Devotions to saints

Started by Lyubov, January 08, 2013, 11:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyubov

Do you have an attachment to a particular saint? Maybe your Confirmation saint, or one who has helped you in the past? Maybe a saint whose story reminds you of your own? Please share your stories here. :)
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Andrew - namesake.  X-shaped crosses are nifty.

Ignatius Loyola - Jesuit-educated.  Pretty hardcore.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

EcceQuamBonum

My personal bookplate depicts Our Lady, Sedes Sapientiae; St. Thomas Aquinas; St. Jerome; St. Thomas More; and St. Thomas Becket.  It has a quotation from St. Augustine.  (I mention the bookplate only because, as an inveterate bibliomane, I hold it very close to my heart.)  I invoke these beloved saints regularly (in addition to St. Anselm).  Most of this has to do with the fact that I aspire to be an academic, so I place my work under their collective patronage and seek to imitate them by remaining faithful in my scholarship.  I have More and Becket on there as a reminder always to bear true witness to the Faith in spite of worldly vainglory and never to yield to the caprices of earthly power.

"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Kaesekopf

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 08, 2013, 06:47:26 PM
My personal bookplate depicts Our Lady, Sedes Sapientiae; St. Thomas Aquinas; St. Jerome; St. Thomas More; and St. Thomas Becket.  It has a quotation from St. Augustine.  (I mention the bookplate only because, as an inveterate bibliomane, I hold it very close to my heart.)  I invoke these beloved saints regularly (in addition to St. Anselm).  Most of this has to do with the fact that I aspire to be an academic, so I place my work under their collective patronage and seek to imitate them by remaining faithful in my scholarship.  I have More and Becket on there as a reminder always to bear true witness to the Faith in spite of worldly vainglory and never to yield to the caprices of earthly power.

Elaborate?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 08, 2013, 06:50:38 PM

Elaborate?

I have my own bookplate, which I commissioned from Daniel Mitsui.  It's quite neat--letterpressed and everything!   :D  (Right now I only have my plates in my most special books.  I don't have the money to have them pressed for every book I own, unfortunately.  Plus, it would take me a month to paste one into each book...)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Lyubov on January 08, 2013, 11:22:27 AM
Do you have an attachment to a particular saint? Maybe your Confirmation saint, or one who has helped you in the past? Maybe a saint whose story reminds you of your own? Please share your stories here. :)

St. Joseph
St. Francisco Solano
St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Bernadette
St. Apollonia

Kaesekopf

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 08, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Elaborate?

I have my own bookplate, which I commissioned from Daniel Mitsui.  It's quite neat--letterpressed and everything!   :D  (Right now I only have my plates in my most special books.  I don't have the money to have them pressed for every book I own, unfortunately.  Plus, it would take me a month to paste one into each book...)

You are fancy.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 08, 2013, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 08, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Elaborate?

You are fancy.

Libraries is srs bzns.   ;D

TerrorDæmonum

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 08, 2013, 07:03:35 PM
Someone send him a Kindle.

No, thanks.  I refuse to own an e-reader.  I'm glad other people like them and use them, but I much prefer codex technology.   ;D

ServusSpiritusSancti

I have devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Raphael the Archangel.

dymphna17

I love this topic.  It's always interesting to learn about different saints and why people love them.

St. Therese the Little Flower - my confirmation saint, simplicity is a challenge for me and she is the best teacher

St. Dymphna - my Third Order patron, crazy stampedes through my family as well as the world in which we have to live

St. Joan of Arc - my other Third Order patron, her faith and trust in God and her strength in character is an example we can all follow, no one (not even herself) mattered when it came to doing God's Holy Will

The Holy Angels - They loved and trusted God enough to bow to His Will and love Him no matter what. Our Guardian Angels love us with great devotion even though they know how much we offend Him.  I would have a hard time being devoted to me.  What an example of loving our duties of state they are.

St. Joseph - To be the head of the Holy Family, not understanding everything, and still be a great man.  Who could ask for more in an example of a true Catholic?

St. Theresa of Avila - She never hesitated to tell it like it is.  Her strength through her humility gives me hope.

St. Ignatius Loyola - A great military man who took God's direction and changed not only his life, but others throughout history
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: dymphna17 on January 08, 2013, 08:36:46 PM
I love this topic.  It's always interesting to learn about different saints and why people love them.

Oh, I left out "why". Here are some bits of information, although they are not necessarily "why" I have a devotion, but perhaps a fruit of that devotion. The "why" is ultimately for the greater glory of God.

St. Joseph: Model of virtue I wish to follow, also, my name.
St. Francisco Solano: Missionary zeal I wish to follow, also, my name.
St. Thomas Aquinas: Intellectual and mystical example, great example of chastity.
St. Bernadette: She is my example to follow. She is very different from me.
St. Apollonia: Martyr, Healed a dental injury

phnuggle

Our Lady:  She loves me.  A lot.
St. Therese of the Child Jesus:  She taught me what a relationship with Jesus should look like.
St. Francis of Assisi:  Christlike is the only word for him.