I've always been Catholic, but it has kept me from going insane

Started by Insanis, May 14, 2021, 11:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 07, 2021, 10:03:34 PM
I haven't posted for a while, and then not as much as some others do.  But the criticisms you are making of  "our"  forum (SD is the only one I have really posted on since FE and CA days, long past) ring sadly true. 

Since I've only read this thread lately maybe I can't fairly judge these things.   But I am afraid you may be right.

I'm the newest active account still I think (a new account did post a singular Youtube video link, but that is it). But these things I witnessed are shocking to me, and not like any Catholic forum experience I have ever had. I was on this forum in its beginning and while I understand that people come and go, especially after 8 years, there seems to be a far more grave issue rather than just a change in demographics and interests.

When I joined, I did a review of the forum, found the activity low, but still active, and I didn't find any errors, and I decided I just wanted Catholic discussions and fellowship, and I wouldn't get involved in Sede* or Vatican II debates. I have views on those things, but I don't want to debate or defend them, so I ignore them for the most part.

I thought I'd be in the clear of any controversial views.

Insanis

Quote from: Matthew 10:16
Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves.

Insanis

1024 is a good round number and a good place to wait.

I will wait for responses and see how it goes on way or another.

If you are interested in rosaries, send me a message.

I've always been Catholic and with the grace of God, I always will be.

Insanis

The last week of my forum activity was far more fruitful and interesting and I've resumed posting with a new view on how to use the public forum.

Insanis

Quote from: Corinthians 5Know you not that a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump? Purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened. For Christ our pasch is sacrificed. Therefore let us feast, not with the old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. I wrote to you in an epistle, not to keep company with fornicators. I mean not with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or the extortioners, or the servers of idols; otherwise you must needs go out of this world.

But now I have written to you, not to keep company, if any man that is named a brother, be a fornicator, or covetous, or a server of idols, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner: with such a one, not so much as to eat.  For what have I to do to judge them that are without? Do not you judge them that are within? For them that are without, God will judge. Put away the evil one from among yourselves.

Insanis

I don't think people realize that accusing me of lying is a grave accusation and can have a real impact if believed by others on this forum, where my words are all I have to express myself.

An accusation of sin concerning the moderation of the lower appetites is lesser than one of a sin against Justice.

That is what a lie is.

I'd rather be falsely accused of gluttony, lust, curiosity, or drunkenness spuriously than to be falsely accused of lying.

I don't think people understand this. The integrity of the body is one thing to defend, but this is a matter of the soul.

Insanis

I will not be publicly posting for a bit, as I do some reading and work on some projects I've been putting off.

I'll be active in chat and in private messages if anybody wants to contact me before I again resume posting on the public forum. Maybe this will give all those people time to reflect on their activities and see what the forum is really like in the meantime.

Quote from: Ecclesiasticus 27:31
Mockery and reproach are of the proud, and vengeance as a lion shall lie in wait for him.

clau clau

I expect you will be back.  It's full-moon on 24th June.  [/s]

hasta la vista

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Insanis

It has been a day, and I have concluded that my posts here were not suitable for this forum. They were the sort of posts fitting for a Catholic forum as I have used in the past, but this forum has a very, very different dynamic from any active Catholic forum or indeed, any forum I have ever used. I am not saying this forum is fails to meet any expectations of a Catholic forum, but that it fails to meet any reasonable expectations of a forum.

I have compared this forum in the past to the ruins of a great civilization where the current natives are unable or unwilling to maintain the structures they inhabit, but they live among them in the shadow of the past.

I was treating it as the forum as a slower version of what it once was, and found some very unusual things. What this forum tolerates and what this forum finds intolerable are quite unexpected.

I have found two other uses for this forum which will be good I think, and I am going to try that for now, but I am no longer going to post threads and discussions as I have been doing.

Jayne

Quote from: Insanis on June 22, 2021, 09:17:34 PM
I have found two other uses for this forum which will be good I think, and I am going to try that for now, but I am no longer going to post threads and discussions as I have been doing.

I am pleased that you have not left completely.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on June 23, 2021, 09:34:10 AM

I am pleased that you have not left completely.

The forum is extremely slow and it is giving me more time than I thought to read while using the forum. I've also been working on some projects, one of which is in the final stage of the first stage.

I have a feeling any thread I see now in most subforums will be prominently displayed for quite some time, even if nobody posts on them, so I'm bumping this to make the front page look cleaner.

Melkor

It has been a day, and I have concluded that my posts here were not suitable for this forum. They were the sort of posts fitting for a Catholic forum as I have used in the past, but this forum has a very, very different dynamic from any active Catholic forum or indeed, any forum I have ever used. I am not saying this forum is fails to meet any expectations of a Catholic forum, but that it fails to meet any reasonable expectations of a forum.

I have compared this forum in the past to the ruins of a great civilization where the current natives are unable or unwilling to maintain the structures they inhabit, but they live among them in the shadow of the past.

I was treating it as the forum as a slower version of what it once was, and found some very unusual things. What this forum tolerates and what this forum finds intolerable are quite unexpected.

Selling Rosaries and finding AoE players, I hope :D ;D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 25, 2021, 05:09:17 PM
Selling Rosaries and finding AoE players, I hope :D ;D

I don't exactly sell rosaries: I lose money on them overall. I did finish all the ones I could make now, and I'm waiting for the crucifixes to come in to finish a few.

But, it was the creation of a new website, cleaning up administrative tasks (papers, filing, medical bills and records, etc), and doing some sorting and organization. The new website is about to go live. Everything is done except to wait for the hosting to be ready to go. I made the first version of the website already and it is uploaded, but the host isn't live yet. I developed the website first locally, and then bought the domain, and then finally, secured hosting. So I am waiting for the host to kick in. It should be any time now.

Insanis

The site is live and apparently working. I had security certificate / DNS issues at first, but such are things when things are fresh. Things take awhile to propagate.

It is on my profile. Feedback on the technical aspect is appreciated.

Corrections of errors or usability issues is also appreciated, but the site isn't finished yet and my vision for it is not completely finalized. I just want to get the technical stuff working and have something live.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Insanis on June 25, 2021, 05:38:06 PM
I did start the AoE training after installing it. Tomorrow, I should find myself a microphone, and continue the training (or, if it is possible to things co-op or something to learn. maybe I could do that).

Besides the training section, probably the best method would be to play against an easier AI so you have something resembling an opponent, but still having to practice the methods taught in the training missions.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"