What should I read to become real non-modernist catholic

Started by JeanVianney, October 07, 2019, 04:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanVianney

Laudetur Jesus Christus
I am former heretic(Lutheran) now preparing for the traditional baptism.
I travel to hear the tridentine mass aproximatelly 100 km every sunday.
What books should I read to remove from me both protestantant and modernist heresies ?
I have a profound knowledge of latin too. You can advice me german latin english hungarian italian books

Domine non sum dignus
Christus vincit Christus regnat Christus imperat
Salus animarum suprema lex
Professio fidei tridentina
Sacrorum Antistitum

coffeeandcigarette

Sermons of St. Alphonsus.
True friends of the Cross By De Montfort
Divine Intimacy
Imitation of Christ

More historical/social, but a fab book for a Protestant convert is:
The Protestant Reformation in England and Ireland by WC
  It is coming from an informed Anglican perspective, but it is excellent talking about why the takeover was so swift and strategic. Outlines the unparalleled social good of the church, etc.

Now because it is 2019...LOL. I am going to recommend any sermon on youtube by Fr. Issac Mary Relyea, you CANNOT go wrong listening to him. He has such a deep love for souls, and will help you become very holy.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the Church!
The below is a good start; other posters will probably add to this list.

The Catechism of the Council of Trent, is a good start.
Reading of the Pre-Vatican II, Pre-John XXIII Papal Encyclicals is also highly recomended. Especially Gregory XVI Mirari Vos; Pius IX Syllabus of Errors; Quanta Cura; Leo XIII: Immortale Dei; Libertas Praetantisimum; St. Pius X: Syllabus of Modernist Errors; Pascendi; Vehementer Nos; Pius XI: Mortalium Animus (against ecumenism); Pius XII: Humani Generis; Mistici Corporis.
Msgr. Lefebvre: They Have Uncrowned Him.
Fr. Dennis Fahey CSSP. The Mystical Body of Christ and the Reorganization of Society.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

clau clau

"The Last Battle" by C.S.Lewis

It is a great Allegory for Modernism.

From The Last Battle, by C.S. Lewis (Book 7 in The Chronicles of Narnia):

"Please, please," said the high voice of a wooly lamb, who was so young that everyone was surprised he dared to speak at all.

"What is it now? said the Ape, "Be quick."

"Please," said the Lamb. "I can't understand. What have we to do with the Calormenes? We belong to Aslan. They belong to Tash. They have a god called Tash. They say he has four arms and the head of a vulture. They kill Men on his altar. I don't believe there's any such person as Tash. But if there was, how could Aslan be friends with him?"

All the animals cocked their heads sideways and all their bright eyes flashed toward the Ape. They knew it was the best question anyone had asked yet.

The Ape jumped up and spat at the Lamb.

"Baby!" he hissed. "Silly little bleater! Go home to your mother and drink milk. What do you understand of such things? But you others listen. Tash is only another name for Aslan. All that old idea of us being right and the Calormenes wrong is silly. We know better now. The Calormenes use different words but we all mean the same thing. Tash and Aslan are only two different names for you know Who. That's why there can never be any quarrel between them. Get that into your heads, you stupid brutes. Tash is Aslan: Aslan is Tash."

You know how sad your own dog's face can look sometimes. Think of that and then think of the faces of all those Talking Beasts--all those honest, humble, bewildered birds, bears, badgers, rabbits, moles, and mice--all far sadder than that. Every tail was down, every whisker drooped. It would have broken your heart to see their faces.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

St.Justin

Anything about your namesake "JeanVianney", The Cure of Ars as he is the Patron of Priest.

JeanVianney

Quote from: St.Justin on October 07, 2019, 08:56:01 AM
Anything about your namesake "JeanVianney", The Cure of Ars as he is the Patron of Priest.
It is bad or what is the problem with that ?
Here is my explanation for that
His sermons inspired me and changed my life. I would like him to be my baptismal saint, my confirmation saint will be St. Augustine, who inspired me too. There are plenty of saints, who are my favorits. But the first of them is Jean Vianney then Augustine If there is a God s will for my life. I would like to become a priest too. The last think I mean seriously. When I was adolescent in 2012 I thought seriously about that. But I have to pray a lot about that.
Domine non sum dignus
Sacrorum Antistitum

Sempronius

Quote from: JeanVianney on October 07, 2019, 10:13:45 AM
Quote from: St.Justin on October 07, 2019, 08:56:01 AM
It is bad or what is the problem with that ?
Here is my explanation for that
His sermons inspired me and changed my life. I would like him to be my baptismal saint, my confirmation saint will be St. Augustine, who inspired me too. There are plenty of saints, who are my favorits. But the first of them is Jean Vianney then Augustine If there is a God s will for my life. I would like to become a priest too. The last think I mean seriously. When I was adolescent in 2012 I thought seriously about that. But I have to pray a lot about that.

He means that anything St Jean Vianney has written is good.

Gerard

Read about all of the heresies in the history of the Church and then make sure you don't hold any of them. 

JeanVianney

Quote from: Gerard on October 07, 2019, 01:22:02 PM
Read about all of the heresies in the history of the Church and then make sure you don't hold any of them.
Do you think I should start with documents of council of Trent and Denzinger endichrion symbolorum OR Ligoury book on heresies ? Where are to be found documents of trent in LATIN for free on the internet?
I have downloaded almost 15 GB books, which was for free to download, but I do not know, by which I have to start.

Thanks for all of your suggestions
Domine non sum dignus
Sacrorum Antistitum

St.Justin

Quote from: JeanVianney on October 07, 2019, 01:51:16 PM
Do you think I should start with documents of council of Trent and Denzinger endichrion symbolorum OR Ligoury book on heresies ? Where are to be found documents of trent in LATIN for free on the internet?
I have downloaded almost 15 GB books, which was for free to download, but I do not know, by which I have to start.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/pius-x/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-x_enc_19070908_pascendi-dominici-gregis.html
https://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9syll.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103.htm

Since all heresies never die you could probably start with the bottom link as it will give you some foundation.

Michael Wilson

St. Alphonsus Liguori: The History of Heresies and their Refutation; Very good for getting a feel of the history of the Church and the doctrinal conflicts it has undergone.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

I really discourage these other recommendations. Forget about heresies.

Suggestions:

1. My Catholic Faith
    Best catechism.

2. "The Way" by Msgr. Escriva
    The quickest, easiest way to discover in 999 sentences what it means to be a true Catholic.

3. Mary Fabyan Windeatt saints series.
   Children's books that imbue you with the true spirit of the traditional Church.

Gerard

Quote from: JeanVianney on October 07, 2019, 01:51:16 PM

It depends on how heavy the reading is you want.  I remember when I first read St. Augustine, the translations were made into such run on sentences, that I had to cut and paste them into a word processing program and basically "proofread" them almost to point of diagraming the sentences in order to understand what I was reading. 

If you are looking for more of a primer type of thing to get an overview, I would recommend "This is the Faith" by Canon Ripley.  There is a good section at the end giving a paragraph or two on the major heresies. 
Or, I like to recommend the old stand-by of a Catholic Dictionary. 

Tales

When I reverted to the Faith I spent a long time researching refutations of atheism and heresies.  Now I see key is in living the Faith.

Max, those recommendations look great, I'll be getting them.

Edit:

To our new convert, welcome and praise be to God!

Miriam_M

Quote from: Maximilian on October 07, 2019, 06:15:01 PM

Suggestions:

1. My Catholic Faith
    Best catechism.

It's what our trad priests use for catechism.