Author Topic: Cassian's Conferences  (Read 1405 times)

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Christ ist erstanden
Cassian's Conferences
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
I'm selling my copy of Cassian's Conferences.  I've had it for several years and have only read it for maybe, one hour, so its like new because it just sits on a shelf.  I'd like to sell it to someone here before trying amazon. I'm asking $28, payment through paypal (that includes shipping; I'd rather ship in the US to avoid high costs, no offense to any foreign friends here).

This is what it looks like, although mine did not ship with the dust cover originally:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Cassian-Conferences-Ancient-Christian/dp/0809104849/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390260850&sr=1-2&keywords=cassians+conferences
"Mightier than the sound of many waters, mightier than the surgings of the sea: mighty is the Lord on high"
- Ps 92:4

Offline LouisIX

• Oberstleutnant
  • Hauptmann
  • "Libtard"-in-Residence
Re: Cassian's Conferences
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:27 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Cassian's Conferences.  Could you enlighten me just a bit as to their content?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
In a nutshell: St. John Cassian toured the Egyptian desert in the 4th century, visiting with various monks, the desert fathers.  The Conferences are the result of these discussions, and they are grouped into 24 conferences, each with its own subject.  Its actually very interesting to read if you get into that stuff.
"Mightier than the sound of many waters, mightier than the surgings of the sea: mighty is the Lord on high"

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
sold

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic. Straight, no chaser.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Cassian's Conferences.  Could you enlighten me just a bit as to their content?

St. John Cassian is widely credited for bringing much of what we know from the Eastern Monastic tradition, particularly that of the Desert Fathers, to the West.  As noted above, he spent a great deal of time traveling the desert and living with many of the most learned of spiritual masters to be found there.  He was also a contemporary of Saint John Chrysostom and is credited for the founding of an "Egyptian-style" monastery in Gaul, as well as probably influencing St. Benedict in his writing of the Holy Rule. 

His writings today are widely read by monastics, and studied from a scholarly standpoint as well.  The abbot of the monastery I visit on occasion did his S.T.D. on the writings of St. John Cassian, and recommended this book to me in the form of a commentary on those writings: http://www.amazon.com/Cassian-Oxford-Studies-Historical-Theology/dp/0195134842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391447597&sr=8-1&keywords=cassian+the+monk

I hope that is helpful.