Author Topic: Class on Sunday  (Read 153 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Class on Sunday
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:22:43 PM »
I am currently a customer on Lingoda, which is a language learning platform. Classes are bought, credits given, and a curriculum is set up for you. Given my busy schedule, it is difficult to find classes during the week. A class I need for my unit is offered this Sunday. If I were to take it, would I be violating the Commandment?

Background: I am teaching Spanish for the first time ever this school year. It’s tough alternating from German to Spanish, especially when I am not nearly as fluent in Spanish. I needs the practice. Lingoda is a fantastic platform. Highly recommended.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Melkor

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Class on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:36:50 PM »
I am currently a customer on Lingoda, which is a language learning platform. Classes are bought, credits given, and a curriculum is set up for you. Given my busy schedule, it is difficult to find classes during the week. A class I need for my unit is offered this Sunday. If I were to take it, would I be violating the Commandment?

Background: I am teaching Spanish for the first time ever this school year. It’s tough alternating from German to Spanish, especially when I am not nearly as fluent in Spanish. I needs the practice. Lingoda is a fantastic platform. Highly recommended.

I'd talk to your priest before signing up. I think that, if it's for work and you legitimately cannot find another day to do it, should be fine. But talk to your priest before making a decision.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Jmartyr

• Wachtmeister
  • "Merci Monseigneur"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 09:06:52 PM »
I can be scrupulous as hell at times, but it seems since you are doing this for your family, and you are pretty busy, it seems ok. But of course, a priest should be consulted when in doubt.
“If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators.” - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre

Offline Justin Martyr

• Slave of Mary
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:08 AM »
The class involves purely intellectual work, correct? Then it is not servile labor and is licit on the Lord's Day.
One is my dove, my perfect one is but one, she is the only one of her mother, the chosen of her that bore her. The daughters saw her, and declared her most blessed: the queens and concubines, and they praised her. Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in array?
The Canticle of Canticles, 6:8-9

While those who give scandal are guilty of the spiritual equivalent of murder, those who take scandal — who allow scandals to destroy faith —are guilty of spiritual suicide.
St. Francis de Sales, The Catholic Controversy

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Heinrich, Jmartyr, Lynne, Melkor

Offline GMC

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:06:46 PM »
The class involves purely intellectual work, correct? Then it is not servile labor and is licit on the Lord's Day.

I thought that "servile labor" was paid work. That's how I learned it. So, If your job is intellectual, can you work on Sunday without sinning?

What is your source?