the growth of St. Mary's

Started by Michael Wilson, August 09, 2018, 07:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

We just received the last [read: "Latest"] edition of the St. Mary's Assumption Chapel (SSPX) bulletin and in this issue which details all the work that has been done to restore, maintain and improve on the old Jesuit Seminary campus, Fr. Rutledge states that:
QuoteThe work that the Catholic Church started here in St. Mary's, having passed from the sons of St. Ignatius to the sons of Archbishop Lefebvre, has developed the most extensive apostolate of all the priories in the SSPX, with over 4,000 parishioners, close to 900 academy students, and over 70 college students. So many who work closely with us here at St. Mary's tell me how proud they are to be a part of it. I appeal to you for prayers and generosity to help this very successful apostolate in the heartland of America, and I thank you in advance for answering the call to be a collaborator in this very fruitful work.
I heard from one of the people working on campus that last year a Jesuit priest came by to visit the place, as he was once a seminarian here, and he told the employee that the SSPX had really done a great job improving the grounds and facilities, as he remembered the place being "a real dump".
Some good news from time to time doesn't hurt.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

PerEvangelicaDicta

Oh my goodness, this is inspiring! 

MW, you mention the 'last edition'?  Once again, pardon my ignorance.... :-[
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Michael Wilson

Yes, the parish puts out a monthly bulletin, and this was the August one.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lynne

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 09, 2018, 07:12:56 PM

He meant last as in latest (I believe), not last as in final.  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Miriam_M

Quote from: Lynne on August 10, 2018, 02:35:40 AM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 09, 2018, 07:12:56 PM

He meant last as in latest (I believe), not last as in final.  :)

I was also confused.  Thanks for clarifying.

Gardener

Seems Michael is speaking in a sort of Southern colloquial manner, as I understood him. But I see where the confusion could arise. Too close to His Holiness Pope Michael, perhaps? His momma's cookin' waftin' on the breeze and causing Bawdenism in St. Mary's?

Let your last be last and your latest be latest, I guess.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Elizabeth

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 09, 2018, 07:00:31 PM

... work that has been done to restore, maintain and improve on the old Jesuit Seminary campus...

Understatement of the year.  I had absolutely NO IDEA how beautiful is the handiwork of the Brothers or whomever has "improved" the campus.  Nobody ever talks about how gorgeous the Chapel is; I expected something far less impressive. 

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 09, 2018, 07:00:31 PM
We just received the last [read: "Latest"] edition of the St. Mary's Assumption Chapel (SSPX) bulletin and in this issue which details all the work that has been done to restore, maintain and improve on the old Jesuit Seminary campus, Fr. Rutledge states that:
QuoteThe work that the Catholic Church started here in St. Mary's, having passed from the sons of St. Ignatius to the sons of Archbishop Lefebvre, has developed the most extensive apostolate of all the priories in the SSPX, with over 4,000 parishioners, close to 900 academy students, and over 70 college students. So many who work closely with us here at St. Mary's tell me how proud they are to be a part of it. I appeal to you for prayers and generosity to help this very successful apostolate in the heartland of America, and I thank you in advance for answering the call to be a collaborator in this very fruitful work.
I heard from one of the people working on campus that last year a Jesuit priest came by to visit the place, as he was once a seminarian here, and he told the employee that the SSPX had really done a great job improving the grounds and facilities, as he remembered the place being "a real dump".
Some good news from time to time doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the good news. And you're right that it certainly "doesn't hurt" to hear some.

This kind of story, however, reminds that you could find those same numbers on literally every street corner of many major American cities just a few decades ago. And then it all collapsed overnight, like a new bridge where the inspector was bribed to look the other way during construction.

My parish where I grew up had 3 times that many students in Catholic school, and there were similar parishes located a mile in every direction. Now the parish is closed, as are nearly all the schools in the diocese, and when I attend the Latin Mass in various locations around the region, I've never yet encountered anyone I knew in grade school or high school.

I apologize for throwing cold water on your announcement, but whenever I hear bragging about numbers like that, alarm bells start to go off in my head.

Michael Wilson

Max,
I understand where you are coming from; it can all disappear in a wink of an eye. But people have to have hope that there are places that one can raise a family in a Catholic environment, and where they don't have to feel isolated and struggling against all those around them, to live good Catholic lives.

Heinrich

Quote from: Maximilian on August 10, 2018, 09:52:20 PM
This kind of story, however, reminds that you could find those same numbers on literally every street corner of many major American cities just a few decades ago. And then it all collapsed overnight, like a new bridge where the inspector was bribed to look the other way during construction.

My parish where I grew up had 3 times that many students in Catholic school, and there were similar parishes located a mile in every direction. Now the parish is closed, as are nearly all the schools in the diocese, and when I attend the Latin Mass in various locations around the region, I've never yet encountered anyone I knew in grade school or high school.

You grew up in Cincinnati, too?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

Quote from: Heinrich on August 11, 2018, 09:40:58 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on August 10, 2018, 09:52:20 PM

You grew up in Cincinnati, too?

Yes, that sounds like Cincinnati. And I lived in Cincinnati for several years. There's a great traditional Catholic community there.

In fact, that's where I became truly traditional. When we arrived in Cincinnati we were attending the Novus Ordo in Latin at Old St. Mary's with the very saintly Fr. Lauer, and then -- as "The Wanderer" would say -- we slid down the slippery slope to schism.

It was, however, another city where I grew up. That this could happen to so many cities demonstrates just how much has been lost. So many great cities that once were bustling hives of countless thousands of devout Catholics are now ruined shells. It's like a neutron bomb went off which killed all the souls but left the buildings standing -- now sold and converted into condos or breweries.

Which reminds me, by the way, that it's not just the Novus Ordo. The SSPX used to have a real Catholic church in the middle of Cincinnati, but when they moved out into the middle of Kentucky, they sold the church building to a brewery.

http://www.artifactbeer.com/

Laurentius

It seems like a lot of SSPX parishioners are leaving the smaller parishes and moving to the major traditionalist hubs. The SSPX parish in Walton, Kentucky is growing rapidly, with approximately 650 parishioners and 200 academy students.
Sed et si ambulavero in valle mortis non timebo malum quoniam tu mecum es virga tua et baculus tuus ipsa consolabuntur me. -Psalmi 23:4

Heinrich

Quote from: Laurentius on August 12, 2018, 05:10:17 PM
It seems like a lot of SSPX parishioners are leaving the smaller parishes and moving to the major traditionalist hubs. The SSPX parish in Walton, Kentucky is growing rapidly, with approximately 650 parishioners and 200 academy students.

This is 12 miles south of Downtown Cincy for those unsure of geocontext.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Padraig

[delete]

Gardener

Quote from: Padraig on August 16, 2018, 08:52:00 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on August 12, 2018, 08:08:04 PM
This is 12 miles south of Downtown Cincy for those unsure of geocontext.
According to Google, it's more like 25 miles.

Heinrich was using Out West Miles, where we drive for an hour and a half "for a quick trip to Denver".

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe