Scientists claims to date human footprints to 23,000 years ago

Started by GiftOfGod, September 23, 2021, 04:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Prayerful

Pius XII said warily that a Divinely guided evolution can be considered not incompatible, and implied in this is a greater stretch of time. It therefore can be compatible.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Aulef

Dating methods are not an exact science. In this case mentioned in the link, carbondating was used.

There are lots of recorded mistakes using this method because it is applied incorrectly for many reasons: poor calibration, unaccount of climate and atmospherical change, carbon decay variation (which is not always constant), and others.

Besides, I believe it is highly unlikely to find footprints older than 6k-7k years ago, based on Sacre history time count. Note this last statement is opinion rather than certitude in terms of Saint Thomas Aquinas.
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: GiftOfGod on September 23, 2021, 04:44:13 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10018883/Footprints-New-Mexico-23-000-years-ago-earliest-evidence-human-activity-New-World.html

Is this compatible with traditional Catholicism? What are we to believe?

Radiocarbon dating is imprecise, to be charitable, and you can only date the remains of something that used to be alive (either a plant or something that eats plants).  Carbon dating a sediment or a fossil (a bone whose matter has been replaced by rock) is asinine.  https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/31/us/errors-are-feared-in-carbon-dating.html

And it's not clear that the footprints were left by humans.

If you want to have the Catholic evolution talk, that's fine, but this article by itself shouldn't shake anyone's faith.
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on September 24, 2021, 07:57:24 AM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on September 23, 2021, 04:44:13 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10018883/Footprints-New-Mexico-23-000-years-ago-earliest-evidence-human-activity-New-World.html

Is this compatible with traditional Catholicism? What are we to believe?

Radiocarbon dating is imprecise, to be charitable, and you can only date the remains of something that used to be alive (either a plant or something that eats plants).  Carbon dating a sediment or a fossil (a bone whose matter has been replaced by rock) is asinine.  https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/31/us/errors-are-feared-in-carbon-dating.html

And it's not clear that the footprints were left by humans.

If you want to have the Catholic evolution talk, that's fine, but this article by itself shouldn't shake anyone's faith.

I want to have the Catholic evolution talk
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 24, 2021, 11:16:30 AM
I want to have the Catholic evolution talk

Be my guest.

Belief in evolution isn't prohibited by any official teaching of the Church.

But many trads argue that entropy and logic prevent a less perfect being evolving into a more perfect being.  No amount of natural selection can imbue a monkey with a rational soul.

The scientific evidence is also much weaker than how it is portrayed in most academic settings.
this page left intentionally blank

james03

Evolution, as presented, is not possible.  Origin of Life is definitely not possible.  In summary, you have the Information Problem.  A good book is Signature in the Cell by Stephen Myer.  If you are too lazy to read it, he has many talks on Youtube, and even debates.

Someone on here coined the term "successive creationism" as an alternative, where God intervened along the way to supply the necessary information that was needed.  I wish I could take credit for it, but alas, I have to be honest.  If you want to believe in old humans, the "successive creationism" theory is a way to get around the Information Problem.  But evolution as a way to produce the Cambrian explosion?  Absurd.  And it gets far worse when you look at Origins.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"