Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

The Tempest, with Helen Mirren as "Prospera". Some liberties taken there!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

piabee

Quote from: erin is nice on May 14, 2015, 06:56:20 AM
I went to a very fancy movie theater last night to see Heaven Adores You, the new Elliott Smith documentary. My sister said 'why do you want to see that? It's going to be so depressing' — but it wasn't depressing at all. I really enjoyed it.

I almost saw it this week but I could barely make it through a clip. As my sister put it, "so far seems like ugly men talking about chords. boring."

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

erin is nice

Quote from: piabee on May 15, 2015, 10:32:17 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on May 14, 2015, 06:56:20 AM
I went to a very fancy movie theater last night to see Heaven Adores You, the new Elliott Smith documentary. My sister said 'why do you want to see that? It's going to be so depressing' — but it wasn't depressing at all. I really enjoyed it.

I almost saw it this week but I could barely make it through a clip. As my sister put it, "so far seems like ugly men talking about chords. boring."

Well I guess if you only go to movies for eye-candy you won't like it. The people who were instrumental in the 90s Portland music scene aren't exactly young anymore. It was very interesting to me as a die-hard Elliott Smith fan, and yes there was a lot about chords since his were so unique and difficult to play.

piabee

Quote from: erin is nice on May 17, 2015, 03:50:43 PM
Well I guess if you only go to movies for eye-candy you won't like it. The people who were instrumental in the 90s Portland music scene aren't exactly young anymore. It was very interesting to me as a die-hard Elliott Smith fan, and yes there was a lot about chords since his were so unique and difficult to play.

I'm sure I'll watch in spurts on DVD at some point. There's a pretty far distance from "only go[ing] to movies for eye-candy" and deciding not to invest an entire evening taking a trip back into the city for a moderately dry doc. ::)

erin is nice

Quote from: piabee on May 18, 2015, 12:30:21 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on May 17, 2015, 03:50:43 PM

I'm sure I'll watch in spurts on DVD at some point. There's a pretty far distance from "only go[ing] to movies for eye-candy" and deciding not to invest an entire evening taking a trip back into the city for a moderately dry doc. ::)

It probably won't appeal to the casual fan and it definitely won't appeal to those looking for something with a lot of drama/scandal.

Basilios

Age of Ultron

It was okay.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

red solo cup

Watched Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. I usually don't care for Cruise but this movie was decent.  The I made the mistake of watching Noah with Russell Crowe. A truly awful experience. Just terrible.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Basilios on May 19, 2015, 08:08:34 AM
Age of Ultron

It was okay.

Yeah.  It's setting up Civil War.  Subtly, but it is.

I hope they settle the whole XMen thing so we can see more mutants. 

Arun

Open Windows. it was actually a pretty good movie.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Rose

To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arun

Quote from: Rose on May 30, 2015, 05:22:56 PM
Dark Water  :ghost1: :hide:

if you want to get even more scared about it, look up Elisa Lam....

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Kaesekopf

Nope nope nope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Miriam_M

Late to the party, because it wasn't a very recent viewing, but it explains why I seldom see movies and why this last one was almost 6 months ago.   I hated Mr. Turner.  Went with my daughter.  Both of us love art, and I love biography as well, so we expected something more tasteful than scene after scene of gratuitous sex.  I notice that in none of the reviews or synopses is there any mention of that.  Why?  Because audiences and critics alike have come to expect gratuitous sex as the norm.  I'm sure the critics would have howled if there weren't lots of gratuitous sex.

We both walked away feeling angry.

I'll stick with Turner Classic Movies, thank you.  Nice and safe.  And usually a lot more interesting.

Call me boring, I don't care.