How to Make a Potential Spiritual Journey?

Started by sofiyawilliams, May 09, 2024, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofiyawilliams

Hello everyone,

In this digital and fast-running world, I am thinking of this question. How do you nurture and cultivate your relationship with God on a daily basis?

I do worship, but sometimes I forget because of my busy schedule. That's why I want to ask here for an available person. How you do it and how you maintain your consistency regarding God.

If anyone can provide some resources and share their experience for my better spituality, I greatly appreciate your support.

Thanks in advance

clau clau

I would say:

1. Morning Prayer.
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world.

Somebody once gave me this good advice. If you say the morning prayer then you have offered up all your prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day so even if you have a really awful day it did some good.

2. Daily Rosary - self evident.

3. Evening Prayer - I like the Night Hymn to Our Lady

Finally, I think Jesus likes you to talk to him about your day. A kind of "Psalms for little people like me". I think people forget that Jesus is a person even though you cannot see him. He does not necessarily talk back (he never has to me) but I'm convinced he puts thoughts in one's head.

Just my 2 cents ...
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Hannelore

The morning offering is so powerful and consoling.
My Lord and my God.

KreKre

Pray one chaplet (1/3) of the Rosary, every day, no exception. It takes about half an hour. If you can't spare half an hour a day, rethink your life, something must be terribly wrong with your priorities.

Here is an excellent guide how to pray the Rosary, if you don't know it: https://chanttherosary.com/lesson-i-beads/
It is in seven lessons, but you can ignore the last lesson, unless you intend to chant it. Most people just recite it, and for that the first six lessons are sufficient. You can recite it in your mother tongue, it does not have to be in Latin (though the Rosary is very beautiful in Latin).

Pray kneeling, and do not let anything disturb you while you do it. Meditate on the holy mysteries while you recite the Hail Marys and try not to let your thoughts wander. Do it at the approximately at the same time every day, so that it becomes a habit. Promise yourself not to go sleep unless you've done it.

At first it may seem like a chore, but be persistent. It will quickly become a habit and such a great source of joy that you will look forward all day to that beautiful half an hour that you spend in the company of the Blessed Virgin.
Christus vincit! Christus regnat! Christus imperat!

LausTibiChriste

If you have a busy schedule then you need to prioritize Him into that schedule.

Wake up at 7? Good, now wake up at 6 and give Him an hour. It's only an hour, you'll be fine. And that will multiply any good you do throughout the day.

Personally, I find that if I give it my all in the morning, that dedication carries on through the day. If I say I'll pray at night, no matter how honest I am about it, I usually slack.

If you have a busy schedule, set alarms and fix times where you're praying, regardless of what comes up (within reason...if the baby is choking it's not a good time for Vespers lol).

Set yourself a prayer rule (if you have a spiritual director, have him do it). Stick to it.

Also keep in mind small acts said piously are worth a million times more than many acts said half-heartedly.

If you're busy because of your state in life (wife/mother etc) THAT is your prayer...just give a quick "this is for you Lord" and it will speak volumes.

If you truly are incredibly busy (most people aren't that busy they just think they are) then get in the habit of saying the Jesus Prayer.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

Michael Wilson

Very good advice above.
You could try to get to Confession once every two weeks (unless you tend to be scrupulous); and a nightly examination of conscience. This will help you keep a custody of your thoughts, words and actions during the day.
A yearly spiritual retreat is also very good, as it helps one to "re-charge" one's spiritual batteries.
Personally I found this book on mental prayer very helpful for my spiritual life:
"Conversation with Christ, The Teachings of St.Teresa of Avila on Personal Prayer" Rev. Peter T. Rhorbach 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Wenceslav

My scan of Fr. Rohrbach's book (mentioned by Michael):

URL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nz0GjitAugV6s4XD_hFC-53amWDOFyBd/view?usp=drivesdk

This is a very good book, well written for the novice to mental prayer. Helps one immensely!

diaduit

I use the basics.

