Hello, Medievalist Catholic here

Started by Warwick, August 19, 2018, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warwick

Hello, I'm new here and I'm 24. I have been going to Latin mass or the past 2 years and have been a medievalist all my life. Medieval Catholic spirituality warms my soul deeply. the connection for me got so undeniably strong I couldn't not go to a Latin mass to see for myself and it was amazing. I am in  Baltimore, MD, and while I have been to the Latin mass Parish there. I can not stand the city for the life of me. So I have been going to St. Lawerence, in Harrisburg, PA

sedmohradsko

That's quite a hike for mass!  I've visited St. Lawrence too!  I haven't been to St. Alphonsus in ages, the last time I went was before the FSSP took over.  Have you been there since it has?  I have been meaning to go for a visit.

Have you ever been to Mount Calvary in Baltimore?  It is an Ordinariate parish that is about as high-church as you can get.  Their mass is, I think, basically the Tridentine liturgy in English.  They haven't adopted a Novus Ordoish mass like some Ordinariate parishes are doing.

Gardener

Welcome. If you want good conversation, hit up the organist/schola director at the Harrisburg Fraternity parish. Great guy. Tell him Jon in Colorado says hi.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Warwick

Yeah I have been to all 3 and I have been to St. Alphonsus since then. Seems like there doing a lot better. I try to go there but I really cant stand the location and the city makes me a bit depressed honestly. Mount Calvary was nice as it had its own parking. but tbh huge culture shock seeing a priest with 7 kids. Use to them being celibate. Yeah St. Lawrence is far but when im there i seem to enjoy it most

Warwick

Sounds amazing thank you Gardener. My focus is on Medieval Military history and Chivalry  I am obv awestruck by the liturgy even if i don know much about it or is harder for me to get as its not my realm of focus. That being said one of the most powerful things i have seen in life is the bond between Chivalry and Catholicism, its so beautiful

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Fleur-de-Lys

Welcome, Warwick!

Are you a graduate student, or are you an amateur medievalist?

Warwick

Thank you everyone. I do it in my free time and have been wroting A Chivalric Romance for 4 years now.  Its a personal project, so not sure about publishing. Who knows. Love  the picture, pre Raphelite?

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Warwick on August 20, 2018, 06:03:57 PM
Thank you everyone. I do it in my free time and have been wroting A Chivalric Romance for 4 years now.  Its a personal project, so not sure about publishing. Who knows.

That sounds very interesting!

QuoteLove  the picture, pre Raphelite?

Are you referring to my avatar? It does look a bit pre-Raphaelite. I believe it's a photograph though. I'm not sure where it originated. It's just a random image I found online. I wanted to have an avatar of a lady reading, and I think this one represents me well.  :)

Serviam

It's a photo of Anne Hathaway from the movie "Becoming Jane". I didn't know that from having seen the movie, I reverse image searched it. I assure you I am very manly in my taste of movies and actually only seen two, namely Predator and Terminator II, oh and documentaries on firearms and meat processing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544587/I-could-only-become-Jane-by-reading-all-her-letters-admits-star.html

Welcome :)
With fear and trembling work out your salvation.

Warwick

Aww thank you Fleur, she looks very Pre Raphelite indeed, happy it fits  you thats  great. What do you like reading?

Thank you so much everyone

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Serviam on August 21, 2018, 02:55:47 AM
It's a photo of Anne Hathaway from the movie "Becoming Jane". I didn't know that from having seen the movie, I reverse image searched it. I assure you I am very manly in my taste of movies and actually only seen two, namely Predator and Terminator II, oh and documentaries on firearms and meat processing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544587/I-could-only-become-Jane-by-reading-all-her-letters-admits-star.html

Welcome :)

That's funny. I had no idea. But I do like Jane Austen and nineteenth-century literature in general. I also like medieval literature.

What about you, Warwick? Which medieval works are your favorites? Or do you prefer the nineteenth-century re-imaginings of the Middle Ages?

Carleendiane

Welcome, Warwick. I find what you've said interesting and welcome you, looking forward to your posts!  Hope you find this forum a good fit for you. Funny, your username makes me think of warlock, lol.  ;)
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.