Christocentric Poetry

Started by Philip G., January 06, 2019, 10:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip G.

Please provide me with a list of traditional catholic works or devotions that you would describe as being poetry about Jesus.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

John Donne wrote some religious poetry. Also St. Therese of Lisieux.
My Lord and my God.

Der Polka-König

St John of the Cross of course wrote some brilliant religious poetry, as have many other Carmelites through the centuries (e.g. St Teresa of Avila, and St Therese of Lisieux, whom Bernadette already mentioned).
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Gardener

While not as poetic in the translated English (unsure about Latin), Song of Songs and Psalms are very poetic and often about Christ. Song of Songs is basically "wine poetry", and a lot of the Sufi writers have kept up with the style.

Chesterton, of course.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Non Nobis

https://www.amazon.com/Poems-Every-Catholic-Should-Know/dp/1505108624/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1546924560&sr=8-1

"All of the great ones are here: Hildegard of Bingen, Francis of Assisi, Dante and Chaucer from the High Middle Ages; Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and John Donne from the Reformation; English and American Romantics such as Browning and Whittier; late nineteenth-century mystics like Dickenson and Hopkins, as well the great converts of that period like Newman and Chesterton;"

I asked for and received this book for Christmas, and it looks very good. I think  some of the authors are Christian but not actually Catholic - probably still worth reading. (The binding of the book is imitation leather and looks nice; but I think the cover is too flexible and could be bent easily).
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Josephine87

"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Daniel

Here's something medieval that I ran into a while back, called the Speculum Humanae Salvationis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_Humanae_Salvationis

An English* translation is available here: https://books.google.com/books?id=pdVBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's pretty lengthy (45 chapters), kind of like the Gospel in the form of a poem, and contains a lot of explicit typology. The preface is a poem which functions as sort of a table of contents lol

*Note: It's in middle English, not modern English. But it's still pretty readable.

Heinrich

Well, there is the true masterpiece of the Middle Ages, Piers Plowman. A series of allegorical satires and perhaps parodies on life then. Not necessarily a paean, but a cultural piece with endearing religious overtones.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.