Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Quote from: Bernadette on September 30, 2019, 04:23:53 PM
Blech. I hate this thing! I wonder if I can send it back...

Sure - but they'll expect you to buy another Kindle.

I'm stuck on mine for now and still like it.  I'm too lazy to take the trouble to boycott Amazon, and happy with their treatment of me.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Bernadette

Quote from: Non Nobis on September 30, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
I'm too lazy to take the trouble to boycott Amazon

IKR? It's a lot of work!
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Banjo.

Funny story... so I had been wanting a banjo for a while - a long while, actually (a buddy had one years ago and I played it until he couldn't stand it). I was looking on Craigslist and saw a Fender banjo for a good price, but it was in Yale, OK. A bit of a drive for a "deal". Then work took me to Yale to give a cybersecurity presentation to a bunch of oil and gas pipeline workers. I contacted the seller and said I was in town for a few hours. He was in Stillwater working, but said he could get his sister to drop it off and take the money. Good to go.

So I get done with the  presentation and after I packed up my stuff I told my Senior, "This might be the most redneck thing you're gonna hear today, but I'll be back in a few minutes. Gonna go to the gas station next door to buy a banjo." He brushes it off with a "k." He must have thought I was speaking in euphemisms.

Off I go. Dude's sister is in a silver toyota, he said. I get over there and there's 3 silver toyotas driven by women. Crap. So I'm standing there looking confused when this country gal of well-fed proportions pops her head out of a Corolla and exclaims, "Ya here to buy a banjo!?" Yes, ma'am, and twice on Saturday.

Money, meet hand. Banjo, meet Gardener.

Run back over to the restaurant where we did the meeting and plop the banjo on the table while I get my stuff. Senior blurts out, "Where'd you get a banjo?" From the gas station parking lot, dude. Were you not listening?

Our manager comes over. Same thing, "Where'd you get a banjo?!" Come on guys, we're in rural Oklahoma. These things grow on trees!

So now I have a banjo. Gonna take some lessons.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Gardener

Quote from: mikemac on October 01, 2019, 08:50:24 PM
Funny story.  Is it a five string?

It is. I have my first lesson today after work.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

The Curt Jester

What's the definition of perfect pitch?

Getting the banjo into the garbage can on the first try.

That said, I like banjos.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Gardener

Some flame resistant clothing and safety boots for site visits. Work reimbursed. I'd have never spent this much on shoes otherwise. But I like the boots.

These boots: https://www.ariat.com/OVERDRIV_SQ_TOE_CT_M_FOO.html?dwvar_OVERDRIV__SQ__TOE__CT__M__FOO_color=TOAST

Heinrich

Bought a Full Boar slingshot. The Maddog model may be in the offing as well, but I have never used a product like this so I wanted to play it, eh, conservative.

https://markbellslingshot.com/collections/sling-shot/products/full-boar-sling-shot
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Heinrich on October 05, 2019, 01:17:02 PM
Bought a Full Boar slingshot. The Maddog model may be in the offing as well, but I have never used a product like this so I wanted to play it, eh, conservative.

https://markbellslingshot.com/collections/sling-shot/products/full-boar-sling-shot

As you might have guessed, I've never used a product like this either.

I was thinking of a slingshot like David used to kill Goliath - which wasn't even correct since David used a sling, not a slingshot. Hmm, maybe David did use one of these mark bell slingshots to strengthen his arms. On the other hand maybe Goliath did, in which case I do not recommend them.  ;D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Heinrich

Quote from: Non Nobis on October 05, 2019, 02:06:12 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on October 05, 2019, 01:17:02 PM

As you might have guessed, I've never used a product like this either.

I was thinking of a slingshot like David used to kill Goliath - which wasn't even correct since David used a sling, not a slingshot. Hmm, maybe David did use one of these mark bell slingshots to strengthen his arms. On the other hand maybe Goliath did, in which case I do not recommend them.  ;D

Well, I just used it and it was the greatest "pump" I've ever had. It works to stabilize the shoulders and assure proper form in what is called the "bench press." It allows for higher weights, giving one's primary muscles and central nervous system an overload capacity that transfers to higher lifts for personal records(PR) or in competition. It is a supplemental tool, not a get strong quick without the hard work apparatus.

And wouldn't you know it, my name is "David," but please call me "Dave" in person. Hier bin ich aber der Heinrich.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

But you're built like Goliath.

Then again, everyone seem tall to me :)

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on October 05, 2019, 06:27:12 PM
But you're built like Goliath.

Then again, everyone seem tall to me :)

Trying to get the 5-0-0 by 5-0, yo. 

Warwick

I have a Traditional English Ale collection.