Everyday headcovering?

Started by Sarah, November 12, 2019, 06:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on November 14, 2019, 07:56:50 AM
In "The Quiet Man," Maureen O'Hara just pulls her shawl over her head when she wants to go into the church.

I did the same thing in Rome, with one of those pashmina shawls. With churches around every corner a veil was impractical.
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on November 14, 2019, 11:25:51 AM
In "The Quiet Man," Maureen O'Hara just pulls her shawl over her head when she wants to go into the church.

I did the same thing in Rome, with one of those pashmina shawls. With churches around every corner a veil was impractical.

While I was looking for the photos of Irish women wearing shawls that I posted above, I ran across a web page about Irish Fashions that said pashminas were all the rage for a while in Ireland.

A few years ago at Christmas I went on-line and bought a couple dozen pashminas for all the women in the family. Several of them, at least, are still being worn each Sunday.

What I like about pashmina shawls and similar items is that it makes covering your head seem like a natural part of every day life, rather than a circular doily-type chapel veil that you pop on your head as your genuflect in the aisle.

Vetus Ordo

Female headcoverings was a venerable tradition that Islam has zealously kept and that we, sadly, have altogether abandoned.

And, no, hats don't count.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Maximilian

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 14, 2019, 01:28:18 PM

Female headcoverings was a venerable tradition that Islam has zealously kept and that we, sadly, have altogether abandoned.

Yes, sad indeed. And it is doubly ironic when Christians act like Muslims are crazy weirdos simply for continuing to do what Christians always had done.

Yes, of course hats counts. They cover the head.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Maximilian on November 14, 2019, 02:47:18 PM

Yes, of course hats counts. They cover the head.

Hats don't cover the whole hair which is the main point of veiling. It's a modesty issue.

It's one thing to veil oneself, quite another thing to put a hat on.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 14, 2019, 07:03:01 PM
Hats don't cover the whole hair which is the main point of veiling. It's a modesty issue.

Had this discussion with an Amish neighbor once when I was wearing a headcovering all the time.  He was trying to tell me that since some of my hair still showed, it was not legit.  Have to laugh now because I began to see my neighbors wives and daughters hair showing all over the place after I began to look for it  :)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Maximilian

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on November 14, 2019, 09:53:06 PM

Had this discussion with an Amish neighbor once when I was wearing a headcovering all the time.  He was trying to tell me that since some of my hair still showed, it was not legit.  Have to laugh now because I began to see my neighbors wives and daughters hair showing all over the place after I began to look for it  :)

The Mennonite women near me wear headcoverings, but they're those little white bonnets that barely cover any hair at all.

One time I was shopping in Walmart at the same time as a large Amish family. The teenage girl had the smallest headcovering her parents let her get away with. I thought it was hilarious, "I'm wearing a long black dress, but this little headcovering shows that I'm really a rebel at heart." I wonder if girls at Amish schools roll up their skirts so you can see their ankles? Reminiscent of some teenage girls at the Latin Mass.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Maximilian on November 15, 2019, 10:53:38 AM
Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on November 14, 2019, 09:53:06 PM

The Mennonite women near me wear headcoverings, but they're those little white bonnets that barely cover any hair at all.

One time I was shopping in Walmart at the same time as a large Amish family. The teenage girl had the smallest headcovering her parents let her get away with. I thought it was hilarious, "I'm wearing a long black dress, but this little headcovering shows that I'm really a rebel at heart." I wonder if girls at Amish schools roll up their skirts so you can see their ankles? Reminiscent of some teenage girls at the Latin Mass.
It is hard for the Amish around me to rebel via dress.  The community I live within is very regimented in that way.  The way their teens rebel is by vaping, drinking, getting a cell phone...and I dont want to know what else  :(
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Hugues de Payns

Are the above headgears simple ?
About the heresy of Christianity of heretics (protestantism and orthodoxy) is here (the correct, enclosed message can be downloaded at the bottom) https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=22978.0

Kaesekopf

Man, why you gotta knock hats.  :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Maximilian on November 14, 2019, 11:44:22 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on November 14, 2019, 11:25:51 AM

While I was looking for the photos of Irish women wearing shawls that I posted above, I ran across a web page about Irish Fashions that said pashminas were all the rage for a while in Ireland.

A few years ago at Christmas I went on-line and bought a couple dozen pashminas for all the women in the family. Several of them, at least, are still being worn each Sunday.

What I like about pashmina shawls and similar items is that it makes covering your head seem like a natural part of every day life, rather than a circular doily-type chapel veil that you pop on your head as your genuflect in the aisle.

:lol: at the very apt and accurate descriptor of how women treat veils. 

I, for one, strongly like veils, preferring instead hats or shawls. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hugues de Payns

Quote from: Hugues de Payns on February 15, 2020, 01:44:45 AM

Are the above headgears simple ?

The above headgears are not simple.

Are the above headgears modest ?
About the heresy of Christianity of heretics (protestantism and orthodoxy) is here (the correct, enclosed message can be downloaded at the bottom) https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=22978.0

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Hugues de Payns on February 16, 2020, 10:15:21 AM

Are the above headgears modest?

No, they're scandalous.

They reveal the same Evic traits that cursed the whole human race in the Garden.

Hugues de Payns

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 16, 2020, 05:22:27 PM

No, they're scandalous.

They reveal the same Evic traits that cursed the whole human race in the Garden.

Does it mean that if the clothing is not simple it is not modest too ?

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Hugues de Payns on February 17, 2020, 04:18:28 AM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on February 16, 2020, 05:22:27 PM

No, they're scandalous.

Does it mean that if the clothing is not simple it is not modest too ?

Oh sure Hugu, just completely ignore my post in the other thread and come here to beat your dead horse....over it.  :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: