I've always been Catholic, but it has kept me from going insane

Started by Insanis, May 14, 2021, 11:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemac

Quote from: Insanis on May 23, 2021, 03:11:27 AM

Thank you. I know their views are highly specific to them and are not Catholic, but their apparent free reign makes it appear it is accepted.

But, it turns out it was just a moderator who was very busy who will deal with it in.

(Received a "private revelation" if you will.)

Yep, me too.  :)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Insanis

Quote from: Insanis on May 23, 2021, 03:11:27 AM
Thank you. I know their views are highly specific to them and are not Catholic, but their apparent free reign makes it appear it is accepted.

Sometimes appearances are deceiving, and sometimes not. It is hard to tell.

Jayne

You have many qualities that I appreciate in a fellow member here. I especially like how your Catholic faith is so foundational to your personality.  And I like how intense and passionate you are about important issues.  This might not always make you the easiest person to get along with, but I appreciate it. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on May 26, 2021, 11:16:21 AM
You have many qualities that I appreciate in a fellow member here. I especially like how your Catholic faith is so foundational to your personality.  And I like how intense and passionate you are about important issues.

Thank you.

QuoteThis might not always make you the easiest person to get along with, but I appreciate it.

I am easy to get along with as long as people aren't looking for mere emotional validation or a political ally when discussing important matters. That is a problem I see: people treating everything as a social club.

I see the Church, the faith itself, being treated like some human club, a philosophical school, a technical debate, and forgetting that faith is a virtue from God, not something we create. The crisis, if there is one, is in us, but only if we let it exist.

If one's faith relies on debates, theological study, and finding the right "fit" in a human group, then one has no faith.

In my life, I've seen great Catholics leave the Church entirely because they were looking to man instead of God. They sought the right answer to a debate, the right humans to associate with, and the right feelings they expected to have, and ultimately found nothing.

Insanis

In terms of all my forum use, this forum is very strange. It's culture tolerates many things most other forums would instantly ban.

One would think a Catholic forum would hold a higher standard, but I've been on self-moderated groups that are larger have had better hospitality and decorum collectively than this forum, if only for the sake of professional courtesy.

I don't know how everybody tolerates it.

It is nicer on reddit: one just has to not bring up the topics that you know they all hate, and one can converse about the topics at hand without much trouble, even with strong personal opinions.

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on June 02, 2021, 01:23:28 PM
In terms of all my forum use, this forum is very strange. It's culture tolerates many things most other forums would instantly ban.

One would think a Catholic forum would hold a higher standard, but I've been on self-moderated groups that are larger have had better hospitality and decorum collectively than this forum, if only for the sake of professional courtesy.

I don't know how everybody tolerates it.

It is nicer on reddit: one just has to not bring up the topics that you know they all hate, and one can converse about the topics at hand without much trouble, even with strong personal opinions.

Huh? Reddit is super toxic, and usually people have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 02, 2021, 05:07:56 PM
Quote from: Insanis on June 02, 2021, 01:23:28 PM

Huh? Reddit is super toxic, and usually people have absolutely no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Yes, I know.

Melkor

Well, if it is so terrible over here, and so hard to tolerate, simply leave. If it is causing you stress it is probably not best to stay around. Not being condescending, just trying to help. :)

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 02, 2021, 05:13:58 PM
Well, if it is so terrible over here, and so hard to tolerate, simply leave. If it is causing you stress it is probably not best to stay around. Not being condescending, just trying to help. :)

I said it was strange, not intolerable or stressful.

The forum is small (in terms of activity and active posters at any one time), so the interactions are often more personal, and a lot of them are pleasant.

Although, I wish all the nice people who send me PMs would be active, but apparently, a lot of them gave up on public activity after dealing with the same sort of issues.

(Note: if anyone reading this recently sent me a PM, this is not about you...I've received a surprising number of personal messages from people who didn't have any recent forum activity or who were otherwise very inactive on the forum in public ever since my first week here.)

