1963 Collegeville Breviary question, Vespers collect for Sept 18 2018

Started by grids7, September 18, 2018, 08:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grids7

I have a copy of the 1963 Collegeville 3 volume Divine Office, and have been working through various offices.  Then I compare how I did assembling the parts to an app "1962 Breviary" on Android.  Generally this method confirms that I more or less understand the "construction" of a given office's prayers.  However...

for Vespers today, Sept 18 2018, I cannot figure out where the Collect comes from.  The rubric reads, "And the proper collect is said."  I cannot seem to find it.  From Sunday Vespers of the 16th?

If anyone uses this breviary specifically and can help me determine where (section, page number) to find "the proper collect" for today, I would be most grateful.
2009 Silver American Eagle to remind me of my Blessings - "In God We Trust" (God's redemption through his Son), American (self explanatory), 2009 (birth year of my daughter), and silver (representing good education to obtain good employment).

Kaesekopf

Proper collect for the day of the week in September, if I recall correctly.

August and September have proper days, I think (?), and they're usually hidden somewhere in the Office.  Nearish, I think, the Sundays after Pentecost.

ETA: That, or you use the Sunday's prior collect.

I'm not an expert.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dnesmith01

I also have these breviaries and am trying to teach myself, but looking ahead to tomorrow I'm a little stumped. For the commemoration at Lauds, where does it come from? I see it on the Brev Meum app, and the rubrics say it's made of the feria, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to find them in the breviary. Any ideas?

grids7

Quote from: dnesmith01 on September 20, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
I also have these breviaries and am trying to teach myself, but looking ahead to tomorrow I'm a little stumped. For the commemoration at Lauds, where does it come from? I see it on the Brev Meum app, and the rubrics say it's made of the feria, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to find them in the breviary. Any ideas?

Here's my take on it.  Check "Ember Friday in September", in Proper of the Season, in the Lauds section (bottom page 1161).  The app I use on Android, "1962 Breviary", has the commemoration for Lauds tomorrow starting, "A woman in the city which was a sinner...", which matches closely to the section to which I offer above.
2009 Silver American Eagle to remind me of my Blessings - "In God We Trust" (God's redemption through his Son), American (self explanatory), 2009 (birth year of my daughter), and silver (representing good education to obtain good employment).

aquinas138

grids7, did you ever figure it out? Looking at Vespers on the 18th in the "62" books, Vespers should have been entirely of St. Joseph Cupertino: ferial psalms, proper collect from Proper of Saints, whatever else not in the Proper from the Common of Confessors not Bishops. The Embertide wouldn't start until Matins of the 19th.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

grids7

Thanks, aquinas, I did figure it out.  My incorrect assumption was that each hour had its own collect, and I couldn't find any collect in any related Vespers section for the 18th.  I have stumbled onto the apparent fact that there is a collect for each day, not each hour.  Or, something close to that.  I found the collect in the Lauds for St Joseph of Cupertino in the Proper of the Saints that day.

aquinas138

Quote from: grids7 on September 21, 2018, 07:22:49 PM
Thanks, aquinas, I did figure it out.  My incorrect assumption was that each hour had its own collect, and I couldn't find any collect in any related Vespers section for the 18th.  I have stumbled onto the apparent fact that there is a collect for each day, not each hour.  Or, something close to that.  I found the collect in the Lauds for St Joseph of Cupertino in the Proper of the Saints that day.

Good. Glad to see a breviary post!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.