FS: Lot of Scot Hahn Books

Started by CaptCrunch73, October 01, 2015, 04:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptCrunch73

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Bl. Karl Hapsburg

A few years back I used to listen to a lot of Scot Hahn and read a bit of Rome Sweet Home. Since discovering the latin mass I haven't had too much interest in him. However, He was important to my spiritual growth in proving that the Catholic Church is the church of the bible. Every protestant needs to hear him.
If people don't believe in God, they won't believe in nothing; they'll believe in anything - Chesterton

LausTibiChriste

He was influential in my conversion too. I havent read his stuff since the early part of my conversion, but I suspect he's basically a Prot in 'Catholic' clothing..like most NeoCaths are. Id rather read the label on my Polish shampoo than him, to be frank
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ResRev

Just popping in to say I like Dr Hahn. I'm not crazy about his style of writing, but I have many of his books and haven't found anything Protestant or that mind-numbing contortionist New Catholic drivel that makes my eyes bleed, which I frankly expect every time I open a mainstream Catholic work. With the exception of rah rahing VII in a very generic way, I think he's pretty un-objectionable at worst and pretty solid and an inspiring ally at best. I know something came up once about a "femininity of the Holy Ghost" issue that really bugged people, but I don't think it makes him a heretic. I just recently watched him on a Fox News report on the Church in America, and he was solidly Traditional for that 5 minutes when most people would have used the 5 minutes to sound like Cdls Dolan or Weurl. Good stuff. I wish I could find the clip. And I know going to the TLM does not make one Traditional, but he does go I know, we've attended Mass together before.

Just wanted to give him some support. Carry on...
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Christopher McAvoy

I wish they could be on the index of forbidden books. Whatever good they have done is not worth the bad they have done. He supports a new religion and a new church, not the Catholic Church.

MilesChristi

Show your work...give examples...such is a serious accusation...
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gardener

Quote from: Christopher McAvoy on October 09, 2015, 02:39:39 AM
I wish they could be on the index of forbidden books. Whatever good they have done is not worth the bad they have done. He supports a new religion and a new church, not the Catholic Church.

You should probably buy the whole lot to keep them out of the hands of lesser studied men.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Christina_S

Do explain.

I found "Rome Sweet Home" to be quite good. I've always enjoyed reading conversion stories though. A few of my friends went nuts when they heard he would be speaking at the Family Life conference in Alberta this past summer. I haven't read many of his other books though.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Christina_S on October 11, 2015, 07:43:42 AM
Do explain.

I found "Rome Sweet Home" to be quite good. I've always enjoyed reading conversion stories though. A few of my friends went nuts when they heard he would be speaking at the Family Life conference in Alberta this past summer. I haven't read many of his other books though.

That one, along with the Lamb's Supper and Hail Holy Queen helped me into the church.  That said, I was a neocat for awhile... .
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

queen.saints

I have a personal grudge against Scott Hahn ever since having to listen to his CD's for three weeks in a row at 7 am in a hot car while fasting on the way to daily mass with a well-meaning fssp-er. I may be biased, but being put on the index should be the least of his punishments.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

CaptCrunch73

The books sold but this was an interesting thread.

These books helped me back into the Church. I left the Church for 30 years an reverted (actually was catechecized by Catholic hating Protestants). After Reading the Bible and listening o what the Prots said I realized the Catholic Church was exactly what is said it was and alos realized that I knew next to nothing about Catholicism even though I was raised in the Church and went to Catholic schools from 6th grade though high school.

When I first came back I started via CA and was very VERY weary of trads so these books and the The One True Faith by CMTV played a crucial role in my coming back. As I learned more I found traditionalism but the other things like CA (yes I have my honorary been banned by CA badge) and Scott Hahn no longer are of any use to me hopefully they can play a similar role for somebody else.
"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
-- Thomas Aquinas

"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Anthony

Why would you sell this neo-Catholic trash? No offense, but I would never recommend his books to anyone.

Parresia

Quote from: ResRev on October 01, 2015, 01:14:46 PMI know something came up once about a "femininity of the Holy Ghost" issue that really bugged people, but I don't think it makes him a heretic.

I've seen that as well.  I believe his statement was something to the effect of God having both masculine and feminine attributes, or something like that. I did not particularly care for this take, but to fair, he is a theologian, and sometimes theologians go a bit too far. He was called out for that a while ago, and to his credit he plainly stated that if anyone in authority ever told him that the position was heretical he would recant the position immediately. 

CaptCrunch73

Quote from: Anthony on November 28, 2015, 04:57:33 PM
Why would you sell this neo-Catholic trash? No offense, but I would never recommend his books to anyone.

Well I think I explained that quite adeptly, please reread my posts in this thread.
-- Thomas Aquinas

-- Pope St. Gregory