So my overall view of the forum is that it is full of great people, the majority of whom don't bother to post in public because of these issues.

I mean, there hasn't been any problems in chat. I have only had good personal message exchanges. There is a lot of people willing to deal with the forum in public to make it useful sometimes (I bought books specifically based on recent book recommendations on it). And there are a lot of old faces (avatars? whatever) that I have had previous interactions with, almost all of it positive (apparently, all the people who were hostile to me from back then are all gone for some reason).

There are a lot of people who are no longer around too, but it is nice to go back and read the old posts from the times they were active.

Insanis

I came to this forum for Catholic discussion and fellowship, and what I found was some nice people, but the forum was full of unusual and novel blasphemies, and the people were fine with being incredibly vulgar and rude.

I wish people focused on using the forum, instead of making commentary on others who try to use it for no real purpose (what errors do they see that inspires such attention?). It results in a discussion about a poster who then has to respond to the critics. It can end up being circular when they start responding to the response to the critics of the poster's forum activity.

Insanis

I found out what happened to this forum.

Insanis

Things I never expected to find contested on a Catholic forum by (apparently) Catholics:

• Acceptance of approved titles of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Acceptance of other Catholics accepting approved private revelations (without being accused of idolatry)
  • Acceptance of approved devotions and works from a highly renown saint, Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort
  • Acceptance and appreciation of the apparently basic Moral Theology as presented by Saint Thomas Aquinas, and confirmed through the ages by Popes, and being held in the highest regard in the Catholic Church

This is not to mention the constant pushback from people who just don't like how I post or assume things about me that simply don't matter and aren't true.

There is a heavy atmosphere of disorder and discord here, which seems to defy all previous forum experience. I am not any different, and I expected the normal things that happened, but it has never been like this. I used to post far more, far more frequently, and far more strongly about many topics on this very forum and others, for tens of thousands of posts, and the worst I got was the occasional dispute with a feminist or someone who had some other minor issue which never became a problem at all and is to be expected on any social forum.

But here, now, it is totally different. It is like an oppressed, infested, household.

There are many hidden who are not in the public, and I've talked to many in messages, but the public forum is a spiritual mess. It is not a social problem. It is a spiritual problem.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Insanis on June 07, 2021, 09:08:20 PM
Things I never expected to find contested on a Catholic forum by (apparently) Catholics:

• Acceptance of approved titles of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Acceptance of other Catholics accepting approved private revelations (without being accused of idolatry)
  • Acceptance of approved devotions and works from a highly renown saint, Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort
  • Acceptance and appreciation of the apparently basic Moral Theology as presented by Saint Thomas Aquinas, and confirmed through the ages by Popes, and being held in the highest regard in the Catholic Church

This is not to mention the constant pushback from people who just don't like how I post or assume things about me that simply don't matter and aren't true.

There is a heavy atmosphere of disorder and discord here, which seems to defy all previous forum experience. I am not any different, and I expected the normal things that happened, but it has never been like this. I used to post far more, far more frequently, and far more strongly about many topics on this very forum and others, for tens of thousands of posts, and the worst I got was the occasional dispute with a feminist or someone who had some other minor issue which never became a problem at all and is to be expected on any social forum.

But here, now, it is totally different. It is like an oppressed, infested, household.

There are many hidden who are not in the public, and I've talked to many in messages, but the public forum is a spiritual mess. It is not a social problem. It is a spiritual problem.

I haven't posted for a while, and then not as much as some others do.  But the criticisms you are making of  "our"  forum (SD is the only one I have really posted on since FE and CA days, long past) ring sadly true. 

Since I've only read this thread lately maybe I can't fairly judge these things.   But I am afraid you may be right.

:pray2:

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

mikemac

I would like to see the hidden members start posting again.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Xavier

SD just recently crossed 2000 members. Quite a large Catholic Community we have here now. Hope we can all get along nicely. :)
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)