What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Baghdad Without a Map and other misadventures in Arabia by Tony Horwitz.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Gardener

Quote from: red solo cup on September 24, 2019, 03:46:24 AM
Baghdad Without a Map and other misadventures in Arabia by Tony Horwitz.

It's an interesting read.

QuoteThings were never what they appeared. Deviousness was a folk art, contradiction a way of life, and nowhere more so than in the Iran of the ayatollan revolution. Mr. Horwitz tells of attending a rally in Teheran during the funeral of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Black-suited men were marching down a street, beating their chests and raising their fists, chanting "death to America." Mr. Horwitz managed to find a demonstrator who knew English, but when the man found out that Mr. Horwitz was American, he turned the conversation in a peculiar direction: he wanted to talk about Disneyland. "It has always been my dream," he explained, "to go there and take my children on the tea-cup ride." With that, he rejoined the other marchers and resumed his death-to-America chant.
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/17/books/baghdad-without-a-map-where-yes-and-no-mean-maybe.html
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Bernadette

The Backbiting Tongue. And Winnie the Pooh.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Year of Wonders, by Geraldine Brooks. It's a novel about the Black Death. It's pretty boring, actually.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Last Plantagenets by Thomas B. Costain

Philip G.

I am reading "The man who founded california, the life of blessed junipero serra" by murville, ignatius press. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Bernadette

Heidi. I finally found my favorite translation in hardcover. Leather-bound, no less! Received it for my birthday.  ;D Guess I'm still young at heart.   :P
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

1/3 of the way through Louis de Wohl's Citadel of God, about St. Benedict.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

"Twelfth  Night" by "Shakespeare"
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

The Three Edwards by Thomas B. Costain.

Vetus Ordo

The Mukhtasar al-Quduri:

A manual of Islamic Law according to the Hanafi School.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jacob

Last week I read American Exorcism by Michael W. Cuneo.  I originally read it when it first came out in 2001 and used it as a source when I wrote a paper about exorcism in different religious traditions for a senior seminar in university.

Cuneo in the book examines exorcism and deliverance in both Catholic and protestant traditions, including the charismatics, prot and Catholic; the Pentecostals from whom the charismatics sprang; evangelicals; and the bona fide Catholic rite as performed by duly approved priests.  He interviews people and observes various deliverance and exorcism rites.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Quote from: Heinrich on October 20, 2019, 11:05:27 AM
"Twelfth  Night" by "Shakespeare"

I abandoned this read. Too much prose, and when there was pentameter, most of the endings were female. Picked up King Henry IV Part 1 and I find immensely edifying. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin, translated by Lisa C. Hayden.

Only on page one.  It's set in medieval Russia.  When it came out a few years ago, it won awards.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Lynne

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2019, 07:04:55 PM
Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin, translated by Lisa C. Hayden.

Only on page one.  It's set in medieval Russia.  When it came out a few years ago, it won awards.

It has good reviews on Amazon. Let us know what you think of it.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"