Selling on eBay

Started by Bonaventure, March 27, 2013, 12:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: Greg on April 12, 2013, 06:31:14 PM
You annoy me every day.

If there were a rule against annoying you, I wouldn't be able to do that.   :tongue:
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: RealJayneK on April 12, 2013, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: Greg on April 12, 2013, 06:31:14 PM
You annoy me every day.

If there were a rule against annoying you, I wouldn't be able to do that.   :tongue:

I should start making SD pay-for-play.....  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

What Ggregg advises is wrong. Plain and simple. It violates the spirit of Virtue. Ggregg, if you are indeed the real person you claim to be, you will have to face God one day and explain why you advocate lying to get into tourist attractions, lying to use gyms at hotels, and lying to siphon money from people. Yes, yes. Sit back and chuckle and default into one of your Midas touch stories you oh so love to tell us.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

Churches are not tourist attractions.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jayne

Quote from: Heinrich on April 17, 2013, 05:36:11 PM
What Ggregg advises is wrong. Plain and simple. It violates the spirit of Virtue.

I agree.  It has no more place on a Catholic forum than immodest pictures. 

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on April 18, 2013, 12:40:01 AM

But saying you are an Anglican pilgrim to gain admittance free of charge is lie. Or is it?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

KumbayaDominumMeum

Quote from: Heinrich on April 18, 2013, 04:53:42 AM

But saying you are an Anglican pilgrim to gain admittance free of charge is lie. Or is it?

That would depend on whether or not you were, in fact, an Anglican pilgrim. Even, alas, if the building had been stolen from Holy Mother Church.

stitchmom

I don't see a friend's bid on ebay to be unethical. People are not going there for their only chance of buying potable water after a storm or penicillin for a raging infection. 

KumbayaDominumMeum

Quote from: stitchmom on April 18, 2013, 02:01:21 PM
I don't see a friend's bid on ebay to be unethical. People are not going there for their only chance of buying potable water after a storm or penicillin for a raging infection.

Having a "friend" bid up the price just to get more money from someone who is bidding legitimately is unethical, a violation of the agreement you made with eBay (if they catch you doing it, it's adios, Baby), and downright sleazy. It's also a venial sin, and getting your friend to participate is another venial sin, plus they've committed a sin now.

Heinrich

Quote from: KumbayaDominumMeum on April 18, 2013, 12:55:14 PM

That would depend on whether or not you were, in fact, an Anglican pilgrim. Even, alas, if the building had been stolen from Holy Mother Church.

Yes, it was. And to true Pilgrims it is a destination. For people who lie in order to not pay, that fact does not hold up to Virtue.

KumbayaDominumMeum

I would much rather be a Catholic pilgrim and pay a few bob (or a few quid) to get in than be an Anglican pilgrim and get in free!

Greg

Quote from: Heinrich on April 18, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

Yes, it was. And to true Pilgrims it is a destination. For people who lie in order to not pay, that fact does not hold up to Virtue.

I did not say I was an Anglican pilgrim.  Just a pilgrim.  There is no definition of where the pilgrimage must start.  Perhaps my Pilgrimage was from the last pub.  Besides Canterbury was a Catholic Cathedral.  They stole it.

If it is immoral to break an unjust rule and immoral to not pay the Anglicans to enter their stolen Church built by Catholics to examine what our Catholic forefathers built, then what of Saint Nicholas Du Chardonet in Paris?  They did not just steal a peak - they stole the whole Church and still have it today.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Quote from: KumbayaDominumMeum on April 18, 2013, 03:07:03 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on April 18, 2013, 02:01:21 PM

Having a "friend" bid up the price just to get more money from someone who is bidding legitimately is unethical, a violation of the agreement you made with eBay (if they catch you doing it, it's adios, Baby), and downright sleazy. It's also a venial sin, and getting your friend to participate is another venial sin, plus they've committed a sin now.

Not the case.  It benefits eBay which is why they act against shill bidding only when the most egregious examples of it happen and usually involve some other kind of fraud or dishonest behaviour.  Google it, it is happening in many cases.

What do you mean, "more money?"  If I want £15 for my old stereo, then £12 is not enough for me to sell it.  The low bid was an offer, not a contract.  So 'more' does not make any sense.  The shill bid is a reserve.  Besides shill bids have existed as long as auctions have. Ask any farmer.

There are rules in society, laws in fact, about driving, reporting taxes and telling the school why Johnny was absent yesterday or why we took a day off work which we break all of the time.

Jayne

Quote from: Greg on April 19, 2013, 12:17:32 AM
There are rules in society, laws in fact, about driving, reporting taxes and telling the school why Johnny was absent yesterday or why we took a day off work which we break all of the time.

If one of your children excused doing something wrong on the grounds "everybody else does it" would you find that acceptable?

This is not a good reason even if it were true.  I do not break any of the rules you mention and see no reason to think that many Catholics who take their faith seriously do.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on April 19, 2013, 12:02:50 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on April 18, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

I did not say I was an Anglican pilgrim.  Just a pilgrim.  There is no definition of where the pilgrimage must start.  Perhaps my Pilgrimage was from the last pub.  Besides Canterbury was a Catholic Cathedral.  They stole it.

Even a dullard such as myself can see where this is wholly wrong. There is a debate here in regards to the integrity of a true pilgrimage. Your explanation fails even the most lenient legitimization test. Yes, as it has been said numerous times, Canterbury was a Catholic Cathedral. I know. I can read. I get it. But your original statement waaaaay back some time ago about this on FE demonstrated that you were not on a pilgrimage, you just acted like you were on one to gain free admittance. You lied. And you believe it to be OK to do.