List of Top 5 Movies Please?

Started by Quo Vadis, February 03, 2013, 10:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

totiusque

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 05, 2013, 07:40:51 PM
What I am understanding from this is that "Top" movies are not necessarily "favorite" movies...?
  :-\

It just seems to be too broad a topic, which is why I was unable to narrow it down to 5.  Are we talking Top 5 movies in cinematic history (Citizen Kane-like), Top 5 Catholic movies, Top 5 entertaining popcorn flicks (enter Die Hard), Top 5 quotable movies (MP&the Holy Grail, Dumb & Dumber), or the hypothetical "if you are on an island and could only bring 5 movies with you" kind of list?
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Gottmitunsalex

Personal selections in worldly movies:
The Eagle has Landed is a very good movie.
The Three Days of the Condor.
The Rock
The Picture of Dorian Grey. (1945)

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (I can't get enough of this movie.)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVsxx2TlKrc[/yt]

My favorite "football" movie, I mean real football. not NFL.  ;D
"Victory". "Escape to Victory" (UK)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxj26vcwMI[/yt]
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Quo Vadis

Quote from: totiusque on February 05, 2013, 07:52:19 PM
What I am understanding from this is that "Top" movies are not necessarily "favorite" movies...?

It just seems to be too broad a topic, which is why I was unable to narrow it down to 5.  Are we talking Top 5 movies in cinematic history (Citizen Kane-like), Top 5 Catholic movies, Top 5 entertaining popcorn flicks (enter Die Hard), Top 5 quotable movies (MP&the Holy Grail, Dumb & Dumber), or the hypothetical "if you are on an island and could only bring 5 movies with you" kind of list?

Probably "if you are on an island" is the closest.  I would revise that to "if you only had a year or so left of opportunity".  I like the mix of ideas I'm getting.  But I see now that it imposes a hardship on the movie-lover's mentality!  Thanks again.
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem

Hat And Beard

Pickpocket directed by Robert Bresson
Breathless directed by Jean-Luc Godard
Vertigo directed by Alfred Hitchcock
Andrei Rublev directed by Andrei Tarkovsky
8 1/2 directed by Frederico Fellini

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

These are not specifically Catholic movies, but it is a small sample of movies that I particularly enjoy. In no meaningful order:

Tangled
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Dark Water (2002 Japanese original)
5cm Per Second
Serpico
The most recent Batman trilogy
Goodfellas
The Sixth Sense
Shutter Island
Taken

Various levels of 'parental advisories' on those ones, obviously. Somewhat objectionable scenes in a few of them. Sex scene in Crouching Tiger, torture in Taken, some pretty brutal violence in Goodfellas, etc.. Anyway, these are some movies I enjoy.

Speaking of 5cm Per Second, IMO that is a stunningly beautiful film.

Very powerful movie. Could be compared to a Miyazaki film in terms of its artistic style, although I'm not quite familiar enough with Miyazaki to be able to say just how closely it compares in that or in other areas.
You might call it a 'coming of age' drama, but it is quite short, and the way the story is told is very understated, almost minimalist. A lot of it is simply left to whatever you took from it. It actually made me rather sad, so I had to go watch some happy stuff immediately afterwards. :D
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Ben

The cartoon looks interesting.

Pickpocket was very good. I want to see it again. Was Dark Water made into a remake with Jennifer Connelly?

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Ben on February 06, 2013, 03:32:39 PM
Was Dark Water made into a remake with Jennifer Connelly?

It was. I heard it was terrible, so I have never bothered to watch it. The original is quite good. Just a straight up ghost story. Really excellent set. Created the perfect mood for the whole movie.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MUHXCdwaE[/yt]
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "

????????????

tmw89

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on February 06, 2013, 01:52:06 AM

I agree.  It might be the most refreshing animated feature from Japan from the last decade.  And it's a movie that should be seen at least in standard HD - the "International" Blu-ray from Japan is relatively inexpensive, although I don't think the US is too far away from its own Blu-ray release.

Have you seen any of Shinkai's other movies?  The Place Promised In Our Early Days was more intriguing thematically, but not as well-executed.  His most recent, Children Who Case Lost Voices plays more like a Ghibli/Miyazaki film at first, but is even more wildly imaginative in its imagery (especially the final 15-20 minutes).
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

tmw89

Quote from: totiusque on February 05, 2013, 07:52:19 PM

...if we are talking about cinematic history, the Sight & Sound magazine's list is the most respected.  The magazine polls top critics and directors every ten years; this is the top five from the most recent critics' poll, last year (foreign titles listed in English):

1.  Vertigo, by Alfred Hitchcock
2.  Citizen Kane, by Orson Welles
3.  Tokyo Story, by Yasujiro Ozu
4.  The Rules of the Game, by Jean Renoir
5.  Sunrise, by F. W. Murnau

This is the top five from last year's directors' poll:

1.  Tokyo Story, by Yasujiro Ozu
2.  2001:  A Space Odyssey, by Stanley Kubrick
2.  Citizen Kane, by Orson Welles
4.  8 1/2, by Federico Fellini
5.  Taxi Driver, by Martin Scorsese

You can check out more at the following link:  http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandsoundpolls/2012/
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: tmw89 on February 06, 2013, 05:54:58 PM
Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on February 06, 2013, 01:52:06 AM

I agree.  It might be the most refreshing animated feature from Japan from the last decade.  And it's a movie that should be seen at least in standard HD - the "International" Blu-ray from Japan is relatively inexpensive, although I don't think the US is too far away from its own Blu-ray release.

Have you seen any of Shinkai's other movies?  The Place Promised In Our Early Days was more intriguing thematically, but not as well-executed.  His most recent, Children Who Case Lost Voices plays more like a Ghibli/Miyazaki film at first, but is even more wildly imaginative in its imagery (especially the final 15-20 minutes).

I have not had the pleasure yet, although I have seen the name come up once in a while. This should remind me to sit down and watch it now. :)

????????????

Ben

tmw, I'd like to see a list of your top 100.

Irenaeus, I'm going to watch the Japanese original of Dark Water. The Connelly version was decent.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Ben on February 06, 2013, 08:29:01 PM
Irenaeus, I'm going to watch the Japanese original of Dark Water. The Connelly version was decent.

I hope you enjoy it. :) I streamed it online first, but I loved it so much that I ordered a copy via Amazon.

????????????

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Ben

I'm still waiting for tmw's top 100 list.  :(

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 07, 2013, 12:55:57 AM
Henry V just made my list.
AWESOME!
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUXxdRqHQU[/yt]
I saw it for the second time!

How could I have missed this movie?!

That Branagh. Darn good actor!