Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 22, 2014, 01:54:48 PM
Yes, over-all the "return of the Jedi" was the weakest of the original three films.  But still pretty good.

Ewoks are creepy.

In the latest version, they now blink. So they're even creepier than before. And still slow the movie down to a crawl every time they appear.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Heinrich

Quote from: Larry on June 23, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
Yes, over-all the "return of the Jedi" was the weakest of the original three films.  But still pretty good.

Ewoks are creepy.

In the latest version, they now blink. So they're even creepier than before. And still slow the movie down to a crawl every time they appear.

Yeah. That and they elevate that neo homo C3PO to some divine status.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Larry

Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: Larry on June 23, 2014, 01:40:27 PM

Ewoks are creepy.

Yeah. That and they elevate that neo homo C3PO to some divine status.

:laugh:
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

totiusque

Ewoks are creepy.

Funny that the word 'ewok' never even appears in the film.  There's your trivia for the day.

Also funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it), is that my brother-in-law just traveled to a comic book store dressed up as a stormtrooper to meet one of the original actors who played an ewok - Felix Silla.  Silla also played in Spaceballs, Batman Returns, and the original Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica series, among many others.  Apparently he even went out for pizza with him and his group and was  a very nice guy.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Habitual_Ritual

Edge of Tomorrow.  Very good. Quite funny.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Lynne

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on June 24, 2014, 04:22:48 AM
Edge of Tomorrow.  Very good. Quite funny.

I want to see that...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Pheo

Yeah, worth re-watching.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Bernadette

Tiny: A Documentary About Living Small About the current trend to build "Tiny Houses," 100-ish square-foot houses on trailers (to get around minimun square foot requirements). While I admire these people's desire and commitment to simplify their lives and not be so caught up in materialism, it would be pretty hard to raise a family in a Tiny House! In fact, the only family (couple with children) that the filmmakers interviewed had to buy a 500 square-foot house on the market and relegate the Tiny House to the back yard.  :lol: I think that it would be an excellent idea for single people, though, especially now that technology and appliances are so much smaller.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

I really do prefer a 100 room mansion, with a large swimming pool, golf and tennis courts as well as a stable of horses to ride when I feel like it.  Of course all on a smaller scale than say Versailles, just to keep it simple.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

FaithByProxy

Quote from: Pheo on June 25, 2014, 10:48:21 PM

Yeah, worth re-watching.

I need to see this one again soon!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Arun

Quote from: Bernadette on June 26, 2014, 11:27:22 AM
Tiny: A Documentary About Living Small About the current trend to build "Tiny Houses," 100-ish square-foot houses on trailers (to get around minimun square foot requirements). While I admire these people's desire and commitment to simplify their lives and not be so caught up in materialism, it would be pretty hard to raise a family in a Tiny House! In fact, the only family (couple with children) that the filmmakers interviewed had to buy a 500 square-foot house on the market and relegate the Tiny House to the back yard.  :lol: I think that it would be an excellent idea for single people, though, especially now that technology and appliances are so much smaller.

theres a lot of those which pop up on the off-the-grid websites and self sufficiency ones. they look pretty cool, but yeah not for families.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Mono no aware

Michael Wilson

So Pon, what did you think of the movie?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mono no aware

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 30, 2014, 10:30:22 PM
So Pon, what did you think of the movie?

It was a bit "twee" for my tastes, but still okay.  The romance between the kids was nicely handled: it had an awkwardness that was believable, although I could've done without the cutesy acoustic indie ballads over some lovey-dovey montages.  Only the kids' characters, however, were well-developed; the adults were entirely two-dimensional, and Noah Taylor is a good actor who deserves better than playing a generic "sad sack dad."  He was in a much better coming-of-age movie when he himself was a kid.  I think I'll rate it three stars on Netflix.  Netflix considers a three-star rating to say "liked it."

Clare

I see the conversation has moved on to other things, but I just wanted to say, I love ewoks.

As you were...
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux