My priest changes the words of absolution too.

Started by Deirdre, March 15, 2024, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deirdre

He always says "I absolve you of any and all sin," I have no idea why he feels it necessary to do this. Is this a problem? I don't go to him anymore, but wondering whether I should make a general Confession somewhere else.
My Lord and my God.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Bernadette on March 15, 2024, 10:13:44 AMHe always says "I absolve you of any and all sin," I have no idea why he feels it necessary to do this. Is this a problem? I don't go to him anymore, but wondering whether I should make a general Confession somewhere else.

This is almost certainly valid but unnecessary.

The standard form absolves all sins, not just those confessed, as long as the penitent didn't intentionally withhold a mortal one.
this page left intentionally blank

Baylee

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 15, 2024, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on March 15, 2024, 10:13:44 AMHe always says "I absolve you of any and all sin," I have no idea why he feels it necessary to do this. Is this a problem? I don't go to him anymore, but wondering whether I should make a general Confession somewhere else.

This is almost certainly valid but unnecessary.

The standard form absolves all sins, not just those confessed, as long as the penitent didn't intentionally withhold a mortal one.

Yes, this seems to be just an unnecessary clarification, but honestly, why can't these priests just say the form as instructed by the Church??? Is it really that difficult??

Bonaventure

You're fine.

Essential form meaning has not changed.

If a priest said "I absolve of you these, of all, of Every, of each, sin you have ever committed, in the name..." etc. the essential form's meaning does not change.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."