Morning before I go downstairs - morning offering and some regular prayers

Noon and 6pm - Angelus

Rosary at night

car journey - a chaplet usually St Michaels

Hear of a death or sickness - Guardian angel prayer or a Hail Mary

Everyday at some point I have a prayer on my back door, I bless the house in a cross - North, South, East and West, I will type it out when I get a minute, basically Our Lady is in charge of the house and someday when hubby converts, as head of the household he will do it but for now She is stuck with me  :)

Reading for 15 minutes if I get to which isn't always actually more infrequent than frequent.

Night prayers and I still haven't managed to do an examination of conscience as part of this routine. - pray that I do.

My most favourite is just catching a beautiful sky or the heat of the sun and thinking of God - it usually is fleeting  or reminding myself that HE owns me and I am HIS.

Some of these are done on the run with family obligations, I don't really retreat into a room or anything like that, I could be walking into a shopping centre and see the beautiful sky or the ugly chemtrail one and think of God and of course then the distractions start !!

Edit to add, online sermons while cooking or if I have the kitchen to myself are very beneficial.

sofiyawilliams

Quote from: Wenceslav on May 09, 2024, 09:19:55 PMMy scan of Fr. Rohrbach's book (mentioned by Michael):

URL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nz0GjitAugV6s4XD_hFC-53amWDOFyBd/view?usp=drivesdk

This is a very good book, well written for the novice to mental prayer. Helps one immensely!

I will read this book. Thanks for sharing this resource.

Michael Wilson

There is another book that is very good: Dom Chautard: "The Soul of the Apostolate"; although written mainly for priests, it has much useful advice applicable to all of us; mainly, the soul of all religious activity is the prayer life, especially mental prayer. It isn't a "how to" on mental prayer, but rather emphasizes the primary importance of mental prayer for anyone in the apostolic life. For us laymen, it would be: the importance of mental prayer to sanctify our daily duties.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

I have taken an old cell phone that is no longer in use and repurposed it to be just an alarm clock. Then I set it to ring at the times of the Angelus.
6:00 AM
12:00 Noon
6:00 PM

Originally it was set for only Noon and 6:00 PM, but the morning Angelus at 6:00 AM was added according to the suggestion of Fr. Ripperger to pray the 6:00 AM Angelus for the elimination of demonic influence.

Previously I just had some nice music as a ring tone, but recently I downloaded free ring tones of church bells and used those as the alarm sounds so that it's more like the authentic Angelus bells.

Without this alarm going off 3 times a day, I am 100% certain that I would rarely remember to pray the Angelus.

Michael Wilson

On spiritual retreats: I know that the SSPX promotes the five day Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius; these are excellent, but they tend to be "too strong" for many women, as the "first week" meditations on sin, Hell, and the particular judgement, can cause the scruples for those who have a tendency towards these.
A "Marian" retreat or one for a married person i.e. One who is not choosing a state in life would probably be better. 

Bonaventure

They can even be "too strong" for many men.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Maximilian on May 10, 2024, 08:36:27 AMI have taken an old cell phone that is no longer in use and repurposed it to be just an alarm clock. Then I set it to ring at the times of the Angelus.

Originally it was set for only Noon and 6:00 PM, but the morning Angelus at 6:00 AM was added according to the suggestion of Fr. Ripperger to pray the 6:00 AM Angelus for the elimination of demonic influence.

Previously I just had some nice music as a ring tone, but recently I downloaded free ring tones of church bells and used those as the alarm sounds so that it's more like the authentic Angelus bells.

Without this alarm going off 3 times a day, I am 100% certain that I would rarely remember to pray the Angelus.

Exactly what I do, including because Fr Ripperger said so lol.

I also included Lauds at 6am and Vespers at 6pm, and the Auxilium Christianorum prayers (6, 12, 6) as per his suggestion. Works wonders.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

diaduit

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 10, 2024, 10:20:24 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on May 10, 2024, 08:36:27 AMI have taken an old cell phone that is no longer in use and repurposed it to be just an alarm clock. Then I set it to ring at the times of the Angelus.

Exactly what I do, including because Fr Ripperger said so lol.

I also included Lauds at 6am and Vespers at 6pm, and the Auxilium Christianorum prayers (6, 12, 6) as per his suggestion. Works wonders.

Should it really be the head of the house who dose the Auxilium Christianorum prayers, I have the book?  I remember Fr R saying before that devils are rigorist when it comes to order and if you mess with order you can make things worse for yourself.