apocalyptic.

My grace is sufficient for thee; for power is made perfect in infirmity.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3316 on: April 22, 2021, 07:40:42 AM »
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, mikemac, Lydia Purpuraria

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Agnostic
« Reply #3317 on: April 23, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »
↑ 

Fifty years old, and it stomps all over anything being recorded today.  "OK boomer," where is thy sting?
"Moses was but a juggler."
attr. Christopher Marlowe (1564 – 1593)

The following users thanked this post: Lydia Purpuraria

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3318 on: April 23, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »
↑ 

Fifty years old, and it stomps all over anything being recorded today.  "OK boomer," where is thy sting?

Please. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.  :lol:

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3319 on: April 23, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3320 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
I've slayed a lot of paper, cardboard, and steel, listening to Sarah McLachlan.

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
De gustibus est disputandum
« Reply #3321 on: April 23, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »
Please. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.

Well, all of life is a disputing over taste.  I listened to the "Zack Hemsey" song you posted above and couldn't even make it half of the way through.  It's music, I suppose.  To each their own.  I will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.  I don't know if you were serious about listening to Taylor Swift or not.  Surely you couldn't be.  But perhaps you were.  No lo sé.  As a boomer once sang, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times."

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3322 on: April 23, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.

Well, all of life is a disputing over taste.  I listened to the "Zack Hemsey" song you posted above and couldn't even make it half of the way through.  It's music, I suppose.  To each their own.  I will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.  I don't know if you were serious about listening to Taylor Swift or not.  Surely you couldn't be.  But perhaps you were.  No lo sé.  As a boomer once sang, "I guess I just wasn't made for these times."

Sorry, teasing people about their music is something I enjoy doing, and my musical tastes are definitely gay enough to embrace Taylor Swift.

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Lydia Purpuraria

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3323 on: April 23, 2021, 10:48:38 AM »
Sorry, teasing people about their music is something I enjoy doing

That's okay.  I have the same tendency.

and my musical tastes are definitely gay enough to embrace Taylor Swift.

Ouf.

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3324 on: April 23, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »

Offline dellery

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3325 on: April 23, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
In contemporary music a common theme is that the woman speaks to the man and vice versa. This is because all contemporary music is an advertisement. It does not advertise a specific product, however, but a collection of lifestyles and worldviews. People are more susceptible to suggestions made from the opposite sex rather than the same.
Moreover, all advertisement, according to the standardized practices of Bernays and Lippman etc., must convey a secondary message meant to control public opinion about certain issues. Like when a Coke or Pepsi ad shows several different people harmoniously coming together to give themselves diabetes. The ad sells the product as well as the message.

Another thing to watch for in contemporary music is the Song of Songs emanating from the subterranean depths of what at first glance seems like trash. 

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3326 on: April 23, 2021, 11:46:07 AM »

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.  :lol:

Ohhh now, take it back what you've said!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:27:34 PM by Lydia Purpuraria »

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3327 on: April 23, 2021, 11:49:44 AM »
Another thing to watch for in contemporary music is the Song of Songs emanating from the subterranean depths of what at first glance seems like trash.

You mean bad quality ancient Hebrew erotic poetry?  Trash is trash, whenever and whoever composes it.

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Re: De gustibus est disputandum
« Reply #3328 on: April 23, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
I will concede that Led Zeppelin's discography is inconsistent, but their best songs are almost peerless.

Are you saying it's inconsistent as in the later records are not as good as their earlier records -- or are you talking the whole kit and caboodle, with almost peerless gems mixed in throughout? 

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
Re: De gustibus est disputandum
« Reply #3329 on: April 23, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
Are you saying it's inconsistent as in the later records are not as good as their earlier records -- or are you talking the whole kit and caboodle, with almost peerless gems mixed in throughout?

I think the first two albums are consistently good from beginning to end.  After that, each record suffers from extreme ups and downs (except for the fourth).  I mean, The Crunge is a truly execrable song, and it's on the same record as the masterpiece No Quarter.  And on the later records, I'm afraid, the good songs become more infrequent.